Marketing Integrations

lburns22
Participant

Setting Salesforce Campaigns

SOLVE

Hi community, 

My company just enabled the Hubspot Salesforce integration. We are using an inclusion list to only sync marketing qualified leads over into Salesforce.

I have applied Salesforce campaigns to all of my landing pages with forms.  I also tried to apply Salesforce campaigns to existing leads (contacts in Hubspot) via workflows.  

But then I realized that leads can only get a Salesforce campaign applied to them if they are IN Salesforce already.  Since much of our database is not on the inclusion list:

1) Will Hubspot contacts essentially "hold on" to a Salesforce campaign UNTIL they end up on the inclusion list (become an MQL)?

2) OR do we have to make sure SF campaigns are only assigned after a lead ends up on the inclusion list (I guess we would create workflows who's entry criteria is that they are on the inclusion list, they filled out this form, assign this campaign) - seems like a lot of work to set this up for every campaign asset.

1 Accepted solution
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @lburns22. This is a painful thing which requires doing the planning up front, and based on the use case you described, could mean using a mechanism different from forms entirely.

You're correct that assigning unsynced records (not on the inclusion list) to Salesforce campaigns won't automatically sync them to Salesforce. This leaves one of two practical options: 

1) [preferred] Augment your inclusion list to account for anyone where Salesforce Campaign IDs is known. On the first submission where Salesforce campaign enrollment is enabled, the record will join the inclusion list shortly after submission, and sync with the campaign enrollment intact. 

2) If the above isn't possible, Salesforce campaign enrollment is also possible through HubSpot workflows. This will let you assign the campaign, and if desired, the campaign member status, based on the workflow criteria. The drawback to this approach is that it's not a great scalable solution. If you're enrolling into lots of different campaigns, or there are a lot of unique form-campaign combinations, those will all have to be built into unique if/then branches in your workflow. This can get unwieldy quickly. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @lburns22. This is a painful thing which requires doing the planning up front, and based on the use case you described, could mean using a mechanism different from forms entirely.

You're correct that assigning unsynced records (not on the inclusion list) to Salesforce campaigns won't automatically sync them to Salesforce. This leaves one of two practical options: 

1) [preferred] Augment your inclusion list to account for anyone where Salesforce Campaign IDs is known. On the first submission where Salesforce campaign enrollment is enabled, the record will join the inclusion list shortly after submission, and sync with the campaign enrollment intact. 

2) If the above isn't possible, Salesforce campaign enrollment is also possible through HubSpot workflows. This will let you assign the campaign, and if desired, the campaign member status, based on the workflow criteria. The drawback to this approach is that it's not a great scalable solution. If you're enrolling into lots of different campaigns, or there are a lot of unique form-campaign combinations, those will all have to be built into unique if/then branches in your workflow. This can get unwieldy quickly. 

lburns22
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you @bradmin. That makes sense and confirms what I suspected.  Option 1 that you provided will work fine for our "contact us" forms.   But we also use lead scoring to determine who gets added to our inclusion list, and sent to sales.  Which makes the latter option seem to be our best bet for those leads. 

I think what I will do is setup workflows for the major campaigns we have that assigns Salesforce campaign based on what email nurture workflow the contact was in prior to becoming marketing qualified.  

Thanks for your help!

bradmin
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Glad to hear option 1 will be viable for the bulk of the work, @lburns22. Other gotchas to watch out for:

- If you have the auto-add functionality turned on (the feature which automatically adds new Salesforce leads or contacts with valid and unique emails to HubSpot), make sure your inclusion list accounts for this. Otherwise, auto-added records might sync to HubSpot initially, but subsequent updates from Salesforce wouldn't push to the HubSpot contact.

- N.B. to the above: A static list called `Auto-added from Salesforce' is created if you have this feature enabled. In addition to adding it to the inclusion list criteria, never, ever, ever delete this list, as it can not be recreated, even with HubSpot's help.

- There will be a tiny bit of latency associated with first joining the inclusion list, after the form submit. Since the inclusion list is a prerequisite, this means that there may be a slightly-longer-than-expected delay - perhaps a couple of minutes more - before that record syncs. This is especially true if you have a lot of contacts in your portal, or a lot of lists to evaluate against. 

None of these are blockers, but use them in context of your integration and use case. 

lburns22
Participant

SOLVE

Oh thank you.  We just set up a selective sync (for contacts coming into Hubspot from Salesforce) and I need to actually change the integration settings to allow the new contacts get created and I have not done that yet.  I plan to change the setting to "if eligible to sync, create a contact when a Salesforce contact is created or an existing contact is updated."

But this is really good to know as I wasn't aware of these points. Thanks!

0 Upvotes