Marketing Integrations

MaayanSel
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Salesforce duplications

SOLVE

Hi, 

I have a client that has a problem where HS is creating duplications in SF. HS has admin access to SF and can see all the leads and contacts so that's not the issue. 

HS keep saying that they won't create a duplication for an existing email, but in fact, it's happening.

Has this happened to anyone? Or can anyone explain how the logic works and what definitions we should be looking at?

Thanks

2 Accepted solutions
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

Salesforce duplications

SOLVE

Hi, @MaayanSel. There might be some configuration issues which could potentially allow the connector to create duplicate records in Salesforce, but it's pretty unlikely. One such example: You have sharing rules set up on leads to be private. The connector creates a new lead in Salesforce, and lead assignment rules assign it to a user who's higher in the role hierarchy than the integration user. The record would be "seen" by the connector on create, but not afterwards. The next sync would create a duplicate record. 

It's also possible there are other integrations, automation, or Apex responsible for creating duplicate records. This can be sort of difficult to troubleshoot. 

On both the original and duplicate records, are the Created By and Last Modified By user both the integration user? If the Created By user differs, it wouldn't be something that the connector did. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

Salesforce duplications

SOLVE

The trigger is an update to a mapped property on a HubSpot contact, with a valid email and on the inclusion list (or is not a Subscriber lifecycle stage, if no inclusion list). When the sync occurs, there's a HubSpot Intelligence record create/update in addition to the lead/contact create/update, and associated with that synced record. 

There's something else that's going on which is interfering. Maybe there's something going on with the permissions on the HubSpot Intelligence object on the integration user. [An extremely long shot is going to the Objects menu in Salesforce, clicking the HubSpot Intelligence object, and ensuring it's set to "Deployed", and not "In Development." It's virtually unlikely this is the culprit, but that setting would render any object settings on the integration user moot.]

Another possibility is that there's something going on with the mappings to the email field itself. Check the contact field mappings page in-app in HubSpot, and ensure that the mapping to the standard email field is nonduplicated with custom mappings, and set to always update from either side. If there are duplicated custom mappings, ensure the update rule is consistent across all mappings. 

If it's not those, then it's possible there's some other integration, automation, code, or user creating duplicates. Check the Created By/Last Modified By users on the duplicate records. Do they match the integration user? If not, then it's something else in play. 

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10
LaurenRyan
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner
Top Contributor | Diamond Partner

Salesforce duplications

SOLVE

We will review tricky duplicate issues like this in our upcoming training session on duplicates in the HubSpot Salesforce integration. Register here!

PS - If you register in advance, we'll email you the recording after if you can't make it.

benlehmand2l

Salesforce duplications

SOLVE

Hi Maayan,

We're experiencing a similar issue with our Hubspot <-> Salesforce integration - can you please advise if any discoveries were made on why this was occurring?

We're hoping to understand if a similar root cause could be affecting us as well.

We've been observing duplicates which started up in the past 2-3 weeks, despite us having the integration enabled for years.

Thanks,

Ben

0 Upvotes
hardymeg

Salesforce duplications

SOLVE

Hi Maayan,

I am having the exact same issue with duplicates and tearing my hair out!  Would you be able to share how you fixed this - that would be amazing!

Thanks
Meg

0 Upvotes
SteveKerr

Salesforce duplications

SOLVE

What was the solution to this? I am having the same problem.

0 Upvotes
RBoze
Participant

Salesforce duplications

SOLVE

Hey @SteveKerr,

As the other replies have noted, it is hard to say what could be causing this without diving in and doing some testing. There is a high probability that there is a third-party integration or automation on the Salesforce side causing this to happen, as it is not typical sync behavior. 

As others noted, check the Created By/Last Modified By for the duplicate records duplicate records. Do they match the integrated user? If not, then chances are that it is a third-party integration. 

Also it may seem like common sense, but I would double check that the duplicates actual do share an exact-match email. Two contacts between both systems could be nearly identical but use two different email addresses — jim@acme.com/jim@acme.co/jim@acme.co.uk, for example — and not be identified.

In the meantime until you figure you out what is causing the behavior, you'll have to merge duplicates in Salesforce while retaining the sync. This can be a bit tricky at times and requires that you merge all duplicates into a master record that is syncing with HubSpot. If you merge into the wrong record, the sync would break for those records and could result in discarded data, depending on your settings. 

If that happens, you'll see this on the contact page:

salesforce-sync-resync.png

To figure out which records are syncing, you'll need to go to the HubSpot contact profile page and find the  Salesforce Lead ID or Salesforce Contact ID property. Then you'll need to go to Salesforce and find the corresponding record, which will serve as the master record when you merge. It can be a bit tedious but is necessary. 

You'll also want to check your sync settings for contacts and leads in HubSpot. If you have it set to delete in HubSpot, you may accidentally delete data in HubSpot when you merge in Salesforce (the merge technically deletes the record that is merged into the master).

salesforce-updating-leads-contacts.png

On the other hand, choosing not to delete the record means that you'll have orphaned duplicate records remaining in Hubspot, which will require deduplication there as well. But that's often preferable to losing the data.

Also — and full disclosure here, I work for Insycle — but we just published a big guide on deduplicating contacts/leads/accounts/companies between Salesforce and HubSpot while keeping the sync in tact. Following the steps laid out in the guide, you can bulk merge across both platforms without having to go back and forth between them checking IDs and figuring out what the appropriate master record is. If you'd like to check it out: How to Merge Duplicates in HubSpot and Salesforce and Keep them Syncing

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Key Advisor

Salesforce duplications

SOLVE

Hi, @benlehmand2l. Issues like this are almost certainly a function of automation and code (either custom, or a third-party package), and is unlikely to have many commonalities between impacted orgs. 

There's not a great approach for issues like this; it's going to involve a lot of piecemeal testing, enabling and disabling functionality and packages until you're able to get a better idea of what's happening.

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

Salesforce duplications

SOLVE

Hi, @MaayanSel. There might be some configuration issues which could potentially allow the connector to create duplicate records in Salesforce, but it's pretty unlikely. One such example: You have sharing rules set up on leads to be private. The connector creates a new lead in Salesforce, and lead assignment rules assign it to a user who's higher in the role hierarchy than the integration user. The record would be "seen" by the connector on create, but not afterwards. The next sync would create a duplicate record. 

It's also possible there are other integrations, automation, or Apex responsible for creating duplicate records. This can be sort of difficult to troubleshoot. 

On both the original and duplicate records, are the Created By and Last Modified By user both the integration user? If the Created By user differs, it wouldn't be something that the connector did. 

0 Upvotes
MaayanSel

Salesforce duplications

SOLVE

Hey, thanks for your answer. 

That's the thing, the connector has all privileges so no leads are hidden from it. 

My question is what's the trigger on HS side for creating a lead in SF, I keep hearing email but obviously, it's creating duplications. So not sure how to go about this. 

The Created By and Last Modified By user are both the integration user.

Thanks again 

0 Upvotes
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

Salesforce duplications

SOLVE

The trigger is an update to a mapped property on a HubSpot contact, with a valid email and on the inclusion list (or is not a Subscriber lifecycle stage, if no inclusion list). When the sync occurs, there's a HubSpot Intelligence record create/update in addition to the lead/contact create/update, and associated with that synced record. 

There's something else that's going on which is interfering. Maybe there's something going on with the permissions on the HubSpot Intelligence object on the integration user. [An extremely long shot is going to the Objects menu in Salesforce, clicking the HubSpot Intelligence object, and ensuring it's set to "Deployed", and not "In Development." It's virtually unlikely this is the culprit, but that setting would render any object settings on the integration user moot.]

Another possibility is that there's something going on with the mappings to the email field itself. Check the contact field mappings page in-app in HubSpot, and ensure that the mapping to the standard email field is nonduplicated with custom mappings, and set to always update from either side. If there are duplicated custom mappings, ensure the update rule is consistent across all mappings. 

If it's not those, then it's possible there's some other integration, automation, code, or user creating duplicates. Check the Created By/Last Modified By users on the duplicate records. Do they match the integration user? If not, then it's something else in play. 

MaayanSel

Salesforce duplications

SOLVE

Thank you very much for your replies, we're checking it out. 

0 Upvotes