Stop Contacts being added automatically from Outlook email

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hello all.  I've split this discussion off from Stop contacts being added automatically after sending Gmail email. because it is about Outlook not Gmail.

There are really two parts to the discussion

1. Automatically creating the contact:   Provide some choice about whether to create a Contact, for example, we don't want Contacts created from emails sent to suppliers etc.

2. and then once a contact is created... Fine tuning the Logging and tracking of emails for Contacts that are in HubSpot... especially when CC and BCC used.  

This thread is just about the first part, automatically creating new contacts

DEAR HUBSPOT, by creating a Contact from my outgoing emails, especially the ones I don't want, is the system making me breach privacy and GDPR as I don't have their opted in permission to track their emails or personal info,like their email address.  Creating a Contact from an email has to be a positive action.

Here is a suggested fix

When we send an email in Outlook, please can HubSpot check all email addresses and for any that it doesn't recognise (could be more than 1), we get a pop up that says "Hi, we don't recognise some of these emails. Would you like us to add this person (or "these people" if more than 1) as a Contact in Hubspot, or would you prefer us to ignore this email address forever?"  and then have two check boxes to the right of each email address:  Add or Ignore  and then two buttons Save and Cancel.

If I click Save

...for every Ignore, Hubspot remembers the email address but does not create a Contact.  Maybe in the Hubspot Outlook Sales plugin settings, we need another box like Never log but instead called Not Contacts.

...foe every Add, HubSpot creates a Contact.  This may require a popup for each contact so we can fill in the details.  Now here is where it gets a bit tricky....How best to deal with GDPR and Privacy for new Contacts created via email.

Maybe in the plugin, there should be an option to "Automatically send link to form asking for New Contact to opt in to Data Privacy, Consent to process data and Subscriptions"  If the option is turned on, the System should then  automatically send them a link to a from they can fill in. 

9 Replies 9
Community Superstar

- see Prevent specific emails and domains from logging in the CRM (released 20-Aug-2018)

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

MFrankJohnson-dot-com-HubSpot-Community-banner-gif-v20190817

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

No that solution does not help with the challenge we are facing. 

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hi MFJLabs, unfortunately this doesn't fix the problem.  

This simply stops emails from being logged to a Contact in HubSpot.  This discussion is all about a step before that.  How to prevent a Contact being added toHubspot in the first place

Every time I'm in Outlook and send an email to a supplier, the HubSpot Sales box on the right keeps asking me to "Add to CRM"  What we need is

-  a second button that says "Never add to CRM"

- and even a third that says "Never add emails to this Domain"Hubspot Ignore.JPG

0 Upvotes
Community Superstar

>>"This simply stops emails from being logged to a Contact in HubSpot.  This discussion is all about a step before that.  How to prevent a Contact being added toHubspot in the first place."

Oh, you mean this part ...hubspot-email-block-domains.pngSame Article!

Tried to help. Hope you solve it.

#nlmtt #nlmtu

Hope that helps.

Best,
Frank

MFrankJohnson-dot-com-HubSpot-Community-banner-gif-v20190817

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hi MFJ Labs, thanks for pointing that out. Unfortunately it doesn't fix the problem.

This is an opt-out approach.  As per the first note in this thread, ".... is the system making me breach privacy and GDPR......Creating a Contact from an email has to be a positive action.", i.e opt-in.

For example, I have just sent an email to a person who I do not want in HubSpot. Their email is not in the Never Log and I did not click "Add to CRM"  before sending the email.

The trouble is that Hubspot has automatically created a Contact with this email address and attached the email.  I now have their personal information in Hubspot. I did not want this to happen, and because of Privacy and GDPR,   I now have to go into contacts and delete them.

Not very user friendly and is it in contravention of GDPR etc? 

The good news is that the Never Log (Ignore?) functionality is there.  HubSpot just need to make Creating a contact from email and opt-in rather than opt-out. 

New Contributor

dont know about about the GDPR bit, but this is becoming a problem for me.  Hubspot is sucking in everything - my wife my mother the place we are having my kids birthday.

i am a small busines and do everthing on one computer through outlook.  i like hubspot, and have just taken on a new person.  i want them to be able to see all my hubspot, not jsut what they "own". we are not that segmented, they need to see work i am doing in parallel to theirs.  i dont need them to see what i have bought from amazon.

how do i stop hubspot sucking in my entire life?

Top Contributor

This article might help?

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

nope.

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

We would like the ability to tell HubSpot not to create users at all, period. If they are a user, log the email. If not, don't do anything.

Our issue has been that more than one user is emailing the same contact. Even if they were 'unassigned' in HubSpot, they become assigned once the email is sent. What happens to the contact, then, for the other user?