Reporting & Analytics

DBrown3190
Participant

External Webpages Tied to a Campaign + UTM parameters

SOLVE

When creating a HS campaign, I see we can add external webapges. When adding a URL with multipls UTMs, it says: "You can only add one query parameter for each website URL."

Does this mean the campaign will show a pageview/conversion for any URLs that exactly match the URL + UTM or would it include activity where a user visits a URL that contains the single UTM value added to the HS campaign + other UTM values?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Jnix284
Solution
Hall of Famer | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi @DBrown3190 since you're adding the External website page to a campaign, you would only want to include the UTM parameter for the campaign.

The campaign query parameter is what will associate the URL for the entire campaign in HubSpot.

Your UTMs will still track in analytics so you know what the medium and source are, but for the purposes of associating to the campaign you would only need to add the URL one time using the campaign parameter and not for each combination.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @DBrown3190,

Thanks for reaching out to the Community!

Could you please show us an example with some screenshots of the process you are following so we can see the options you are looking at, and help answer your question more effectively?

Thanks!

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
DBrown3190
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Diana,

Sure thing! So one example is if I add a page with 3 utm values (ex: pages.dataiku.com/manufacturing-use-case-library?utm_campaign=GLO%20CONTENT%20Manufacturing%20Kit%20FY25&utm_source=adwords&utm_medium=paid-search) I get this message in red saying I can only use one of them.

Screenshot 2024-06-05 at 8.11.58 AM.png

Since we always need to use those 3 values for tracking purposes, I was just curious if I use the utm_medium=paid-search as the single value when adding the external page to thos campaign along with the utm_campaign and utm_source if the page views/conversions will still show up in this campaign OR would I only be allowed to use the utm_medium in order for it to be tracked under this campaign? 

I'm just unclear on if I add an external page with a utmvalue if its acts as a "Contains" vs "Exact" match to add the page to the campaign. 

Thank you!

0 Upvotes
DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @DBrown3190,

Thank you for the information and the screenshot.

Let's seek advice from some of our experts on this matter.

Hi @Jnix284, @Lucila-Andimol, @danmoyle - Do you have any insights to share on this matter?

Thanks!
Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @DBrown3190 since you're adding the External website page to a campaign, you would only want to include the UTM parameter for the campaign.

The campaign query parameter is what will associate the URL for the entire campaign in HubSpot.

Your UTMs will still track in analytics so you know what the medium and source are, but for the purposes of associating to the campaign you would only need to add the URL one time using the campaign parameter and not for each combination.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin