Fixing Outlook Crashing with HubSpot Sales

SOLVE
Highlighted
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team
  1. Paste the following filepath into your Start menu: C:\Users\%Userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Sidekick\
  2. Remove all files in the folder that opens up
  3. Uninstall Sidekick (if you see two versions of the HubSpot Email add-in in your programs folder, please delete them both): http://sales.hubspot.com/knowledge/sidekick-getting-started/article/how-do-i-uninstall-sidekick
  4. Reinstall the HubSpot add-in with this link: https://app.getsidekick.com/outlook/download
1 Accepted solution

Accepted Solutions
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Commenting to mark as answered.

0 Upvotes
24 Replies 24
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Commenting to mark as answered.

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

I am not a windows expert: where and how do I copy the line C:\Users\%Userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Sidekick\

thank you for helping

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

@musika I've made a screencast of the process, to help clarify this step: http://www.screencast.com/t/cRP24l0y0bQ. Hope it helps!

New Contributor

@moonwebstrategy Thx, I finally found something using the infos of @Tom and translating in french as I am using my computer in this language. I put the thread C:\Utilisateurs\parkra\AppData\Roaming\Sidekick\ and found the following items as you can see in the screen shot here. What do I do next?thread found.PNG

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @musika I'm glad that you were able to find this information, I will keep the language trick in mind if this happens to anyone else.

Next, as per Tom's instructions, you will want to delete all of the files in that folder, and then uninstall and reinstall the extension. He has provided links to the documentation with install/uninstall instructions above. 

Let me know if the issue persists after following these steps.

Best,

May

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

May,

Not sure if you we're meaning to mention me in this.  My company fixed our issue with Hubspot; our IT department had a blast trying to figure out that one and fix it but they got it!  It wasn't an issue listed in this thread, I belive it had to do with our private network (but i'm no expert, so don't quote me on that).  

Thanks for the help!

-Chase

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

So sorry, I meant to @ mention another user - very glad your problem was resolved though! Smiley Happy

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Hello Hubspot Team,

My work has a paid Hubspot account for quite a few of our reps, and what's happening for quite a few of us is Outlook is crashing everytime you try to create a new email.  

At first, I had an older version of Hubspot Sales installed, so I went to the control panel, uninstalled all hubspot / sidekick programs that were on my computer.  Then I re-downloaded Hubspot Sales for Outlook, I have plugin version 3.0.1.101 now.  

When I open Outlook, the program runs fine until you try to create a new email, all of the screens go tranpsarent/white and a notice from Microsoft Outlook appears saying it stopped working (see screen shot).  The screen shot attached shows what happened when I clicked the "About" button on the Hubspot Sales Extensions, then clicked the "send debug logs" & the screen goes to that transparent/white and has then closes outlook, but this is the same thing that happens any time I try to send a new email.  Please Help!  Not being able to see what emails have been read has far reaching effects in my industry!  

I've tried what this thread topic suggested using the C:\Users\%Userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Sidekick\ – but this doesn't lead anywhere (maybe because we're on secured work computers?).  

Here is the screen shot of what's happening once you click "new email" or in this case "send debugs and logs"Sidekick.PNG

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @Chase thank you for posting here. 

In past cases where customers have not been able to find the aforementioned file path, posting it directly into your PC's Control Pannel rather than the search menu has been helpful. You could also try removing parts of the file path until the computer finds something, and then follow the reverse file path in order to get access to the file.

One reason why this search might not be leading anywhere is because the %Userprofile% section of the filepath isn't being properly replaced. You could get around this by replacing %Userprofile% in the aforementioned filepath with your Windows username, exactly as it is formatted in your system (caps and all). 

Another option would be to change your Folder and Search Options to show hidden folders (in the Organize drop down in Windows).

If none of this works, it might indeed be due to the fact that you are on secure work computers - in this case, the best option would be to contact your network administrator for help on accessing these files.

Indeed, this is a relatively common issue with Outlook, and almost every time it has arisen, deleting the files in this folder has resolved the problem. Therefore, we would not be able to continue troubleshooting on this before we are able to find these files.

If you'd like in-person help with finding this, you could also call into our Support line, since you mentioned that you have paid users on your account - given the context for your issue, the support representative that you reach should have no problem with getting on a screeshare and looking at this with you.

Thank you, and let me know if you have any questions on the above,

May

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Hi Tom,

When I click on the "Track Email" button in my Outlook 2010 (upper right hand corner) it completely shuts down my Outlook. I have tried multiple suggested fixed. I have uninstalled, and reinstalled and even temprorart upgreaded Outlook to newest version and no luck. Any suggestions?

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

EDIT: I just repeated the steps above for the third time. Now it seems to be working ok.

Hi - I recently started having issues with Hubspot for Outlook and Windows. So, I uninstalled and reinstalled. After that, it started doing the problem that is addressed here: Outlook would shut down every time I clicked the Track Email button. When I clicked About or Configure, nothing would happen.

So I went through the steps you describe and now I'm not able to click the Track Email button at all. Nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Also, I've tried reinstalling Hubspot/Sidekick for Windows and the Icon isn't appearing in the icon tray.

For what its worth, I've been having trouble with another extension (Boomerang) that also relies on Internet Explorer. I'm wondering if that is part of the issue...

Community Manager

HI @ryan_anderson4 the best way to see if the Boomerang extension that you are using may be interfearing with HubSpot would be to disable that extension, and then see if HubSpot Sales is functioning properly. It is entirely possible that other extenstions interfear with our plugin, so I would definitely recommend doing a test like this. Let us know if you can find anything! 

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hi there,

as new Hubspot user and customer I was very much relying on the outlook integration. Now, it is really a big issue that every time I start Outlook with the Sidekick add-on Outlook will crash after a certain time (mostly then when you don't need it at all). 

Tried all the hints and tips (including several re-installations) given in this track of the community, but nothing worked so far!

Any updates on this available that haven't been communicated so far?

My setup: Windows 10 with Outlook 2013

- another GoTo meeting add-on

Some observations: it especially crashes if the review pane is open, where also the Hubspot window opens with all the info on the contacts and, as already mentioned by others, if you tick the track box.

Help on this would be very much appreciated!

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

I did exacly what was provided here and it did not work. https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/settings/what-can-i-do-if-outlook-is-crashing-wit...

Please help! I love HubSpot, but will never pay for it if this issue isn't resolved. 

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Hello,

I'm unable to reinstall HubSpot Sales for Outlook 2010. I have remove it from Outlook Addins, delete the C:\Users\%Userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Sidekick\ directory and started the setup.exe again. After few seconds it is stopping with the following message:

Value does not fall within the expected range

Name: HubSpot Sales for Outlook
From: https://dl.getsidekick.com/outlook/vsto/Sidekick.vsto

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Value does not fall within the expected range.
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.DownloadAddIn(TimeSpan timeout)
   at Microsoft.VisualStudio.Tools.Applications.Deployment.ClickOnceAddInDeploymentManager.InstallAddIn()

Thx for your help!

Laurent

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Unfortunately, the proposed solution did not work out for me.  The proposed file path is not found on my system. 

Hubspot has crashed on me before, and I've gone through the uninstall/reinstall process a couple of times but now it seems to be constantly crashing. 

Trying to manually add the program through the options panel leads to a pop-up window looking for a "customization update".  This process goes on for a while and then just suddenly drops with no apparent effect. 

Sometimes after going through the process of adding the extension through the outlook options menu several times, hubspot just decides to work all of a sudden.  That's a good day.

The program appeared to be much more stable in the past. 

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

@jennyswoyrda nothing shows up in the start menu. Then the exe files says up to date.

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

@Tom 

Uninstalling side kick and hubspot add in link are not working. My Hubspot keeps crashing and COM ADD is indicated as slowed response.

Please advice

0 Upvotes
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

Hey @MustafaKhan this post is a few years old at this point so I would say the issues may have changed at this stage. My apologies I'm not familiar with the outlook connection anymore but I would advise posting a new post to our community to see if any of our members can help you out Smiley Happy 

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

thank you all for all your help. i tried this several times and it is still not working unfortunately. i have been using hubspot for years and it randomly started making my windows crash upto starting it. 

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @aarahman,

Do you mind sharing what version of windows you are running on? 

The more screenshots, details and information you can provide, the better the Community can assist!

Thank you,
Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hi Jyoti,

Thanks for your response. we are using Windows 7 professional and Microsoft outlook 2013.

0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Hey Jenny, 

i am using windows 10. 

0 Upvotes
Community Manager

Hi @aarahman,

I have reached out to you directly with next steps.

Thank you,
Jenny

Did my post help answer your query? Help the Community by marking it as a solution
0 Upvotes