Outlook Sales Extension

TLivesey
Mitglied

How does track an email come up

lösung

I've managed to install the Outlook web plug-in and all seems good but I actually want to track an email to a contact. It allows me to go to that contact in hubspot but not track the email. What have I done wrong, it's been driving me nuts for the last 2 hours trying to find a solution 😭

BTW I've only just joined the platform so it's pribably something I havn't done, so don't laugh to hard.

Screenshot 2021-10-08 at 15.50.29.png

0 Upvotes
1 Akzeptierte Lösung
AdamLPW
Lösung
Autorität

lösung

I'm struggling to understand your issue, here.  In your initial post, you said:

"I've managed to install the Outlook web plug-in and all seems good but I actually want to track an email to a contact. It allows me to go to that contact in hubspot but not track the email."

This gave the impression there was something wrong with your email integration.  From your latest, it appears that you're creating contacts in Outlook, but expecting historic contact to be logged to the CRM?

So here's the thing: when you create a contact in HubSpot from Outlook, providing your email integration is set up correctly any FUTURE correspondence between you and the contact will be logged to the CRM.  HubSpot doesn't go through past emails or website activity and log this.  You will have a blank contact with something like "contact created from offline sources" displayed on the activity feed.  This is the expected behaviour.  

I'm still struggling to see exactly what your issue is, but it sounds like one of the following:

1. Having created a contact in Outlook, the email which you used to create the contact isn't logged  

As above, this is because only FUTURE correspondence will be logged in the CRM.  Providing all future correspondence is logged correctly, all you'll need to do is forward the single email to HubSpot.

2. No correspondence is logged in HubSpot for contacts created via Outlook

This is a very different issue and would indicate something is wrong with your email integration.  I'd suggest removing the integration and setting it up from scratch.  

For future reference: detailing exactly what your issue is in your first post will get to an answer quicker.  I know there's a lot of terminology to learn, but if you'd said something like "I created a contact using the Outlook integration but the email isn't logged in HubSpot, I'd have given you an answer in one post, rather than three! 😁

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"

Lösung in ursprünglichem Beitrag anzeigen

5 Antworten
TLivesey
Mitglied

lösung

The integration is correct as I have seen it before where the contact was already in hubspot. The only difference this time was that I created the contact in hubspot by clicking 'add to hubspot' from the outlook plugin and now it just stays on that screen and doesn't allow me any of the functionality it does if a client is already in it. Which makes me think I have just not ticked something on the client record or created it wrong.

0 Upvotes
AdamLPW
Lösung
Autorität

lösung

I'm struggling to understand your issue, here.  In your initial post, you said:

"I've managed to install the Outlook web plug-in and all seems good but I actually want to track an email to a contact. It allows me to go to that contact in hubspot but not track the email."

This gave the impression there was something wrong with your email integration.  From your latest, it appears that you're creating contacts in Outlook, but expecting historic contact to be logged to the CRM?

So here's the thing: when you create a contact in HubSpot from Outlook, providing your email integration is set up correctly any FUTURE correspondence between you and the contact will be logged to the CRM.  HubSpot doesn't go through past emails or website activity and log this.  You will have a blank contact with something like "contact created from offline sources" displayed on the activity feed.  This is the expected behaviour.  

I'm still struggling to see exactly what your issue is, but it sounds like one of the following:

1. Having created a contact in Outlook, the email which you used to create the contact isn't logged  

As above, this is because only FUTURE correspondence will be logged in the CRM.  Providing all future correspondence is logged correctly, all you'll need to do is forward the single email to HubSpot.

2. No correspondence is logged in HubSpot for contacts created via Outlook

This is a very different issue and would indicate something is wrong with your email integration.  I'd suggest removing the integration and setting it up from scratch.  

For future reference: detailing exactly what your issue is in your first post will get to an answer quicker.  I know there's a lot of terminology to learn, but if you'd said something like "I created a contact using the Outlook integration but the email isn't logged in HubSpot, I'd have given you an answer in one post, rather than three! 😁

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
"The rest of my advice has no basis more reliable than my own meandering experience. I will dispense this experience... now!"
TLivesey
Mitglied

lösung

hi Adam, my bad on terminology I think ... It's not the tracking as in opening of emails (which would only be on sent items) but the logging (I think thats what hubspot calls it - sorry my last crm called it tracking). When the email comes in I want to be able to attach it to a client/company/ticket etc so I can see it in the hubsport CRM.

0 Upvotes
AdamLPW
Autorität

lösung

Hi @TLivesey, no worries, easily done!  

In HubSpot, providing the integration is correctly configured, everything should just appear on your contact's timeline... odd!

I'd recommend following the instructions here to link your email address with HubSpot.  This should mean your emails show both in Outlook and HubSpot whether you've sent them from Outlook (desktop), Office365, or HubSpot.  

Let me know how you get on.  

0 Upvotes
AdamLPW
Autorität

lösung

Hi @TLivesey

Apologies if I'm telling you what you already know, I don't mean to be in any way condescending, just trying to establish your expectations and the nature of your issue!  Email tracking isn't "live" tracking, like tracking an Amazon delivery, it's a notification when the email is opened, etc.  

HubSpot tracking (and most other email tracking) utilises tracking pixels to notify you when an email is opened.  See - https://knowledge.hubspot.com/connected-email/understand-hubspot-sales-email-open-and-click-tracking

When your contact opens your email, you'll see a notification on their activity feed like this:

AdamLPW_0-1633707707017.png

If you're confident that you have outlook integration set up as above, emails are showing on the contact's activity feed, you know for a fact that they have opened them but you AREN'T seeing these notifications, let me know and I'll direct you accordingly.  

🙂

0 Upvotes