Attempting to report on the conversion rate of landing pages using external forms in an iFrame

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hey guys,

I have a landing page with an account creation form that's integrated via an iFrame.

The form itself has HubSpot Form API hooked up, and the HubSpot tracking code is present on both the Landing Page itself and also the page that's being displayed in the iFrame.

My question relates to my difficulties in being able to easily show conversion rate and ROI for the campaigns.

When the submission is taking place via the HubSpot form it's easy to do, but the iFrame being present on the landing page adds a layer of complexity.

I'd ideally like a dashboard showing traffic in per channel and new prospects per channel.

If this could be done on the Landing Page level then even better, but I'd settle for a day by day overview of new submissions per channel.

Any ideas?

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
Highlighted
HubSpot Product Team

@MMunroe do you know if this possible?

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Inbound Professor

Hi @tims,

Great question! If you are using the Forms API to pass contacts into HubSpot, you're traffic should be bucketed correctly as long as the cookie is correctly passed.

Moving forward, I recommend adding the Sources area of your traffic analytics report to your dashboard to keep an eye on  traffic in per channel and new prospects (contacts) per channel.

Best,

Jorie

Highlighted
Occasional Contributor

Hi @MMunroe,

It seems like there's an issue with attribution when iFrames are utilised.

I got an answer from another member of the HubSpot team in terms of the issues relating to iFrames and some options in terms of getting around this - I'll post below in case anyone else has similar issues.

When it comes to HubSpot iFrames can be problematic, please see an article we have referring to such issues here. They are best considered as a 'window' into another website and for this reason there isn't any real connection between the page they are displayed on. In fact some people even prevent their site from being loaded in an iframe entirely (view here for more information).  This is usually done to prevent clickjacking. So this leaves us with two options to explore. 
Let me elaborate on them here.

Option 1: HubSpot CTA and forms API (Recommended)
We replace the form on the HubSpot landing page with a CTA that links to your platform registration page. We would then handle submissions of the form using the HubSpot Forms API. Submitting data from a form using the API is documented below:
This way we preserve the users journey as best as possible. You can still use the HubSpot LP to market and capture leads. The only thing is that they click from that page through to the form which is hosted on your own platform. The cookie (user token) that was dropped by our tracking code is passed through to HubSpot as a result of the submission and we can report on the attribution correctly. 

Option 2: HubSpot Form trigger webhook in workflow
It would also be possible to replace the iframe on the HubSpot landing page with a HubSpot form. When the form is submitted we could enroll the contact into a workflow and trigger a webhook. Webhooks are a great way of incorporating your own logic into HubSpot functionality. More information can be found here:

Highlighted
Inbound Professor

Hey @tims,

Thank you for sharing what you found! 

Best,

Jorie

0 Upvotes