Outlook Sales Extension

montag

Forward email not working

SOLVE

Our email is set up with Outlook and everything works well as far as sending and tracking opens / clicks.

But when it comes to logging in received emails, neither BCC nor Forwarding is being logged.

I know that the emails are being sent but Hubspot is not logging them in, at all.

This worked 2 weeks ago, but know it doesn't. 

Can someone from Hubspot jump in here and please help me out and see what is going on.

EDIT: 

On top of it, the Outlook integration seems to deactivate within the settings page as well. So I have to hit the integration button over and over to keep it integrated, but emails are still sending out.

This is clearly a bug and I'd love to have someone address this issue.

Thanks

Thanks

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
roisinkirby
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hey @montag thanks for the question.

First things first, can you confirm which version of Outlook you are using and exactly how you are forewarding emails to the CRM. Only Outlook365 users are able to have these emails automatically forwarded, as per these instructions

As an Outlook user, if you are manually forwarding emails to the CRM, you need to make sure of the following otherwise the process will not work: 

1. The email address that you forward the email from must match the email address of your user in the CRM.
  2. The recipient does not have the same company email domain as you. The Log in CRM feature will not log an email for any emails that are sent to a contact with the same company email domain as you.
  3. The Forwarded message text block must be present at the top of the email and in English.
  4. Our system looks at the block of text that is automatically added by your email client when you select the forward button, which usually looks something like this:

Screen Shot 2017-03-05 at 5.11.00 PM.png

Could you please review the above in detail and let me know once you have followed these troubleshooting tips?

View solution in original post

34 Replies 34
REmmenegger
Participant

SOLVE

Dear all, 

Some e-mail programs, such as GroupWise, don't include the forward block (with e-mail adresses of the previously received e-mail) when you forward the e-mail. As a consequence the forwarded e-mail doesn't end up in Hubspot.

A work around to solve this problem is to manually add the following line on top of the to be forwarded e-mail: "FROM:<e-mail>". If you do that the forwarded e-mail gets attached in Hubspot as it is supposed to.

Kind regards, 

Peter

0 Upvotes
REmmenegger
Participant

SOLVE

I have the same issue: Forwarded e-mails are not logged in hubspot. 

How can this bis solved? Please advise asap. 

Kind regards, 

Reto

andypoulsen

SOLVE

I'm also unable to log my received emails. 

When I used a different CRM system, I could "redirect" my incoming messages to the crm email address (i.e. like my xxx@bcc.hubspot.com address), and it would get logged to the contact(s) in the from and cc fields. This doesn't work with Hubspot, and nor does forwarding the message to that address.

One of the things I really liked about being able to redirect the messages was that it was nice and clean, and the message showed up in that CRM system just like it did in my inbox (no additional headers or anything like that).

Is there a way to have this work in Hubspot? As it is now, I am unable to log/track any of my received messages, so I have an incomplete picture of what's happening.

Any thoughts/ideas/etc will be much appreciated.  

Thanks!

jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @andypoulsen

Are you encountering a specific issue with the forwarding email address? The forwarding address will allow your replies to be logged in the crm, so if you are encountering a specific issue with it, and can send along screenshots and links to contact records, that would be great. 

Thanks, 

Jenny

andypoulsen

SOLVE

Hi Jenny,

Yes, the forwarding address works fine for emails I send (I bcc that address on all my outgoing messages). The problem is that I can't log any of my received emails. I have tried forwarding them to the forward address, and also redirecting them, and neither approach adds the email to the contact's record.

I've tried forwarding both as a bcc and as a regular forward, and neither one works. Similarly for the redirect as a resend-bcc and a resend-to.   None of those options result in the message ending up in my hubspot record for that contact.

When I forward a message, the message header looks like this (though the text is in a 4-row x 2-column HTML table):

-------- Forwarded Message --------

Subject: My Subject

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 21:13:58 +0000

To: Andy Poulsen <andy@mycompany.com>

When I do a redirect (using a Thunderbird extension that essentially re-sends a message to a new recipient, keeping the timestamps and everything else as in the original message), there are several resent-* headers in message source similar to this:

Resent-From: Andy Poulsen <andy@mycompany.com>
Resent-To: undisclosed-recipients: ;
Resent-Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2018 15:12:03 -0700
Resent-Message-ID: <473b6e1d-77cb-596d-88d9-71155e0beb70@mycompany.com>
Resent-User-Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101 Thunderbird/52.5.2

The body of the resent (or redirected) message looks just like it did when originally received, which is what I would like to have happen when I view it in HubSpot. 

However, as things are now, none of those messages ever get to HubSpot in any form, so they don't show up at all.

What else can I do?

jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @andypoulsen

Can you try taking a response and manually forwarding it to the forwarding address? The header will need to be formatted as the example is formatted in this article

I would be curious what this results in, and whether the forwarded header shows only one recipient. 

Thank you,
Jenny 

daniel4

SOLVE

Hi, I am having the same issue. I have forwarded a couple of emails this morning, but there is one email that it isnt working for. I can't seem to identify with is unique about the contact the forwarding isnt working for.

---

I have just sent an email to the same contact with the bcc field filled, however there was no success. 

I know that we have been able to previously, as a bcc email field was used to log the email at the end of december.

0 Upvotes
andypoulsen

SOLVE

Hi Daniel,

I'm glad you've been able to get it to work for at least some of your contacts. I can't get the forwarding of received messages to work at all for me...  I'm hoping there's a solution for this, as not having that ability makes Hubspot almost useless for me...

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @andypoulsen

Thanks for the info. Can you provide the following so I can dig into your specific portal: 

1. The email address you are sending from 

2. Is your email address a connected inbox within HubSpot

3. An example email (with real header information as it was sent) you are forwarding to HubSpot

4. The link to the corresponding contact record 

You can send the information through this thread or through a direct message. 

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
NHindi

SOLVE

Hi Jenny,

I encountered this issue as well, though fours years passed.

I followed the instructions here on the requirements for forwarding but still, it doesn't log the email on Gmail. While the BCC works perfectly every time I try to forward an email nothing really happens. Any idea what to do? 

Thanks

0 Upvotes
andypoulsen

SOLVE

Hi Jenny,

I sent you a private message yesterday with the requested info. Please let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks!

0 Upvotes
dnewberry
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Andy,

Trying to figure this out myself. Pretty surprised that this isn't a more common issue raised. Did you ever find out a way to work around this? 

Dave

0 Upvotes
andypoulsen

SOLVE

I connected my email account, which kind of worked -- it got ALL of my messages, which I did NOT want. 

I never got the forwarding to work, and have been rather disappointed that the devel team seems not to care at all about this issue. 

Batchbook did this forward integration perfectly! Unfortunately there were other things I didn't like about them, so I dumped them.

It is discouraging that Hubspot doesn't seem to care about this issue -- I exchanged a couple of emails with them trying to get them to fix it, and offered to test a bunch of things, but this issue isn't a high enough priority for them to fix (seems like it should be relatively trivial to just have several sets of headers to match against, but I guess that's not how they do it...)

Frustrating, to be sure!

jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @andypoulsen,

Did you connect your inbox to the conversations tool? If so, that tool is used to pull in all of your emails. If you are looking to send emails through the CRM, you can connect your inbox as a personal inbox, which will not pull in your emails.

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
donaldmcnair

SOLVE

Hello,

I'm also having issues forwarding an email into Hubspot. The contact already exists, and emails have been successfully bcc'ed into Hubspot. Also, the forwarding function has worked for other emails. I have tried from two different email accounts, both of which are connected to Hubspot. Any help is very welcome :).

-Donald

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

HI @donaldmcnair,

If you can send along screenshots and specific examples, that would be great!

Thank you,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
donaldmcnair

SOLVE

Hi Jenny,

My apologies on my confusion, but I'm not sure how a screenshot will help. I would take a screenshot of the email bar showing the forwarded address, and then a screenshot of the hubspot page, with no email there. I think I'm missing something haha. What exactly would you like a screenshot of? 

Kind regards,

-Donald

0 Upvotes
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @donaldmcnair,

No worries! Happy to clarify! Because each email send and scenario is very unique and different, the best way to troubleshoot issues is to see the specific scenario in which the issue is occurring. 

For this issue, seeing screenshots of the sent forwarded email (including the forwarding address that was used), as well as a screenshot of the contact record where the email should be showing would be great. 🙂 

Please feel free to direct message me any content with email addresses as well. 

Let me know if you have any other questions as well! 

Thanks,
Jenny

0 Upvotes
pbjorklund
Participant

SOLVE

I have the exact same problem.

Outlook 2016 does not include the "Fowarded" part, just a line and VB instead of FW in the subject (Swedish lang).

0 Upvotes
andypoulsen

SOLVE

Hi Jenny,

Thanks for the reply.  I forwarded a response to the forwarding address, and manually tweaked the forward header to be just like the one in the article. Still no success.

You said "whether the forwarded header shows only one recipient." It's the person in the "From" line that I'm most concerned about, though everyone in the list (To:, CC:) should have the email added to their record, correct?

However, all of the above doesn't really matter until we can get Hubspot to actually process my forwarded or redirected emails correctly...

0 Upvotes