Marketing Integrations

JGumble
Participant

Salesforce Address Syncing Errors

SOLVE

We have been getting syncing errors for address fields ever since we integrated with HubSpot. 

Our Salesforce Leads and Contracts use different address sets (Address and Mailing Address respectively). I am only concerned with the country and state fields, since we use those for territory distribution for our sales team. 

When we initially integrated we were getting errors because the standard HubSpot address fields are single line text feilds, but Salesforce country and state fields are picklists. Our integration partner set up country specific dropdown fields for multiple countries that are used in Forms (i.e. if you are filling out one of our Forms and select Canada as your country, a new field appears only showing Canadian provinces). They also set up workflows that update the standard HubSpot address fields based on the value in these country specific fields. 

The solution I found was to create new Dropdown fields in HubSpot called Country (sync) and State/Province (sync) and ensure that the values in those fields match the values available in Salesforce. The country list matches and the state list matches for every country that has states in the Salesforce picklist (United States, Canada, Mexico, India, China, and Ireland). I then set up two way field mappings as: 

• State/province (Sync) (Dropdown) <> Mailing State/Province Code (Picklist) 
  • State/province (Sync) (Dropdown) <> State/Province Code (Picklist) 
  • Country (sync) <> Mailing Country Code (Picklist) 
  • Country (sync) <> Country Code (Picklist) 

I chose Country Code fields from Salesforce, since they were the only picklist options. 

I am still getting error codes, but only when prospects fill out a form. These can generally be solved by manually updating the coutnry and state in salesforce and resyncing, but not always. I am aware that I have made this process overly convoluted and am sure I am missing something pretty simple, but online resources have not helped. Any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks! 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
JGumble
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Yes, we were able to settle this. My original post overcomplicated the process too much, which lead to errors.

First, we edited the standard State/Region and Country field values to match the options that exist in Salesforce, rather than using the custom dropdown fields I mentioned in my post. Then I mapped the standard fields to the Salesforce fields below. I do get a yellow warning because they are mapped multiple times in order to map to both Leads and Contacts, however, this has led to minimal issues. 

JGumble_0-1689776236930.png

JGumble_1-1689776244102.png

We kept the custom dropdown state/refion fields for specific countries (United States, Canada, Mexico, India, China, and Ireland). Again, we made sure that these values matched the exact options that exist in Salesforce.

We only kept one workflow. The entry criteria is if any of the Customer State field values are known but the standard State/Region field is unknown. The workflow then has an If/Then Branch to see which of the country state field values is known, and the resulting branches copy the value from that country state field value into the stanard Stage/Region field. 

JGumble_2-1689776579018.png

The biggest lift was to make sure that the value in all of the fields matched, but once we did that, we have had no syncing errors caused from incoming form submissions. the only syncing errors we will get are when some updates either the state or country value and they no longer match. For example, if we have an address listed as ON, Canada, and then the state gets changed to MI, we'll get an error. However, this will not be caused by a form submission and is small enough that can be fixed with periodic reviews. 

Let me know if you need any more clarification on the process. 

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
ESalvatierra4
Participant

SOLVE

Curious if this was ever solved? I'm currently troubleshooting a very similar issue. 

0 Upvotes
JGumble
Solution
Participant

SOLVE

Yes, we were able to settle this. My original post overcomplicated the process too much, which lead to errors.

First, we edited the standard State/Region and Country field values to match the options that exist in Salesforce, rather than using the custom dropdown fields I mentioned in my post. Then I mapped the standard fields to the Salesforce fields below. I do get a yellow warning because they are mapped multiple times in order to map to both Leads and Contacts, however, this has led to minimal issues. 

JGumble_0-1689776236930.png

JGumble_1-1689776244102.png

We kept the custom dropdown state/refion fields for specific countries (United States, Canada, Mexico, India, China, and Ireland). Again, we made sure that these values matched the exact options that exist in Salesforce.

We only kept one workflow. The entry criteria is if any of the Customer State field values are known but the standard State/Region field is unknown. The workflow then has an If/Then Branch to see which of the country state field values is known, and the resulting branches copy the value from that country state field value into the stanard Stage/Region field. 

JGumble_2-1689776579018.png

The biggest lift was to make sure that the value in all of the fields matched, but once we did that, we have had no syncing errors caused from incoming form submissions. the only syncing errors we will get are when some updates either the state or country value and they no longer match. For example, if we have an address listed as ON, Canada, and then the state gets changed to MI, we'll get an error. However, this will not be caused by a form submission and is small enough that can be fixed with periodic reviews. 

Let me know if you need any more clarification on the process. 

DianaGomez
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @JGumble, I hope you are doing well 😊

Thanks for sharing!

Best,

Diana

¿Sabías que la Comunidad está disponible en Español?
¡Participa hoy en conversaciones en el idioma de tu preferencia,cambiando el idioma en tus configuraciones!

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes
ESalvatierra4
Participant

SOLVE

Amazing, thank you. I have started the first part of the solution and started seeing a few held back contacts start syncing. I'll also make sure to fold in the workflow you brought up. Much appreciated. 

0 Upvotes
Aakar
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @JGumble What are the fields you're capturing via HubSpot form? You should be able to solve these issues by using a HubSpot workflow to stamp the value as soon as the prospect fills up the form.

If you're still getting the sync error, I'd suggest creating some custom fields with a similar data type. For example, if the Salesforce field is a picklist, please create a dropdown in HubSpot. 
Thanks for the tag @MiaSrebrnjak 

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost
JGumble
Participant

SOLVE

Hey Akar, 

Thanks for the suggestion!

We currently have multiple state fields in our forms that appear based on the country selected (e.g. We have US States, Canada States, Brazil States, etc.). I have built out a workflow that updates custom dropdown fields for country and state that we then sync with Salesforce. I have made sure that the values that appear in these fields match the options in Salesforce, but am still getting errors. 

The most common error I am receiving is "Restricted Picklist Value", since Salesforce will only show certain state options when the right country is selected. Even when the HubSpot record contains the proper country and state (such as United States & IL or Mexico & Sonora), the error will appear. Any thoughts? 

Thanks! 

Jake 

0 Upvotes
Aakar
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hey @JGumble 

Is there a way to expand the values in Salesforce? You mentioned that, Salesforce will only show certain state options when the right country is selected. Do you mean HubSpot has more options than Salesforce? Also, what's the sync rule here? Is it two-way sync? 
Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 8.22.00 AM.png

This (above screenshot) is the solution from HubSpot. Can you screenshot and post that error message here?

Thanks.

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost
JGumble
Participant

SOLVE

Hey Aakar (Sorry for mispelling that previously), 

Here is one screenshot of the error code I am receiving: 

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.38.27 AM.png

The Salesforce address field is standard and uneditable. When I click through "Country Code" it only shows me this: 

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.38.18 AM.png

In the Salesforce front end, "Country" and "State/Province" both appear to be picklists, but they are listed as single line text in the HubSpot Field Mappings page. 

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.41.54 AM.png

I chose to sync HubSpot with "Country Code" and "State/Province Code" because those fields are picklists. These are two-way syncs.

Screen Shot 2022-06-01 at 11.44.35 AM.png

The HubSpot Field "State/Priovince (Sync)" contains any dropdown option that may appear in Salesforce when you select a country, so has more values in one place. 

I am now thinking using "Country Code" and "State/Province Code" was the wrong path. Should I change the syncing to be between the standard HubSpot "Country" and "State" and Salesforce "Country" and "State/Province", and have both set as single line text (even though the Salesforce fields appear to be picklists on the front end)? I can make sure that the workflows that set the HubSpot fields match the options in Salesforce's front end. This may still cause some sync errors if a state or country somehow gets entered differently (e.g. Salesforce US states are abbreviations, so if someone enters Wisconsin instead of WI). That may be more manageable manually with weekly reviews. 

Thanks,

Jake 

0 Upvotes
MiaSrebrnjak
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @JGumble,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

I wanted to tag in a couple of subject matter experts to see if they have any input on this matter:

hi @Aakar@MandyDROS@LaurenRyan, do you have any advice for @JGumble? Thank you!

Cheers
Mia, Community Team     

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, indem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by
changing your language settings

0 Upvotes