Marketing Integrations

pbrown

Storing Hubspot Contact URL in Salesforce

SOLVE

I'm creating some customized workflow rules in Salesforce and would like to send the link to the Hubspot Contact to the recipient of my workflow email.  Hubspot already provides this link via the Hubspot Intelligence Visual Force page.  However, I'd like to create a field and store it in the field and can't seem to find it in the Hubspot properties.  It's also critical that the user clicking the link doesn't have to log into Hubspot.   Can anyone help?

Essentially, I want to store this link:

Destiny_Berger___Salesforce.png

1 Accepted solution
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @pbrown. The short answer is that you won't be able to accomplish this natively. 

If you can put something in a property, it can be mapped to Salesforce (or other integrations). The problem is that this unique identifier, the record ID representing the HubSpot contact, is something which isn't stored in any property.

If your team has developer resources available, you may have some options. Articles on the developer forums, describing how to get a HubSpot contact's ID (called the vid). If you're able to successfully retrieve the vid, you could use that to populate a custom URL property on contacts, matching the scheme for URLs for HubSpot contacts: 

https://app.hubspot.com/contacts/[YOUR_MARKETING_PORTAL_ID]/contact/[CONTACT_VID]/

Please note this is an unsupported solution. You're welcome to try an approach like this, but your only resources for assistance are the developer forums. HubSpot Support is not likely to assist with questions involving projects like this.

If developer resources aren't available, the best you can do is to make your Salesforce workflow email alert include copy, with instructions how to navigate to HubSpot. ("Click this link to view the Salesforce record, then click the View in HubSpot button to see the record in HubSpot.")

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12
AndreaD
Participant

SOLVE

This should be a field in the database that we can pull as a token. In my case, I have used Zapier and Trello to create a marketing pipeline similar to how it displays in deals, but pre-opportunity. Everything works great but I cannot get a direct link to the record into the Trello card because there is no corresponding token for a direct link to the contact record. [sadface]

0 Upvotes
ChrisBert

SOLVE

AndreaD, id you find a solution ? I am looking to do the same thing (I think) : to automatically (with Zapier) copy the url link of the HubSpot's contact into a Trello card.

If someone has an idea, any help is welcome Smiley Very Happy

Thanks

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @pbrown. The short answer is that you won't be able to accomplish this natively. 

If you can put something in a property, it can be mapped to Salesforce (or other integrations). The problem is that this unique identifier, the record ID representing the HubSpot contact, is something which isn't stored in any property.

If your team has developer resources available, you may have some options. Articles on the developer forums, describing how to get a HubSpot contact's ID (called the vid). If you're able to successfully retrieve the vid, you could use that to populate a custom URL property on contacts, matching the scheme for URLs for HubSpot contacts: 

https://app.hubspot.com/contacts/[YOUR_MARKETING_PORTAL_ID]/contact/[CONTACT_VID]/

Please note this is an unsupported solution. You're welcome to try an approach like this, but your only resources for assistance are the developer forums. HubSpot Support is not likely to assist with questions involving projects like this.

If developer resources aren't available, the best you can do is to make your Salesforce workflow email alert include copy, with instructions how to navigate to HubSpot. ("Click this link to view the Salesforce record, then click the View in HubSpot button to see the record in HubSpot.")

ChrisTashjian

SOLVE

I just went through this exercise and found this thread. Currently appending the contact.email field to the URL will work as well

This code below will create a direct link to the Contact profile (for users that are currently logged into your org)

Profile: <a href="https://app.hubspot.com/contacts/5653324/contact/{{ contact.email }}">https://app.hubspot.com/contacts/5653324/contact/{{ contact.email }}</a></p>

SebastianT
Participant

SOLVE

this is really awesome. exactly what I was looking for and it works. however, I would mention that you need to change the account ID to yours, as I got redirected to your account, but couldnt login of course.

0 Upvotes
pbrown

SOLVE

@bradmin - Thank you!  This is kinda what I thought, unfortunately.  I reviewed the link you sent prior to my post and will discuss with our development team.

If I may ask one follow-up question...the unsupported solution you gave below makes perfect sense to me and I was able to get close to this in Salesforce.  However, when I clicked the link (example link: https://app.hubspot.com/contacts/123456/contact/1234/), it takes me to the HubSpot login page.  Is there documentation out there for deriving the public link (which I believe includes some type of token) that allows access to the contact details without logging in?  That I couldn't find today when researching.

Your solution of adding instructions in my task/email update was my plan B.  Will move forward with that one for now.

Thanks again!!! 

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

The "public contact URL" which is stored within the Salesforce link is a little different, and looks more like a long, unintelligible string stored in a URL. Like the vid, this is also not associated with a property.

Articles like this one about retrieving the user token on the developers' site would get you the value you want, but the process would be the same - you'd have to extract the string from the contact, and reformat it accordingly in order to work. [I think the 'profile-url' value has the entirety of what you're looking for, and wouldn't require modification. It would still require dev resources to retrieve, however.]

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Alternately, you can disable the Public View Login setting in Contacts Settings. This way, anyone who clicks the View in HubSpot link in Salesforce would be directed to the more straightforward, in-app URL if they have a HubSpot login, and not the public contact URL (available to anyone). Here's what the setting looks like in-app:

Screen Shot 2017-05-11 at 3.16.07 PM.png

For security reasons, it may not be possible or practical for your org to do this, but it's an option.

0 Upvotes
AlexT

SOLVE

@bradmin where can I find the setting you mentioned? I've been around all the pages, but can't see it. Is it limited based on the current subscription plan?

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@AlexT, in the new nav, try the following URL and toggle the Allow Public View option: 

https://app.hubspot.com/sales-products-settings/[YOUR_PORTAL_ID]/contacts

0 Upvotes
AlexT

SOLVE

Nothing there:

2017-10-11 08_03_44-Settings.png

0 Upvotes
CraigBailey
Contributor | Platinum Partner
Contributor | Platinum Partner

SOLVE

Here's how it should look (see below) - but there seems to be a bug in HubSpot where if you toggle it off, it completely disappears. ie it only shows if it is enabled.

So I'd suggest raising a support ticket about it, and asking Support to enable for you.

hubspot-allow-public-view.png