Dashboards & Reporting

MrBean
Top Contributor

Revenue Shares in Hubspot

SOLVE

Hey! Has anyone crafted a creative way to track/report on revenue while using a  revshare pricing model for your clients?

My company doesn't deal in fixed rates/fees, so our revenue flucuates greatly on a monthly basis.  (and tends to actually land far off what we expected when the deal was booked).  What's the best way to track report on billed revenue, when your business model doesn't have set prices?  

3 Accepted solutions
Jnix284
Solution
Most Valuable Member | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi @MrBean , first, thank you for making me smile, love the name! 🙂

While I haven't run into this, I have a few ideas to get the conversation started - I'm sure @danmoyle or @jolle will have a few suggestions, too!

I would try creating custom deal properties for "expected amount" that you can populate at the time of deal creation and then use the default "amount" property to regularly update based on what you know to be true at the time as the deal progresses. 

You could even set up "minimum amount" and "maximum amount" so that you can create a calculated property for "average amount" or any other metric you might want to use in reports.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

View solution in original post

danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

Thanks for the tag @Jnix284. Custom Deal properties is my thought, too. 😊

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/

jolle
Solution
Recognized Expert | Partner

SOLVE

Thanks, @Jnix284! Echoing you and @danmoyle, I agree that custom deal properties are the way to go here. I strongly recommend using calculated properties to try and cover the range and set the best monthly revenue expectations.

Just keep in mind that the deal "Amount" property is the default property that HubSpot uses in revenue reporting, so you'd need to create your own custom reports that pull in your custom deal revenue properties. 

This may end up getting super complicated, but I'm wondering you'd be able to take it a step further and set up calculated properties respective to your affiliate's compensation models (i.e., creating an "Upsell" or "Upsell amount" property that could be factored into the calculation). You may be able to get to a point where you fill out a bunch of custom properties on the deal record that produce a more accurate estimate of your revenue given the affiliate and purchase details.

Hope this helps!!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature

3 Replies 3
Jnix284
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @MrBean , first, thank you for making me smile, love the name! 🙂

While I haven't run into this, I have a few ideas to get the conversation started - I'm sure @danmoyle or @jolle will have a few suggestions, too!

I would try creating custom deal properties for "expected amount" that you can populate at the time of deal creation and then use the default "amount" property to regularly update based on what you know to be true at the time as the deal progresses. 

You could even set up "minimum amount" and "maximum amount" so that you can create a calculated property for "average amount" or any other metric you might want to use in reports.

If my reply answered your question please mark it as a solution to make it easier for others to find.

Jennifer Nixon - Delivery Lead at Aptitude 8

connect with Jen on Linkedin

jolle
Solution

SOLVE

Thanks, @Jnix284! Echoing you and @danmoyle, I agree that custom deal properties are the way to go here. I strongly recommend using calculated properties to try and cover the range and set the best monthly revenue expectations.

Just keep in mind that the deal "Amount" property is the default property that HubSpot uses in revenue reporting, so you'd need to create your own custom reports that pull in your custom deal revenue properties. 

This may end up getting super complicated, but I'm wondering you'd be able to take it a step further and set up calculated properties respective to your affiliate's compensation models (i.e., creating an "Upsell" or "Upsell amount" property that could be factored into the calculation). You may be able to get to a point where you fill out a bunch of custom properties on the deal record that produce a more accurate estimate of your revenue given the affiliate and purchase details.

Hope this helps!!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature
danmoyle
Solution

SOLVE

Thanks for the tag @Jnix284. Custom Deal properties is my thought, too. 😊

Did my answer help? Please "mark as a solution" to help others find answers. Plus I really appreciate it!

Dan Moyle

HubSpot Advisor

LearningOps | Impulse Creative

emailAddress
dan@impulsecreative.com
website
https://impulsecreative.com/