Cookie Banner controlling Google Analytics tracking to comply with GDPR

Highlighted

Hi everyone, 

Since November, for those of us hosting our site in Hubspot, the GDPR feature is now blocking GA tracking unless visitors opt-in in the cookie policy bar.

To prevent this from happening, Hubspot is offering a workaround—and at the same time cautioning that under this route, we're on our own to figure out how to be compliant with GDPR.

I recently posted on LinkedIn about this, hoping to crowdsource the best way to move forward here. If you want to hop in there if you have any insights, I'd appreciate it.

0 Upvotes
1 Reply 1
HubSpot Product Team

Hi @achehade,

Thank you for your post! My name is Matt, and I work with HubSpot’s engineering teams. I’m sorry that the change we implemented in November regarding tracking codes loading on the page only after consent from a page visitor has been painful for you. We want to make sure that the GDPR tools that we offer to our customers are as effective as possible for helping you be GDPR-compliant; I recognize that with this, a change we made went against your expectations and is not convenient for your use case.

As you mentioned, there is a workaround available to assist in being compliant using Google’s User Opt-out feature: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/user-opt-out. Implementing this may require the assistance of a web developer.

Thank you,

Matt

0 Upvotes