Commerce Tools

EJohnston
Participant

Provisioning user upon payment success?

SOLVE

We want to switch from using Stripe directly to using Hubspot Payments as part of our user signup flow, and I'm stuck on how to get confirmation of payment success to our backend.

If successful payments appear like normal transactions in Stripe's system, we can just have Stripe notify our backend directly via webhook. This would be preferable, but test payments don't appear to generate any activity in Stripe, and we can't build critical infrastructure around an untestable system!

The next best case would be for Hubspot to support sending notification of payment via webhook. Does that feature exist? I can't find documentation for it, but it seems like an obvious feature to have on the roadmap somewhere.

If not, then maybe we can set up a workflow that will do the trick? Any suggestions on where to get started? I don't see any workflow triggers that obviously correspond to payment success, but I'm also not very familiar with Hubspot (yet!).

Any suggestions are appreciated. If it's going to be easier to handle payments directly with Stripe and only pass the CRM-relevant data to Hubspot upon new user provisioning, we're open to that option. 🙂

1 Accepted solution
JackCoopersmith
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

@EJohnston no estimated timeline for a standard webhook for payments right now, though if that becomes a priority for us I can circle back here. Maybe it would be possible to somehow build in logic that does something like "when there is property value x in HubSpot, do y in the other system" using our APIs?

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hi @EJohnston I hope you've been well! I wanted to follow up here around your API exploration that you mentioned.... how'd that go? Is there anything I can do to help?

JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Sure thing @kvlschaefer, thanks for the tag here and I hope you're doing well @EJohnston !

As mentioned above, you can indeed trigger webhooks with workflows within HubSpot. HubSpot Payments is bringing commerce data into the CRM by essentially simply creating objects within our system. The object that represents a given transaction is the payment object, and with an object comes workflows. Long way of saying that you can indeed create payment-based workflows (enrollment trigger would simply be "payment status is succeeded" and then trigger that webhook to do whatever you'd like

This is currently being rolled out to everyone, so if you go the HubSpot Payments route and don't see this as an option, feel free to reach out to me directly with your Hub ID and we'll make sure you're all set

Keep the HubSpot Payments questions coming, happy to help however I can!

SLester
Contributor

SOLVE

HI Jack,

Maybe the solution you outline above is simple and I'm missing it. How do I trigger a workflow based on successful payment? I looked at all the conditions under contact, company, susbcription, and payment and cannot find a straight forward way to add that trigger. So i need to use a payment form is the only way to do this?

Also, Can I white label the payment link to my own domain? It doesnt look trust worthy when my clients go to pay a heft amount and the URL says Hubspot instead of my company domain.

JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hi @SLester I hope you had a nice weekend! So to fire a workflow based off of a successful payment, you can create a payment-based workflow with a "status" of "succeeded." Check out the different payment and subcsription properties you can access right here.

In order to use these commerce objects (and therefore the workflows that comes with them) you will indeed want to use HubSpot payments for now.

When it comes to whitelabeling your domain, you can indeed host invoices (a new feature we're rolling out that we'd happily ungate you for) and quotes on your own domain. It sounds like you want to host the checkout page itself on your domain though, is that correct? Assuming so, I'll be sure to pass along this feedback as this isn't something we have right now, though of course the more we hear about something, the more likely we are to build it

SLester
Contributor

SOLVE

Thank you for that and I would love to be part of your whitelabelling effort. 

Lastly, I wanted to limit the trigger to a specifc payment link where I see the internal ID in the URL as 8926831. Is this then the proper setup for this workflow trigger?

SLester_0-1685983886617.png

Sahar

0 Upvotes
JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Another great question! I'd recommend using the "payment source name" on the payment object specifically which will stamp with the name of the payment link (more info here)

SLester
Contributor

SOLVE

Jack,

I can see the payment ID as mentioned above but how can I see the payment internal name? is it the same as that ID number I shared? 

Appeciate your help,

Sahar

0 Upvotes
JackCoopersmith
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

The payment source name is a property that you'll see just like that payment ID 🙂

EJohnston
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks, that sounds like a workable solution for companies with the Operations Professional plan. Unfortunately, it looks like triggering a custom webhook from a workflow is not available with my company's current subscriptions, and I don't think we can justify $725/mo to upgrade at this stage.

Do you have any other suggestions? Or an estimated timeline for a standard webhook for payments?

Thanks again for your help!

0 Upvotes
JackCoopersmith
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

@EJohnston no estimated timeline for a standard webhook for payments right now, though if that becomes a priority for us I can circle back here. Maybe it would be possible to somehow build in logic that does something like "when there is property value x in HubSpot, do y in the other system" using our APIs?

EJohnston
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for letting me know! I'll dig into the API and see if I can figure something out.

0 Upvotes
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @EJohnston,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community! We're happy to hear that you're considering the Payments Tool 🙂 

You can indeed trigger a webhook using workflow within HubSpot!

Hi @JackCoopersmith, do you want to elaborate on how @EJohnston could trigger a webhook to notify their backend of a successful payment? 

Thanks!

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !