Marketing Integrations

JPullan
Contributor

What happens in HubSpot after you delete a Lead or Contact in Salesforce?

SOLVE

We're a HubSpot (HS) for Marketing and Salesforce (SF) for Sales company. Scratching my head about what happens in the other system when leads and contacts are deleted in the other. We have disabled Delete in SF = Delete in HS.

For example if a Sales rep deletes a SF Lead because it is not ready or the admins do a cleanse, is HubSpot able to re-sync that record at a later point? What if the HS Contact record reaches an MQL score at a later date again?

Similarly for SF Contacts. If a SF Contact record is deleted, is HS able to re-sync it? Or will the deletion stop it being recreated in SF again? If that happens, is there a way to see which Leads and Contacts, HS wants to sync but can't because they've been deleted before?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
kaburke
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @JPullan !  Thank you for the details of your current set up, please see the answers to your questions below based on the setting for deleting in HS if deleted in SFDC turned off.  It is also important to note that all use cases are only if the HS record is syncing with the SFDC record that is deleted.  If there are duplicate records and a deletion of the record that is not syncing occurs this won't impact the syncing records.

For example, if a Sales rep deletes a SF Lead because it is not ready or the admins do a cleanse, is HubSpot able to re-sync that record at a later point?

• In HubSpot, we won't delete the record however we will 'tag' the HubSpot contact to tell the system that this has been deleted in SFDC so we do not recreate over and over again.  You are able to force the re-sync by selecting the option to resync on the relevant record.

What if the HS Contact record reaches an MQL score at a later date again?

• Then this contact will sit waiting in HubSpot.  

Similarly for SF Contacts. If a SF Contact record is deleted, is HS able to re-sync it? Or will the deletion stop it being recreated in SF again?

• HubSpot does not differentiate between SFDC leads or contacts so the same rule applies as above.

If that happens, is there a way to see which Leads and Contacts, HS wants to sync but can't because they've been deleted before?

• If you want to capture these contacts that are 'stuck', I would recommend that you create a smart list with the criteria 'is in SFDC inclusion list' and 'last SFDC sync time is before *enter date in the past*'. When you go into the record under the SFDC card you will see the following message and under actions, you will have the option to resync.

SFDC.png

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8
elanashama
Top Contributor

SOLVE

Hi @lukerumley ! 

To answer your question, you can map the SFDC lead status field to a custom property in HubSpot. That way, you can run a workflow in HubSpot to automatically change the lead status based on whatever criteria you choose, and the sync will update the existing SFDC record and re-open the lead.

Alternatively, you can re-open the lead in Salesforce, and the the change will sync to the HubSpot record.

Hope this helps.

lukerumley
Participant

SOLVE

@kaburke, this answer was EXTREMELY helpful and our HS/SF setup seems to be nearly identical to the OP. One additional question would be what happens if a Salesforce lead is set to "disqualified" and in the future we'd like to re-open that lead. Fully manual on the Salesforce side or might HubSpot recreate it if it meets sync rules again?

0 Upvotes
kaburke
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @lukerumley !  Glad that you found this helpful as well 😀 This is difficult for me to answer as I don't know your exact set-up.  When you say you are marking the lead as 'disqualified' in SFDC what information is passed back to HubSpot and what is the process if a lead is being re-opened?  Is a new record created or is the current lead updated?

kaburke
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @JPullan !  Thank you for the details of your current set up, please see the answers to your questions below based on the setting for deleting in HS if deleted in SFDC turned off.  It is also important to note that all use cases are only if the HS record is syncing with the SFDC record that is deleted.  If there are duplicate records and a deletion of the record that is not syncing occurs this won't impact the syncing records.

For example, if a Sales rep deletes a SF Lead because it is not ready or the admins do a cleanse, is HubSpot able to re-sync that record at a later point?

• In HubSpot, we won't delete the record however we will 'tag' the HubSpot contact to tell the system that this has been deleted in SFDC so we do not recreate over and over again.  You are able to force the re-sync by selecting the option to resync on the relevant record.

What if the HS Contact record reaches an MQL score at a later date again?

• Then this contact will sit waiting in HubSpot.  

Similarly for SF Contacts. If a SF Contact record is deleted, is HS able to re-sync it? Or will the deletion stop it being recreated in SF again?

• HubSpot does not differentiate between SFDC leads or contacts so the same rule applies as above.

If that happens, is there a way to see which Leads and Contacts, HS wants to sync but can't because they've been deleted before?

• If you want to capture these contacts that are 'stuck', I would recommend that you create a smart list with the criteria 'is in SFDC inclusion list' and 'last SFDC sync time is before *enter date in the past*'. When you go into the record under the SFDC card you will see the following message and under actions, you will have the option to resync.

SFDC.png

GHakkenberg

SOLVE

Thanks @kaburke . I have synced all my contacts between HubSpot and Google Contacts (Gmail) using the integration.

I now want to delete a bunch of those contacts in HubSpot. Does that mean that while the integration always keeps syncing, a contact from Google Contacts that I have deleted in HubSpot, will not automatically be put back in again? 😅

0 Upvotes
kaburke
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @gha !  I no longer work as a technical consultant and it has been a long time since I have looked at the SFDC integration so I am not sure whether there are changes but from asking other current TCs and from my understanding.  If you mean that you want to delete the contacts created by Gmail in HubSpot, and are wondering if the SFDC integration will not re-add them then that is correct.

0 Upvotes
JPullan
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks so much @kaburke , really helpful.

We've had a couple of instances where changes to Lead Scoring have inadvertently created new leads in SF that needed removing.

Given that deleting these Leads from SF will cause them to be 'stuck' in HS,  is there a way to remove the tag that tells HubSpot these have been deleted? What is the best thing to do in this instance?

0 Upvotes
kaburke
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

My absolute pleasure!  😁  If you contact the support team, they will be able to delete these tags.  Put together the list and submit a ticket asking for all associations to SFDC to be deleted and that should get your sorted.

0 Upvotes