Mobile Application

Participant

Erroneous Email notifications for self views

SOLVE

Hi! I am new to HS and have realised that HS sends me a notification on all clicks I make to any email I send out. Quite unfomratuately, it registers my email views also under the receipents email address. Therfore, I have multiple notifications on the same email at times. As a result, this is an incorrect / unreliable assemssment tool of anyone's interest in our services + I have very quickly depleted the 200 notifications limit sent on the free account. Does any one face the same problem or have a solution to this? 

Thanks Dimple

1 Accepted solution
BrettLanguirand
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Newbie,

It is rare (almost impossible) for iPhones to maintain the same IP address over an extended period of time.  One reason for this is because anytime you switch between Wifi and 3G/LTE, your phone will have 2 different IP addresses.  Secondly, your iPhone will have different IP addresses in each of the wifi networks it connects to, but to complicate the matter even more, most iPhones use dynamic IP addresses within a wifi network.  This means that even on your own home network, your iPhone will likely have different IP addresses after a certain amount of time.  

The blocked IP workaround works best for computers.  It can help reduce notifications from your iPhone if you add multiple blocked IP addresses, but it isn't a perfect solution.  Unfortunately, there aren't really any better alternatives at this time.  I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but I hope it at least helps explain why it isn't working perfectly.

Thanks,

Brett

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
mlucia503
Participant

SOLVE

I have faced the same issue. It's only when I click on my sent emails though. Tried uninstalling and re-installing kickbox and it didn't work.

0 Upvotes
BrettLanguirand
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Newbie, Welcome to the Hubspot Community!

If you are finding that this is happening when viewing one of your sent emails in Outlook, you can alleviate self open notifications by following these instructions.  You shouldn't receive self open notifications in Gmail as long as you have the Hubspot Sales Google Chrome extension installed.  There isn't much that can be done for other email clients (Apple Mail, Mail on iOS, Mobile email clients, etc) generating self open notifications because the Hubspot Sales Extension.  The best suggestion to avoid this would be to use the same client that the emails are sent from (Gmail or Outlook).

I hope this helps! 

Brett

mld20005
Participant

SOLVE

Hello,

I use Outlook and Chrome as my browser.  I have recently noticed that opening my sent emails (from my desktop) creates an "opened email" activity.  I have the latest version installed.   Any advice?

Thank you.

0 Upvotes
Participant

SOLVE

hi! @BrettLanguirand

I tried your suggestion of IP blocking. It works for the computer ie when I check message I sent out from my computer (Mac) I dont get a notification, however not for the iphone. When I check on a sent message from my iphone HS marks it as a notification even though I registered my phone's IP address under Settings to be blocked. 

0 Upvotes
BrettLanguirand
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Newbie,

It is rare (almost impossible) for iPhones to maintain the same IP address over an extended period of time.  One reason for this is because anytime you switch between Wifi and 3G/LTE, your phone will have 2 different IP addresses.  Secondly, your iPhone will have different IP addresses in each of the wifi networks it connects to, but to complicate the matter even more, most iPhones use dynamic IP addresses within a wifi network.  This means that even on your own home network, your iPhone will likely have different IP addresses after a certain amount of time.  

The blocked IP workaround works best for computers.  It can help reduce notifications from your iPhone if you add multiple blocked IP addresses, but it isn't a perfect solution.  Unfortunately, there aren't really any better alternatives at this time.  I'm sure that's not what you want to hear, but I hope it at least helps explain why it isn't working perfectly.

Thanks,

Brett

MarkStrong
Participant

SOLVE

Hi Brett, 

I would like to re-open this case and clarify a couple of points.

When we configure IP address Exclusion List, we need to add EXTERNAL IP addresses of the network our devices (PC, laptop, iPhone etc) are connected to. No matetr what the internal IP address is, the external IP address will be the same for all devices. This is called NAT - Network Address Translation, if we going into technical details. 

Here is the scenario: You create an email in Hubspot and send it to the client. When client opens it at their end, you get notification. When client replies and you open their email in your email client (Mail on Mac or iPhone in my case), it triggers email read notification even though I am opening it from a network with external IP address that's been added to the exclusion list. If I understand the logic of such setup correctly, this should not happen. But it still does. 

Can this issue be investigated by your technical team please? 

Thank you.

0 Upvotes
mike984515

SOLVE

Hi @BrettLanguirand,

I've just noticed the same problem, and then some.
When I open/respond to a chain of emails on my iPad (within my home wifi network, whilst HS app been open as well) I've noticed that HS records notifications every minute for the entire duration of my email typing. So I get 15-25 notifications recorded to one email.
essentially over a half of my 200 notifications allowance was gone in half a day.

this doesn't look creates too much noise and doesn't really help evaluating the system

and I wonder whether you've done anything about it since last year

thanks

Mike

0 Upvotes
verdantspark

SOLVE

Disappointing to see that 4 years on, we're finding the same issue and no fix from HS? Not great - but I can see why they wouldn't bother, as this is a funnel to have people buy increased licences.

bigguygonz

SOLVE

I am also having this issue. I'm using gmail from my desktop (and mobile from inside my wifi network). My IP is listed to block in hubspot (I checked to make sure it matches). 

I provided screenshots to show the email open on my desktop and the notfication log on my phone. Note: the date/time on the desktop is 1 minute behind only because it took me a minute to get the snipping tool up. Additionally, while the email subject is not a match, it was part of an email chain where the subject was changed. 

Sent Mail Desktop.PNGFile_000.png

0 Upvotes
Participant

SOLVE

Hi! @BrettLanguirand

Thanks for your reply. We are using Gmail not outlook so the solution did not work but i aprecaite your quick reply! If you know a way to fix the problem in Gmail id love to hear back from you. 

Thanks again

Dimple

0 Upvotes
BrettLanguirand
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @Newbie

Thank you for clarifying that information!

When you are viewing the email, is it in Google Chrome with the Hubspot Sales extension installed?  Typically, as long as this is the case, the Hubspot Sales Extension should prevent self open notifications.  Please let me know if this is not happening.  

If you are sending the email from Google Chrome with the extension, but then opening the email either in Apple mail, or maybe on a mobile device, the only way to stop self open notifications would be to block your IP address from generating notifications.  Instructions on how to do this can be found here.  

Let me know if this helps!

Brett

mbigelow

SOLVE

Brett,

I am a start-up mortgage company and just installed GSuite and Hubspot as well.  I installed the extension for Chrome. When sending an email from gmail as soon as I hit send I get the notification that I opened the email on my own.  I have an Android phone and gmail set up on the phone.

Thanks

Mark

0 Upvotes