Productivity Tools

Ktamir
Participant | Platinum Partner

Issue in updating a marketing contact based on multiple imports

SOLVE

Hi all,

I've been trying to find a solution for this issue for a while now and would appreciate your help.

We are updating the marketing contact status on one of our customer's portals based on a list we are getting daily. This list is derived from an external platform the customer uses where the contact needs to approve (or not) receiving communication from them upon purchasing tickets (we can't use API for this...).

We can have 3 situations:

1. No change - the amount of people doesn't change which means we don't need to do anything
  2. Amount of people has decreased - which means one of those that were approved are now no longer approved and should be changed to non-marketing (opt out)
  3. Amount of people has increased - which means we have new people in the list and we need to opt them in.

We have uplaoded the orignal list so we need to check everytime as opposed to this list.

How would yoy go about it?

PS: they have marketing enterprise...

Thanks...

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Ktamir,

When you say marketing / non-marketing, are you referring to HubSpot's billing feature or are you talking about consent (subscription type opt status)?

In any case, I don't think that – at a second glance – this is a complicated as it seems.

If you're referring to marketing contacts, you would run a daily import. Cases 1 and 3 are automatically covered. If the amount stays the same, the import doesn't change anything, so you could simply mindlessly run it. If the number increases, new contacts are created. In both cases, you simply import and mark all contacts as marketing contacts.

For case number 2, you would only have to check this on the last day of the month. Before that, throughout the month, marking contacts as non-marketing contacts does not have an effect anyway. You can do it but it will only take effect the next month anyway. If you use a good import naming convention, you could create a list where Latest source drill-down 2 has every contained any of "Ticket import March", for example, but where Latest source drill-down 2 doesn't contain any of "Ticket import March 31". That way, you would get all contacts imported before the last day of the month and could all mark them as non-marketing contacts.

If you're referring to subscription opt-in, automation could look like this: In a contact-based workflow, you re-enroll contacts where Latest source drill-down 2 contains any of "Ticket import" and where the subscription status is currently not opted. The workflow would then set the subscription status of the subscription type to opted-in. It would also store the current date in a custom property. In a second workflow, you could enroll all contacts who are currently opted into the subscription type and where the date in the custom date property is more than 2 days ago (meaning they were not a member of the previous import). You can then set their subscription status to opted out.

In both cases, you could set up a process where you pretty much can mindlessly import a list every day – and only have to mark contacts as non-marketing contacts on the last day of the month. But even that could be automated following a similar approach as outlined in the previous paragraph, by using an assisting workflow that checks whether a contacts was in the previous import.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Ktamir,

When you say marketing / non-marketing, are you referring to HubSpot's billing feature or are you talking about consent (subscription type opt status)?

In any case, I don't think that – at a second glance – this is a complicated as it seems.

If you're referring to marketing contacts, you would run a daily import. Cases 1 and 3 are automatically covered. If the amount stays the same, the import doesn't change anything, so you could simply mindlessly run it. If the number increases, new contacts are created. In both cases, you simply import and mark all contacts as marketing contacts.

For case number 2, you would only have to check this on the last day of the month. Before that, throughout the month, marking contacts as non-marketing contacts does not have an effect anyway. You can do it but it will only take effect the next month anyway. If you use a good import naming convention, you could create a list where Latest source drill-down 2 has every contained any of "Ticket import March", for example, but where Latest source drill-down 2 doesn't contain any of "Ticket import March 31". That way, you would get all contacts imported before the last day of the month and could all mark them as non-marketing contacts.

If you're referring to subscription opt-in, automation could look like this: In a contact-based workflow, you re-enroll contacts where Latest source drill-down 2 contains any of "Ticket import" and where the subscription status is currently not opted. The workflow would then set the subscription status of the subscription type to opted-in. It would also store the current date in a custom property. In a second workflow, you could enroll all contacts who are currently opted into the subscription type and where the date in the custom date property is more than 2 days ago (meaning they were not a member of the previous import). You can then set their subscription status to opted out.

In both cases, you could set up a process where you pretty much can mindlessly import a list every day – and only have to mark contacts as non-marketing contacts on the last day of the month. But even that could be automated following a similar approach as outlined in the previous paragraph, by using an assisting workflow that checks whether a contacts was in the previous import.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Ktamir

SOLVE
Thank you for this elaborated answer.
I will definitely give it a try tomorrow and keep you posted.

The important thing for us is the opt in/ opt out status and less the
marketing contact status.
0 Upvotes
Ktamir

SOLVE

So, I manged to set up the workflows but...

We can't use the name if the imrpot as latest souce. We need to use the internal value...This varies with everu import off course. HubSpot support is trying to figure htis out.

I will keep you posted...

Ktamir

SOLVE

So....I'm afraid we need to use internal value...This means I will need to manually update the trigger after each and every single import...

Any workaround that you can think of?

0 Upvotes
christopher-RVO
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner
Key Advisor | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

@Ktamir  where are the users purchasing tickets? 

Unfortunately, if there isn't a way to connect the data then I don't see a way to automate this. 

Christopher Barnett - VP of Revenue at Aptitude 8

Ktamir

SOLVE
They are purchasing tickets through an external platform. The platform
itself is connected so we see these purchases but this specific property we
can’t get via the API.

0 Upvotes