Reporting & Analytics

bremick
Participant

Form submission Source tracking

SOLVE

I need to find a way to see what source a contact came from when filling out a form. I know this seems simple because you can get this from the form metrics, but we're trying to track our Qualified leads vs just total form submissions, and there doesn't seem to be a good way to do that. We actively use the Lead Source and Lifecycle Stage properties to track Marketing Qualified and Customer leads, and there's no good source property to connect them to in an active list or report.

Original Source is nice, but it only works if the contact record originally came in on that form, not if they were already in the database through another form, a list import, or other sources.

Latest Source is nice also, but if you have a contact that loves to fill out forms every day (it does happen), their latest source will not necessarily reflect the form you're trying to report on.

Would a report be a better option? What data point do I target to build it? Or is there another list filter that I'm not thinking of?

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @bremick,

You're correct, this information is not accessible in a default report. If you want to see this for specific forms, it requires a bit of additional configuration and will unfortunately only populate the information going forward.

(Unless you're interested in this information for individual contacts. In that case you can simply look up the date of their form submission and then the value they had in the latest source fields at that time by checking the property history.)

To have this information available in bulk, we need to create a custom property and a workflow. The custom property is a clone of the latest source propertie(s), e.g.

• Source at the time of [form name] submission
  • Source at the time of [form name] submission drill-down 1
  • Source at the time of [form name] submission drill-down 2

You would then set up a workflow which enrolls contact then they submit the form and then copies the values as shown below:

• Latest source > Source at the time of [form name] submission
  • Latest source drill-down 1 > Source at the time of [form name] submission drill-down 1
  • Latest source drill-down 2 > Source at the time of [form name] submission drill-down 2

You can then report on your three new properties to access the source information for a specific form. I know, it would be better if we had access to this information out of the box for all forms but unfortunately we don't.

(If you want this information historically, it's probably more than a few minutes you'll spend on this – unless you're an Excel legend. You would have to export the property history of the latest source propertie(s) and the form submission dates of the forms you're interested in, dynamically look up in Excel which latest source a contact had at the time of their individual submission and then re-import the correct value in to the cloned property described above.)

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @bremick,

You're correct, this information is not accessible in a default report. If you want to see this for specific forms, it requires a bit of additional configuration and will unfortunately only populate the information going forward.

(Unless you're interested in this information for individual contacts. In that case you can simply look up the date of their form submission and then the value they had in the latest source fields at that time by checking the property history.)

To have this information available in bulk, we need to create a custom property and a workflow. The custom property is a clone of the latest source propertie(s), e.g.

• Source at the time of [form name] submission
  • Source at the time of [form name] submission drill-down 1
  • Source at the time of [form name] submission drill-down 2

You would then set up a workflow which enrolls contact then they submit the form and then copies the values as shown below:

• Latest source > Source at the time of [form name] submission
  • Latest source drill-down 1 > Source at the time of [form name] submission drill-down 1
  • Latest source drill-down 2 > Source at the time of [form name] submission drill-down 2

You can then report on your three new properties to access the source information for a specific form. I know, it would be better if we had access to this information out of the box for all forms but unfortunately we don't.

(If you want this information historically, it's probably more than a few minutes you'll spend on this – unless you're an Excel legend. You would have to export the property history of the latest source propertie(s) and the form submission dates of the forms you're interested in, dynamically look up in Excel which latest source a contact had at the time of their individual submission and then re-import the correct value in to the cloned property described above.)

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

RLaub
Participant

SOLVE

This is very helpful. I'm a bit new to HubSpot but wondering how I might modify this to do at scale. I'd like to capture the source data for ANY form on my website. How could I do that with the workflow? I'd also like to capture the date when the form was submitted, unless that is a default property.

0 Upvotes
bremick
Participant

SOLVE

If this helps, this is how we used Karsten's information to resolve.

First, we created 5 new data properties in settings:
Lead Properties.PNG

Then, in workflows, we used a date stamp step to capture the date

date capture.PNG

And Used a copy property value step to pull the "Latest Source" property information to the other new properties

latest source copy.PNG

From there, we could either target the new properties in list filters, or just add the columns to our lists to see the source information.

list properties.PNG

Took a bit to plan out and set up, but we've been able to run the reports we need since then. But if you apply this to the workflows you build for your forms, it will work for any of them.

0 Upvotes