Unchecked "Track Email" box - still getting notifications

ryan_anderson4
Participant

When I uncheck the "Track Email" box inside of the email I'm trying to send, it is still getting tracked. I don't need tracking for internal emails and its eating up my 200 notifications. I did figure out that I can uncheck "Track Emails" in the main window of Outlook and it prevents the tracking, but that makes the default then to not have tracking. I'd rather have it track by default and just uncheck in the emails I don't want it. Is this a glitch?

7 Replies 7
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hi @ryan_anderson4

You are correct that the way you can control the default options is by checking or unchecking the 'track emails' option from your Outlook navigation. 

The tracking can be determined on the individual email level by checking and unchecking the box within the email draft. The box will hold with the preferences of whatever settings the previously sent email had. For example, if you click track for one email and then send another email, the track option will be checked off. If you uncheck the box for that email before sending, the next email you send will not be checked off. 

If you are experiencing issues with emails that you are not tracking being tracked, can you please send along screenshots of an email that you are sending without the tracking (showing the tracking box is not selected) along with the notifications that are associated with the tracking for that email.

Additional information: 

1. Is this happening for specific users? 

2. Is this happening for all emails, or sporadically? 

Thank you, 

Jenny

We are excited to announce that the Community will be launching a weekly newsletter on November 2, 2020!
ryan_anderson4
Participant

Hi @jennysowyrda, Thanks for the reply.

Here is a example of an email I sent. It has all the boxes unchecked on both the Outlook main window and the email window, yet I still got notifications that the email was opened. I think this is happening for all users but the only emails I generally send without tracking are internal; all my external emails I typically do check the boxes for tracking. And I do believe it happens consistently every time I send an email. Thanks for the help!hubspot1.JPGhubspotnotification.JPG

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hi @ryan_anderson4

Thank you for sending those screenshots along! Do you mind getting the original email header from the example email you sent (or a new one-if you can send screenshots of that as well). You can follow these instructions to get email headers.

Thank you, 
Jenny

We are excited to announce that the Community will be launching a weekly newsletter on November 2, 2020!
0 Upvotes
ryan_anderson4
Participant

@jennysowyrda I clicked the link for the instructions you provided to get the header and I didn't see any instructions on that page. But I did google it and found out how to do it, but the header box is blank. Here is the picture. Am I looking in the right place?

hubspotheader.JPG

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hi @ryan_anderson4 if the headers are showing as blank there, then your IT team should be able to retrieve them for you. 

Please let me know if you are able to successfully get the headers (you can send them to me through a private message). 

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
CharleneR
Participant

This is also happening to the employees in our office as well. They would check to track open notifications to someone else within our office on one very important email, but after that would uncheck the Track box on subsequent emails but then would still receive open notifications. It's been eating up his 200 monthly allotment and he's already maxed out 13 days in to the month, which is very frustrating to our employees. 

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager

Hey @CharleneR

I've outlined some steps above to take if this is happening as well as what types of screenshots are helpful for us to troubleshoot this for you. If you can send those along, I am happy to take a look. 

Thanks,
Jenny

0 Upvotes