Marketing Integrations

BreBush
Participant

Saleforce as source of truth on Account ownership

SOLVE

My company uses Salesforce as the source of truth for Account ownership. Our intent is to sync Salesforce Account Owner to HubSpot Company Owner, and then flow Company Owner down to Contact Owner (in HubSpot). Problem is: The sync for HubSpot Company Owner to Salesforce Account Owner (Owner ID) can only go two-way???

I've seen other posts say "just don't update the Company Owner field in HubSpot, and you'll be fine." Which I guess works if I'm the only one in our CRM ever... except I'm not. Under no circumstances can we allow HubSpot the ability to overwrite any of the "owner" fields. Is there no way to accomplish this?

I tried creating a custom user property in HubSpot (called "SFDC Account Owner") in an attempt to sync Owner ID to that field, then copy that value into Company Owner... but of course, you can't do that either. It seems like you can't map Owner ID to ANY other property in HubSpot.

What are my options here? It feels like I'm SOL, but I have to imagine I'm not the only one with this problem.

1 Accepted solution
TrujayJay
Solution
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hi @BreBush ! I agree with the recommendation not to update the Owner in HubSpot and only allow the sync to update the field.

To assist with this, I'd suggest changing the field permissions to the following:
Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 2.14.32 PM.png

To allow all users to view, but not edit the property's value on a record, select Allow everyone to view. Super admins will be the only users allowed to edit the property's value. Unless you have a lot of Super Admins, you should be protected here.

The other method - which I would not recommend - would be to turn off the sync for Owners. Then you'd create custom fields in both systems, copy the SFDC owner to the SFDC custom field, sync that to HubSpot's custom field, and use a workflow to set the ownership in HubSpot. It won't be easy to maintain because you'll have to modify the logic every time a new owner is added to the company. Again, I wouldn't recommend it, but it's an option.

There's one other option I can think of: If you have Ops Hub, the owner's email address from SFDC could be synced to HubSpot, and you could custom-code a workflow to set the ownership based on an email address match. If you're interested, please reach out; we'll be happy to code this for you.

Trujay | Noah Hendricks

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
TrujayJay
Solution

SOLVE

Hi @BreBush ! I agree with the recommendation not to update the Owner in HubSpot and only allow the sync to update the field.

To assist with this, I'd suggest changing the field permissions to the following:
Screen Shot 2023-02-24 at 2.14.32 PM.png

To allow all users to view, but not edit the property's value on a record, select Allow everyone to view. Super admins will be the only users allowed to edit the property's value. Unless you have a lot of Super Admins, you should be protected here.

The other method - which I would not recommend - would be to turn off the sync for Owners. Then you'd create custom fields in both systems, copy the SFDC owner to the SFDC custom field, sync that to HubSpot's custom field, and use a workflow to set the ownership in HubSpot. It won't be easy to maintain because you'll have to modify the logic every time a new owner is added to the company. Again, I wouldn't recommend it, but it's an option.

There's one other option I can think of: If you have Ops Hub, the owner's email address from SFDC could be synced to HubSpot, and you could custom-code a workflow to set the ownership based on an email address match. If you're interested, please reach out; we'll be happy to code this for you.

Trujay | Noah Hendricks
BreBush
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks for this, Jay! The property permissions is a good compromise. Do you know if there's a way to further "lock" the property so that it can't even be changed accidentally by a workflow? We're in the midst of cleaning up historical workflows that are all over the place.

0 Upvotes
Aakar
Key Advisor

SOLVE

@BreBush Do you have the default owner (value) in HubSpot?

Aakar Anil
Marketing Technologist
aakar.me | @aakarpost | in/aakarpost
kvlschaefer
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @BreBush,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community!

This a great question 🙂

I would like to invite our subject matter experts to see if they have any advice.

Hi @LaurenRyan@TrujayJay@Aakar - Do you have any recommendations for @BreBush?

Thank you!

Best,

Kristen

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !