Salesforce inclusion list

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hi, 

I'm working with an enterprise level client on cleaning their HS portal. One of our issues in the sync list with SF. We need to change the criteria of the list. 

My client brought up an issue that I'm not familiar with - the change to the list would cause all the contacts to resync to SF, in the sense that their records on SF would be modified and sales would get notifications about contacts that are already in salesforce and haven't necessarily taken any action (bottom line they should get notified about them and we're talking about over 3k contacts). 

Is anyone familiar with this, how can make changes to the list without shaking the entire system?

Thanks

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
Esteemed Advisor

Hi, @MaayanSel. Any resync from HubSpot - whether it be from something activity or field-based - updates the last modified date and time in Salesforce. If there is any data in that sync which triggers Salesforce automation, there won't be any stopping that. 

Since you're reevaluating inclusion list logic, you're correct that net-new contacts added to the list could trigger new lead notifications. What wouldn't happen, for existing contacts on the list still on the list after your edits, is for any data to change in Salesforce on those records. The last modified date on those records would be updated, but without any material change to mapped fields, it's unlikely the list update would trigger any Salesforce automation for this set. 

With all of that said, there won't be a way of updating the list without triggering syncs. You may want to consider temporarily disabling any email-based automation from Salesforce (like email alerts from workflows, or Process Builder automation) until the resyncs are complete. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
Regular Contributor

Thank you for this! 

Another side question - In order for contacts to continue to sync, they need to be on the inclusion list correct? For example, if I restrict the list to new contacts, then past synced contacts won't be eligible to sync anymore?

Thanks again

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

Yes, once no longer on the inclusion list, changes to mapped properties (or configured activities) no longer trigger the sync to Salesforce.

What's really going on? People who shuffle around inclusion list membership or have concerns about frequencies of syncing are usually worried about Salesforce API calls. Is that's what's happening here? 

If so, adjusting inclusion list criteria frequently to save on calls is like cutting off your nose to spite your face. The universe of records syncing between HubSpot and Salesforce should be a function of the business, and not an arbitrary gaming to get under some defined limit. I understand very well this is a practical limitation, but since changing the list resyncs everyone, frequently changing the list to get under API calls will result in large bursts of calls when the entire list resyncs.

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

It's not APIs at all. 

The configuration of the current list is messy and wrong business wise.

Ultimately I want to simplify the process, without overloading sales with notifications and making sure that previous synced contacts that are in-process continue to sync. 

Thanks

0 Upvotes
Esteemed Advisor

Okay, thanks. I sounded more accusatory than I wanted to be - as long as you're not gaming the system, you can expect a fair amount of sync activity to occur on each scoring change. 

If minimizing notifications is the goal, you may want to wait until a low-volume time of week to rewrite the list, or temporarily disable the email alerts which might potentially fire, or both. 

Unless you'll get a lot of net-new contacts joining the inclusion list with your edit, changing the list criteria shouldn't be too noisy in Salesforce. Records will have their Last Modified Date updated, but there shouldn't be any changes to mapped properties. If there's Salesforce-side automation firing on any update, and that automation sends email, that's what you'll want to consider disabling. 

0 Upvotes