Reporting & Analytics

Bryantworks
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

Best practices for campaigns to prevent duplicate influenced revenue

SOLVE

Good morning all!

I was looking for insight into how other users best handle the influenced revenue within the campaign analytics tool.  We're confident that revenue is being double counted, but we're wondering if the community has a best practice for preventing or minimizing this.  My first thought is we got a bit too granular with our campaigns so it's hard to attribute one to another.  Is there a way currently to look at closed deals versus last touch point to gain insight on this?

Chris Bryant | Your Dedicated HubSpot Expert
0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
PatrickEng
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

@Bryantworks,

So a few things.

It sounds like this other thread might be along the same vein as what you're talking about. I'd recommend go upvoting it as that is a great indicator for HubSpot engineers to figure out what to prioritize. 

Second, just so I'm understanding correctly, the issue is that when looking at the Influenced Revenue metric in a specific campaign, it doesn't really look at a contacts last touch and a closed deal. It's more generalized and can include overlapping deals across multiple campaigns.

I played around with the custom reports tool, and I recommend you throw a few properties in there and see if you can start to narrow it down.

For example, I took a look at one of our campaigns influenced revenue and let's pretened it said 5 million. But I went into the custom reports builder, and the report that was created that was attributing the specific last touch converting campaign with the clsoed deal amount.

So, instead of looking at the report in the campaigns tool that said 5 million in influenced revenue, I can actually look at the report I build in the report builder and see that we closed 1 million dollars worth deals. 

Again, I still need to make sure that all this checks out as I was just experimenting a bunch, but if you want to give it a shot and see what happens, here's what I did:

1. Create a cross-data set report using deals and contacts

2. Selected Properties included: Create Date, Lifecycle Stage, Amount of the deal, deal stage, Last touch converting campaign, first touch converting campaign, close date.

Deal filter was all of the closed deal stages

4. Visaulize it

While it might not be the cleanest method, I think it is a step closer to some more solid numbers. Maybe with some more data manipulation you can get closer. Hope that helps!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
PatrickEng
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

@Bryantworks,

So a few things.

It sounds like this other thread might be along the same vein as what you're talking about. I'd recommend go upvoting it as that is a great indicator for HubSpot engineers to figure out what to prioritize. 

Second, just so I'm understanding correctly, the issue is that when looking at the Influenced Revenue metric in a specific campaign, it doesn't really look at a contacts last touch and a closed deal. It's more generalized and can include overlapping deals across multiple campaigns.

I played around with the custom reports tool, and I recommend you throw a few properties in there and see if you can start to narrow it down.

For example, I took a look at one of our campaigns influenced revenue and let's pretened it said 5 million. But I went into the custom reports builder, and the report that was created that was attributing the specific last touch converting campaign with the clsoed deal amount.

So, instead of looking at the report in the campaigns tool that said 5 million in influenced revenue, I can actually look at the report I build in the report builder and see that we closed 1 million dollars worth deals. 

Again, I still need to make sure that all this checks out as I was just experimenting a bunch, but if you want to give it a shot and see what happens, here's what I did:

1. Create a cross-data set report using deals and contacts

2. Selected Properties included: Create Date, Lifecycle Stage, Amount of the deal, deal stage, Last touch converting campaign, first touch converting campaign, close date.

Deal filter was all of the closed deal stages

4. Visaulize it

While it might not be the cleanest method, I think it is a step closer to some more solid numbers. Maybe with some more data manipulation you can get closer. Hope that helps!

Bryantworks

SOLVE

Thanks for the input @PatrickEng and @sharonlicari ,

Unfortunately the last touch converting campaign won't work us as it seems like it's just creation date based:

• Last touch converting campaign: the campaign responsible for the last touch creation of this contact.

We really only perform marketing emails inside of HubSpot, so we're looking for last email campaign send before upsell purchase.  

Thanks!

Chris Bryant | Your Dedicated HubSpot Expert
sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @Bryantworks 

Usually, the Influenced Revenue metric combines the total revenue of the Closed Won deals associated with contacts in this campaign.

I am not sure what steps or what best practice you can follow, however, I am pretty confident that our experts can give you more ideas about this 🙂

Hey, @PatrickEng and @ConnorSlivensky have you ever come across with a similar situation as @Bryantworks is mentioning here? Do you have any thoughts or tips you might want to share with Bryan?

Happy Friday

Thank you

Sharon 

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes