Reporting & Analytics

10xManagement

Cookie tracking and identity preservation between forms

SOLVE

I have a multi-step "form" that is composed of several individual hubspot forms on linked webpages. Submitting the first form redirects you to the next form, so on and so forth until the final form submits (~1 question per page).

We cleared all cookies since the dawn of time and ran through the flow over the course of several attempts.  An email is captured in the very first step and that form creates a contact... the remaining forms are submitted as having no contact.

Cookie tracking is enabled on all of the questions. What might we be doing wrong?

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
roisinkirby
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @10xManagement at this time it is not possible to cookie the information of the first form in the short time it takes for the next form to appear - which is why email is necessary in this case. 

Dependent field forms and/or smart fields are two features you can use to create multi-step forms that do not require the addition of email each time. Full instructions here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/forms/can-i-create-a-multi-step-form

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hi @10xManagement thanks for posting!

All form submissions should be recorded on the contact record created from the first submission. Would it be possible for you to provide a link to this form and confirm whether you are using the Forms API or not?

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

HI @10xManagement, in follow up to the above there most likely isn't enough time from the first submission to the page with the second form loading on it for a contact to be created and contextually loaded through the HS Tracking Code upon page load.

With this in mind, the HubSpot Support team reccommends to always have an email field on forms so the data is tied to the original contact record created. 

Without an email field HubSpot won't be able to recognise the contact. 

0 Upvotes
10xManagement

SOLVE

@roisinkirby Thanks very much for the update. So, the issue is probably that the cookie works as it should, but is updated after the completion of the first form. Seems like that should be added to the documentation.

We chose to use hubspot for the forms for the reason that it is claimed that it will track identity via the browser between forms.

It is a little burdensome to ask for an email on every page. But we'll try with a smart field and see if that isn't too inconvenient.

That said, when I started working on this I saw a lot of people online who were interested in being able to create a multi-step form via hubspot... Where questions were presented in isolation (Step1 > Next Question > Step 2 > Next Question > Last Step > Submit.). Definitely would be a useful feature and would eliminate this issue.

0 Upvotes
roisinkirby
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @10xManagement at this time it is not possible to cookie the information of the first form in the short time it takes for the next form to appear - which is why email is necessary in this case. 

Dependent field forms and/or smart fields are two features you can use to create multi-step forms that do not require the addition of email each time. Full instructions here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/forms/can-i-create-a-multi-step-form

0 Upvotes