Reporting & Analytics

aljones
Contributor

Capitalize Field Values in Report Builder

Does anyone know of a way to have the HubSpot Report show the field values as they are in the property options - I dont know why - but it seems like HubSpot is converting all text to lowercase, which is really annoying because we are hoping to build reports that feed into dashboards that we can use directly in presentations - the formatting of these reports is not great with the lowecase.

aljones_1-1634307056134.png

19 Replies 19
vanessahunt
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner
Top Contributor | Platinum Partner

I have the same issue, whilst creating a custom report for a client, which groups on a calculated property. The calculated property's formula returns a string defined in title case e.g. Open, and when I test it, it returns Open. However, in the custom report that includes this property it reverts to open - which doesn't look very professional ...

We need more control over the display of property labels in Reports. It would also help to have the ability to define a visual hierarchy (similar to website headings) especially in TABLES (summary / pivot reports). Happy to speak to a HubSpot Product Manager to share some real use cases 😁

0 Upvotes
SkylerReeves
Participant

Discovered this issue today. It makes the data look very unprofessional. Something I'd expect from Pipedrive, not HubSpot.

BérangèreL
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @SkylerReeves,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and for your valuable Product Feedback!

I have found this similar idea already submitted: "Keep case format in Deal and Company Names instead of changing to lowercase in reports".

I'd recommend supporting the Idea with an upvote and explaining your use case in the comments.

Our product team uses that forum to collect ideas on how we can improve the product for our customers.

Product pays particular attention to the top voted ideas & takes them into consideration along with other feedback channels as well as their own vision to understand what features will be most valuable.

Thanks and have a great day!

Best,
Bérangère

Saviez-vous que la Communauté est disponible en Français ?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings!

0 Upvotes
RHimsl
Participant

I have the same issue. The company name is displayed (and exported) fully in lower case. It makes our reporting dashboard look less professional and adds extra work when exporting data for management/investor presentations. Hopefully this gets fixed.

0 Upvotes
jippel
Participant

HubSpot - this needs to be addressed. Reports without the proper formatting just look sloppy.

RAbernathy
Participant

I am having the same issue and it's doing it on the first and last name fields of a contact record.

RBlonk
Participant

Same problem here, some field have Capitalizations and some not. Unfortunately, this looks really unprofessional in our reporting towards our investors. In our case, it is the single line text deal property "Company name". The Record-ID solution of TrueJayjay (nicely found!) does not work for us because we only want the company name and not additionally the name of a contact behind it. Hope this can be solved and recognised as an issue, which it is.

JLavery
Contributor | Diamond Partner

I am having the same issue with a report and wondered if anyone had found a fix for this? I am working on a test dev portal which doesn't include tech support so am unable to find a solution that way unfortunately. Hoping someone may be able to shed some light?!

Thanks

Joan

TrujayJay
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

Hi Joan! I've found that if you pull in the Record ID, it tends to fix it. In my situation, I was trying to pull in the Company Name, which showed up as lowercase. But when I pulled the Record ID instead, it gave me the name capitalized as it should be. Hope this helps!

Trujay | Noah Hendricks
JLavery

Thanks for the quick response @TrujayJay!

I am specifically trying to capitalise the 'country' deal property - how do I locate the Record ID for that? 

0 Upvotes
TrujayJay

Hey Joan - Unfortunately, no!

@TiphaineCuisset You should be able to replicate this by building a custom 'pivot table' report. My working theory is that text fields show up as all lowercase, whereas dropdown fields show up in Title case:

Screen Shot 2022-08-22 at 3.38.23 PM.png

Trujay | Noah Hendricks
JLavery

Thank you @TrujayJay, I will give that a go!  

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @JLavery @TrujayJay and everyone in this thread, 

@TrujayJay thank you I was able to reproduce with your message!

I had a look internally with the team and I can confirm this is working as designed. 

The reason for this is so that we can group "the university of texas" and "The University of Texas" into the same bucket. Basically, if we want the case-insensitivity, we have to also lose the original formatting of the text. 

The primary reason for some fields being capitalized while others are not would be deduplication and bucketing; in order for the reporting tool to recognize similar values it needs certain values to align, meaning they'll be in a specific case format to make sure they're the same across objects.

I hope that makes sense!

Thank you

Best

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

MLux4
Participant

@TiphaineCuisset 
What you said makes no sense. I understand that you are storing the data with lower case in the backend but this doesn't justify why it needs to display in lower case.

Display formatting should be able to be set regardless of how the data is stored. 

Can you please allow format for text fields with Title case? 

0 Upvotes
TrujayJay

Same issue here as well. It's quite annoying.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 10.54.27 AM.png

Trujay | Noah Hendricks
0 Upvotes
roland_deshane
Participant

@TiphaineCuisset - If we're creating a report by "Company Name", why would your example of "group "the university of texas" and "The University of Texas" into the same bucket" apply? The intent here is really to create a report by Company ID and so the "Company Name" field would wouldn't have two different values for the same Company ID. If there were two different Company ID's with the same value for "Company Name" but with different cases, I'd want this to display as different items on the report, not bucketed together. My next step would then be to merge those duplicates. 

Your example makes me think HubSpot is basically obfusacting duplicats based on the value in the "Company Name" property. 

0 Upvotes
SLindmont
Participant | Platinum Partner
Participant | Platinum Partner

Same issue here. We started questioning if our data was correct with the integration we were working on. This looks really unprofessional in our reporting for management. Reports should not change property values in layout.

0 Upvotes
ddobrien2
Participant

We're having the same issue. Multiple fields in reports now defaulting to lower case in exports (and sometimes onscreen). I did reach out to HubSpot support and they seemed to dismiss it as being a problem and suggested some of the issues could be solved with workflows. But, what's odd is that we have old reports where exports export fields with the same formatting (Title Case) correctly. And now we have some reports where it's always exporting names in lower case. 

TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @aljones 

Thank you for reaching out.

Does it happen with any property? I cannot reproduce this on my portal, I would recommend connecting with HubSpot Technical Support, as Support is included in your subscription and they will be able to provide real-time assistance for this matter, where you are able to share the specific report mentioned here. 

Thank you!

Best

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?

Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !