Productivity Tools

LizzieNorman

Automation when a task is completed

SOLVE

Hi there!

I am currently creating a workflow and wonder if anyone can tell me if its possible to automate an action when a task in the workflow is marked as completed?

2 Accepted solutions
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LizzieNorman,

Currently, only task creation is available as a workflow action. The status of a task, however, cannot be used for enrollment, branching out, delaying etc.

The workaround I would suggest here is to not look at the status of the task but at the expected result of the task. Is that result documented in a property? For example, if the task is for a sales person to fill in values of certain properties (phone number, address etc.), you can design your workflow around the fact that the value of a property is now 'known'. If they're supposed to reach out to a contact, the 'Last contacted' or 'Next activity date' property will either be empty or known – and so on.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

DPassman
Solution
Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Lizzie,

Noticed your question while browsing the community. You can create a workflow with an enrollment trigger of Task Status = Completed. When creating the workflow, click Set enrollment triggers, and choose "Activity Properties" as your Filter Type.

You only have to consider if you want the same thing to happen after ANY task is marked as completed. You would probably need more logic in your enrollment trigger, such as "Task Title Contains," in order to not trigger the workflow for every task.

David Passman

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
DPassman
Solution

SOLVE

Lizzie,

Noticed your question while browsing the community. You can create a workflow with an enrollment trigger of Task Status = Completed. When creating the workflow, click Set enrollment triggers, and choose "Activity Properties" as your Filter Type.

You only have to consider if you want the same thing to happen after ANY task is marked as completed. You would probably need more logic in your enrollment trigger, such as "Task Title Contains," in order to not trigger the workflow for every task.

David Passman
SarahHerbage

SOLVE

Hello- Im trying to follow your instructions but cant see the option to trigger the next task after the first task is complete- am i missing something?

0 Upvotes
Zayne
Contributor

SOLVE

There doesn't seem to be any enrollment trigger for tasks. I don't know why this has been marked as an accepted solution?

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @Zayne,

This is an older thread, there have been updates since.

If a task is created by a workflow (as described in the original post), you can check whether it was completed by setting up a workflow as shown below:

karstenkoehler_0-1676020104064.png

If a task was not created in a workflow then this is not possible, at least not if it should be set up to run more than once per contact. Activity filters don't allow for re-enrollment.

Best regards

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

Zayne
Contributor

SOLVE

Aha! Thanks Karsten. Very helpful.

GReverdito

SOLVE

Hello David, as much as your solution would have solved my issue, unfortunately I cannot find "Activity Properties" in any way among the workflow's triggers.

Giacomo Reverdito

0 Upvotes
KThomas8
Participant

SOLVE

Hi,

That's a great help. However, do you know how I could then send an email notification to someone with information about the Task or Deal it's associated with? When I go to add new steps I can only access the Contact record properties..

Thanks!

Kirsten

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @LizzieNorman,

Currently, only task creation is available as a workflow action. The status of a task, however, cannot be used for enrollment, branching out, delaying etc.

The workaround I would suggest here is to not look at the status of the task but at the expected result of the task. Is that result documented in a property? For example, if the task is for a sales person to fill in values of certain properties (phone number, address etc.), you can design your workflow around the fact that the value of a property is now 'known'. If they're supposed to reach out to a contact, the 'Last contacted' or 'Next activity date' property will either be empty or known – and so on.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

jditmer0
Contributor

SOLVE

This information is innacurrate. It is possible; see other solutions

0 Upvotes