Marketing Integrations

RWR
Participant

Syncing HS Contacts into SFDC Campaign + Odd Workflow Errors

SOLVE

Hey all, 

Chipping away at some stress fractures I have discovred while bulk importing contacts from a recent in-person event. 

The skinny of it is, HS contacts are getting successfully synced into SFDC, but those contacts aren't being added to the supporting SFDC campaign.

This is where it gets a bit perplexing - I set up a workflow (pictured below) to add the contacts in question to the SFDC campaign. That workflow is expereinceing two issues: 

1. The workflow states that a good chunk have 'completed workflow' and yet when I go to look in SFDC to see if the contacts are in the campaign and assigned to the correct 'status' -  they don't show up. 
  2. I'm getting an error code 'No corresponding Salesforce contact'. Now, this would make sense if the contacts didn't exist in SFDC, but as I mentioned earlier, the contacts have successfully been synced over. 

I think it would be prudent to note, when orignally attempting to sync the contacts there was an issue with contacts being synced over. At the time the workflow was running it is very possible the contacts it was trying to impact did not yet have a corresponding contact in SFDC, yet. If this was the case though, I don't understand why all contacts wouldn't have received an error code. Currently some state to have made it through the workflow while others did not. All in reality never completed the follow as shown by their lack of attendance in the SFDC campaign assocaited with the workflow.

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.55.30 AM.png

Snapshot of contacts that 'completed' the workflow

Screen Shot 2022-08-23 at 11.56.02 AM.png

Snapshot of contacts that have error code associated w/ workflow

Any help would be greatly appreciated 🙌

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
RWR
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Hey @jolle , 

All good questions and to answer your questions: 

1. Yes

2. We made a strategic decision to not leverage an inclusion list. So that isn't an issue. 

3. Not exceeding call limit 

4. There were a couple of errors. HINT

5. Yes

Ultimately I discovered the issue and there were a couple of culprits. 

I previously posted in the HS community about an error I was getting when inporting contacts into hubspot not syncing over to SFDC.  When that error took place it kept contacts from being synced over to SFDC, but it didn't keep contacts from entering the workflow. 

As a result, when the contacts didn't sync to salesforce and they workflow reached the stage where it tried to add the contacts into the SFDC campaign, the contacts weren't in SFDC to ad. 

This was the reason why contacts weren't getting added to the campaign. Where the confusion came from, and still somewhat remains, is why some contacts were marked as completeing the workflow, while others triggered an error.  

Ultimately I needed to switch on multiple enrollments for the workflow and manually re-enroll the contacts through the workflow and all populated in the campaign. But not before I had to solve the 'unique field error' I mentioned above. 

So at the end of the day, one missfire at the begining of the import process set of a chain reacition of issues and need to be untangled.

That said, even though I have 'solved' my issue, I still am not sure why some contacts triggered an error while others 'completed' the workflow without completing the desired end result. Maybe it has to do with how Hubspot defines 'complete' in a workflow? 

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3
jolle
Recognized Expert | Partner

SOLVE

Hey @RWR, thanks for sharing! This is definitely a weird occurrence. 

I haven't encountered something like this before, but I would confirm the following:

1. Are you sure that there are no duplicate records in Salesforce that could potentially be causing issues?
  2. Are you sure that all of the contacts enrolled in the workflow are included in your HubSpot inclusion list for the Salesforce integration?
  3. Are you exceeding your API call limit?
  4. Are you seeing any other errors from the Salesforce integration page within HubSpot?
  5. Do you have other HubSpot workflows that have successfully set the Salesforce campaign and status?

If everything checks out there, I recommend creating a ticket with HubSpot Support to see if they can tell you more about what's happening in the backend. 

And if you're still having trouble, this may be a function that's better handled within Salesforce. As long as you're able to pass along a contact record value that would trigger an automation in Salesforce, you'll be golden.

Hope this helps!! Let me know if there's anything else you're troubleshooting or if you hear back from Support!

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature
RWR
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Hey @jolle , 

All good questions and to answer your questions: 

1. Yes

2. We made a strategic decision to not leverage an inclusion list. So that isn't an issue. 

3. Not exceeding call limit 

4. There were a couple of errors. HINT

5. Yes

Ultimately I discovered the issue and there were a couple of culprits. 

I previously posted in the HS community about an error I was getting when inporting contacts into hubspot not syncing over to SFDC.  When that error took place it kept contacts from being synced over to SFDC, but it didn't keep contacts from entering the workflow. 

As a result, when the contacts didn't sync to salesforce and they workflow reached the stage where it tried to add the contacts into the SFDC campaign, the contacts weren't in SFDC to ad. 

This was the reason why contacts weren't getting added to the campaign. Where the confusion came from, and still somewhat remains, is why some contacts were marked as completeing the workflow, while others triggered an error.  

Ultimately I needed to switch on multiple enrollments for the workflow and manually re-enroll the contacts through the workflow and all populated in the campaign. But not before I had to solve the 'unique field error' I mentioned above. 

So at the end of the day, one missfire at the begining of the import process set of a chain reacition of issues and need to be untangled.

That said, even though I have 'solved' my issue, I still am not sure why some contacts triggered an error while others 'completed' the workflow without completing the desired end result. Maybe it has to do with how Hubspot defines 'complete' in a workflow? 

jolle

SOLVE

Thanks so much for the thorough explanation, @RWR! Glad to hear that you were able to resolve this. 

Maybe HubSpot was able to have the contacts "complete" the workflow even there were errors with the individual actions. If the contact was able to move on from the errored "set SF campaign" step and reach the end of the workflow, that could show both the error within the "Action log" and the successful completion within the "Enrollment History."

Either way, I'm glad that you were able to figure it out and appreciate your sharing the solution with the rest of the community in case anyone experiences the same issue! I know I'll definitely keep this in mind during that crucial initial import. Thanks again!

Jacob

Jacob Olle

Marketing Operations Manager

HubSpot Certified Trainer

Create Your Own Free Signature
0 Upvotes