Differences between Google and Hubspot website analytics

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hello, I am ramping up in Hubspot and am getting the inevitable question about why there is a difference between Google analaytics and Hubspot analytics. I know that they can both be used in tandem to provide the best reporting, but for page views, bounce rate, etc., we'd really like to use Hubspot as our "one source of truth" and know that there will be differences and be able to explain those. I've read a few articles, but also wanted to ask long-time users your thoughts.

0 Upvotes
3 Replies
Esteemed Contributor

We've run into a similar problem. The conclusion I've come to is it depends on how your GA is set up and what metrics you are looking for. (Our's tracks leads through form submissions by tracking the thank you page)

I'm not sure if the GA integration is locked behind a pay tier but if not I'd suggest linking them up ASAP and give it a month to populate with data and then use that to look at the stats. 

In general, if you're using HubSpot I'd integrate your GA and then just use HubSpot as it will do the integration, trying to use two systems just ends up in confusion especially if they define similar things differently like what a "lead" is. 

If you have any more specific questions I'll try to answer them as best I can Smiley Happy

Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick reply. We are seeing a slight difference in page views, visits and aren't quite sure how 'Google and Hubspot view these in terms of definition. I believe we should pull the bandaid off and trust Hubspot and use Google for more specific things like New vs. Returning and other things that Hubspot doesn't provide.

Esteemed Contributor

Yeah in general HubSpot provides much more data, especially when it comes to sources. As for the "new vs returning" metric, there is a "New Visitor Sessions" datapoint you can use with the overall sessions to get that. Also depending on how you define "Returning" you can filter to just contact page views as well. 

0 Upvotes