Are right-clicks counted as clicks?

datavertigo
Participant

When a user right-clicks on a link and opens in a new window or tab, how is that measured in Hubspot?

• What gets populated in the original source for the contact?
  • Are each opened window/tab counted toward the same session? 
  • This may not impact CTAs since they each have UTM parameters, but what about in-line links or other links on the page, especially navigation?

I could not find any language in the documentation I was finding about how right-clicking is measured. The Events API does not mention it as an example of a custom event. CTA performance didn't mention it. Cookies do a good job explaining CTA tracking, and maybe a little about the session overall, but not how pathways or conversions are attributed to right-clicking.

I will likely have more questions depending on the answers to these, but I appreciate being able to start the discussion!

0 Upvotes
3 Replies 3
karstenkoehler
Most Valuable Member

Hi @datavertigo,

I would be very surprised if a page opened through right click > open new tab/window would be treated any differently by HubSpot website traffic tracking than a regular left click. The type of click isn't recorded, only the result: the actual view of the page that the link is directing to. That's due to how the HubSpot tracking code works: The code loads with the page.

For sessions, there wouldn't be any difference either, as far as I know, unless the link is opened in a private tab or window.

Regarding the original source, again right or left click wouldn't make a difference. HubSpot will store the utm parameters on the contact record, if the contact has accepted website cookies and fills out a form.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
Freelance Digital Marketing Advisor

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
datavertigo
Participant

So perhaps my main questions are around UX and CRO decisions. How is the performance of non-CTA links, buttons and navigation measured? 

For example, let's say a card-style, related-products module is used that links to individual product pages. If 100 people visit a particular page with this module on it, and 9 people right-click the suggested products and 1 person left-clicks, then would I see a 10% CTR on that module or 1%? Maybe the reporting shows the user went from one page to the other, but it doesn't tell me by what means unless the click is measured on the element clicked. Or am I off base?

If you're saying that, regardless if a user clicks or right-clicks, that both are logged as clicks, then there is no issue. But I can't find anywhere in the Hubspot docs that right-clicks are logged at all.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Most Valuable Member

Hi @datavertigo,

A standalone right click (not followed by any action such as "Open in new tab") wouldn't be registered at all by the HubSpot tracking code. Once a tab or window is opened however, it's all the same to the HubSpot tracking code. A page view is a page view.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler
Freelance Digital Marketing Advisor

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.