Note: Originally posted on inbound.org and directed here

When I think about inbound marketing I like to break it up into two parts:

1. Inbound marketing campaigns
  2. Real-time marketing activity

An Inbound marketing campaign, according to HubSpot, is a concentrated effort over about 4-6 weeks that aligns everyone of your marketing channels and all your content around a single goal and message. A successful inbound marketing campaign is planned out, produced and scheduled for a specific launch date. The idea is to focus on one area of what you do so you can set a specific goal and accurately measure performance.

But inbound marketers also work in real-time. Posting blog articles to help boost traffic, publishing blog articles in response to industry news or a customer question, optimizing page performance (landing pages and blog pages), link building, building new offers and conversion paths, testing landing pages and emails, monitoring and engaging on social media and so much more.

Running two different type of campaigns in your HubSpot portal

First, the typical inbound campaign that's pre-developed, and second, the "real-time" operations campaign that tracks additional effort.

In HubSpot you can associate keywords, landing-pages, emails, call-to-actions, blog articles, website pages, paid advertising, tracking links and workflows to a specific campaign.

A real-time campaign is meant to keep tabs on all the additional effort outside of campaigns. Run a new campaign each month and associate everything you do that month with that campaign. You could also set up a separate campaign for each person or team to get an overview of individual contribution. This will give you quick access to how actions contributed to results.

Because inbound marketing is becoming increasingly more real-time and inbound marketers have such an intense focus on analytics (not always leading to better performance), I think that organizing on-going efforts this way could allow marketers to better measure efficiency and turn more real-time data into immediate action.

What do you think about this kind of campaign organization?

I am looking to begin organizing our inbound efforts in this way and I'd like to publish a case study about it.

I would love any feedback you may have or suggestions to make the process better.