SalesForce Duplicating Tasks

Occasional Contributor

Have a question regarding a Hubspot campaign and the SalesForce sync creating a lot of duplicate tasks:

Currently, we are working on a campaign (e-mail campaign) for an event. We synced the Salesforce campaign with the HubSpot campaign. We have a problem here, because every time someone opens the mail, it creates a task in Salesforce.

Basically, that is very fine, except someone opened this mail 50 times. Here an example with only 4 times opened:

Is there a possibility to limit the amount of the same task?

When it was opened once, that is basically all we need to know on the Salesforce side. A second or 50th time is not necessary to know.

This happens for both automated and batch and blast emails.

I think this is a HubSpot problem, but if it's something on the SalesForce side and there's direction to be given please let me know, as well.

Tasks-Issue.jpg

6 Replies 6
Advisor

In that screenshot with the activity history, Salesforce is doing exactly as it is intended to do which is to show all activity.  Personally speaking, I wouldn't recommend showing an email open because people can open an email multiple times.  It's typically a matter of an invisible pixel loading in the email. It may be better to only track emails sent and clicked which shows you 2 things: 1. whether it was received and 2. whether they interacted with it.

Occasional Contributor

We have the same issue now. HubSpot is pushing duplicate tasks to Salesforce. What was the resolution provided by HubSpot team to you guys?

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hello 

The solution to this is to turn off Salesforce Task Sync (in case if marketing is only using HubSpot.

Settings>Integrations>App>Salesfoce> Timeline sync > Salesforce task sync (Disable) if it is turned on. If

Salesforce Task Sync : Automatically creates a task in HubSpot when a task is created in Salesforce. So this loop repeats and unfortunately HubSpot doesn't have a solution for this.

0 Upvotes
HubSpot Product Team

Hey Sanka,

Sorry to hear you are having trouble with this too. Salesforce task sync does not have to be turned off to prevent duplicates as the integration will index a task that has synced to/from HubSpot/Salesforce so that once the task is created in the other system, it will continue to sync with it's source task and won't create another duplicate the next time it syncs.

If you continue to experience issues with this, please don't hesitate to reach out to our support team for further troubleshooting!

Kevin

New Contributor

Hi Kevin,

Do you have any documentation on the below? I'm a bit confused by your answer, as our sync is turned on, and it is most certainly creating duplicate records. I'm unclear how the system is indexing tasks (in the Hubspot environment). Our issue is stemming from the fact that when someone forwards an email on, and it is in turn opened, its creating a new record in the Salesforce production environment. My guess is that it's indexing the new record, and as a result syncing back to SF on both records (which shows as a duplicate). 

Thanks.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
HubSpot Product Team

Hi @spencerm_pi,

We don't have any documentation on indexing specifically but essentially, if a timeline engagement is created in HubSpot and syncs to Salesforce, the integration will remember that association so if a task is updated in Salesforce, it will not sync back to HubSpot and create an additional timeline engagement, it will update the existing engagement. This logic works in the other direction as well.

Email opens are different in that we count each open event as a spearate event, even though they are respsented on the timeline under the same email engagement. Each email open will produce a new task in Salesforce but that task will not sync back to HubSpot and create a new spearate engagement.

If you are seeing something contrary to this, definitely let our support team know as they have the troubleshooting resources to dive in further and figure out what is happening!

Kevin