Attribution Modeling on Hubspot/Salesforce Stack

greenejc

Hello all.

I wonder if anybody has found a solution that will provide multi-touch attribution modeling on a Hubspot/Salesforce stack?  To be specific, we have a marketing/sales handoff and a sales team finishing the close, so the solution would need to be capable of taking closed sales with revenue data from Salesforce and attributing it across hubspot marketing initiatives for an accurate multi-touch model.

Hope you're all doing well. 

0 Upvotes
2 Replies 2
bradmin
Key Advisor

Hi, @greenejc. This is a good question, and it's one that has a bunch of options. 

You may want to consider doing this kind of analysis strictly on the Salesforce side, and it may require a little extra configuration first. Some smart folks can probably figure out ways to run HubSpot-side reports based off of Salesforce data; I prefer doing it the other way around.

Most of the conversions you'd want to track come in the form of HubSpot form submissions, and relevant email actions. In order to complete this kind of analysis, you'll want to sync HubSpot form submissions, email opens, and clicks as Salesforce tasks when they occur. You can then report on tasks and the relevant contacts they're associated with in Salesforce. You could even add hidden form fields that can assist with this kind of analysis; I've added helper fields on key high-value HubSpot forms to provide extra context when the info syncs to Salesforce.

[NOTE: Based on volume, this has the potential to increase API calls and jeopardize Salesforce data storage limits. If you're considering mapping one of these activity types to Salesforce, review typical volumes with your administrator to ensure there aren't any concerns. I do not recommend mapping HubSpot email sends as Salesforce activities, as you'll chew up a significant amount of resources, typically more than the other three types put together. Their informational value in Salesforce is almost never worth the extra calls and storage.]

Plenty of opportunities for mad science exist here. In lieu of Salesforce reporting on tasks, you could do task-to-[lead/contact] automation with Process Builder in Salesforce, if it's easier to push data up to the contacts who are associated with opportunities you're counting in your analysis.

You could also do things with Salesforce campaign enrollment. Since Salesforce campaigns are natively designed to track ROI when associated with opportunities, you may want to look for key events to associate leads and contacts with Salesforce campaigns instead. Salesforce campaign enrollment is a workflow action possible with either HubSpot or Salesforce workflows, so this is a pretty flexible action.

Lastly, you can map HubSpot analytic properties to Salesforce leads and contacts. Seeing values like the HubSpot Original Source/Drill-down 1/Drill-down 2 values can provide extra granularity onto the contacts you're associating with your closed won opportunities. 

Whichever scheme (or combination of) is a function of your business and the use case. Start small and manageable, get input from your stakeholders, then iterate until you've got a good working model.

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
JPullan
Contributor

Hi @bradmin , thanks so much for the pointers in your reply some years ago.

I am working with the same tech stack as the orginial questioner and have chosen to go down the HS workflow pushing updates to SF campaigns route, but am having difficulty getting the Campaign reports out of Salesforce that show multi-touch attribution. 

I have managed to get to a 'first touch' + 'last touch' model by mapping the Orginial Source fields from HubSpot -> Salesforce and using the Primary Campaign Source field on the Opportunity. Is it possible to go further and see other campaigns that may have influenced before that final conversion? (without just migrating to Pardot)

Any pointers you may have, greatly appreciated.

Thanks

0 Upvotes