Email Integration creating Contacts - How do you stop it from creating contacts?

Highlighted
New Contributor

I have the Outlook integration on so I can email contacts through Hubspot.  But now every time I get an email such as a newsletter, article, system alert, etc. from random sources Hubspot is creating a Contact in my Contact List.  

Obviously I can't configure any filters or no logging domains since I don't know all the sources that will email me.  

I need to track all my conversations with the people that exist in my Contact List, I just don't want Hubspot to add NEW contacts.  

Where is the configuration to not create new contacts and only update the existing contacts?

0 Upvotes
4 Replies 4
Regular Advisor

Hey @jfinley 

I don't think you can do this outside of adding the domain to the "Never Log" list, please keep in mind if you add that domain there and they continue to email you those emails will not be logged but they will still be a contact in the system.  If you add domains to that list that aren't yet contacts in your account those contacts will not be created.

Here's an article that might help you out!

New Contributor

Thanks.  Have to say that is a pretty bad design.  If you think of all the junk and non-relevant emails, to have Hubspot create a contact for each of these is a very bad idea.  Someone didn't have their coffee when developing that feature.

0 Upvotes
Regular Advisor

I can see it both ways, for development purposes, it was likely best to have everything logged rather than differentiate to get the extension developed.  I see a few options for you going forward:

• You could uninstall the extension and just email contacts from their record in HubSpot
  • You could spend an hour or two grooming your blacklist for emails to never log, and then go and remove those contacts from your account
  • Or I would suggest creating a new idea or commenting on this idea which has already been submitted (although old)
0 Upvotes
New Contributor

Well, if it's an old idea, then it probably isn't going to be fixed.  I will suffer through having to constantly clean up my contacts and block the logging whenever I can.  It's just short of awesome, but not quite there.  Thank for your time.

0 Upvotes