Marketing Integrations

hwilson74

Need the contact owner field to only sync from SF into HS (1 way sync, not two way)

SOLVE

Hi there,

We have a situation where our sales personnel tend to move around a lot, and their contacts need to be reassigned.  We use Salesforce as our main CRM.  We would expect that if we change the contact owner in SF, that the integration would also change that ownership in HS with the correct mapping.  But, we only see a two-way sync as an option.  And HubSpot seems to be overwriting Salesforce with incorrect contact owners.

I am not the admin for our Salesforce instance... I am however the HubSpot admin, and this is creating quite the mess whenever we need to do a targeted email to a particular sales person's contacts - we have to pull lists from Salesforce and upload into HubSpot, because the contact owner isn't up to date.

Any thoughts here?  Why is there no option to make this a 1 way sync?  Is there a workaround?

TIA

1 Accepted solution
daviddoughty
Solution
Contributor | Platinum Partner

Need the contact owner field to only sync from SF into HS (1 way sync, not two way)

SOLVE

That's actually a tricky question. If you make any changes in HubSpot, they will be synced over to SFDC, so if you wipe the account owner in HubSpot, it will delete the contact owner in SFDC.

What you need to do is update everything in SFDC to what you want it to be in HubSpot and let it sync over those changes - OR- you can download all the contacts and manually add all account owners to the contacts they are suppose to be and reupload the list overwriting the changes with the new chagnes. That will then sync over to SFDC too.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
daviddoughty

SOLVE

Hi I apologize for not getting to your question sooner.

What I had to do with one of my clients in your exact situation is do a mass export of all HubSpot fields that are synced to a SFDC field. Then I manually go through each field in Excel and highlight all the fields that I do not want HubSpot to update in SFDC.

After that, I go into HubSpot Settings, under the "Integrations" > "Connected apps" and select the Salesforce app.

Then I go to each mapping that I've highlighted and edit the mapping and select "Always use Salesforce" and save.

It is a tedious process but it has worked really well for my client. That way any marketing related elements like lead scoring and email metrics can still be seen in SFDC and are updated accordingly, but any sales related processes including ownership are only synced over from SFDC.

I hope this is helpful.

David Doughty

Digital Marketing Manager

marsdenmarketing.com

hwilson74

SOLVE

This is exactly what we would love to do, but for this particular field, we only see two way sync as an option... or not syncing at all... and unfortunately, that's what we have it toggled to right now.  I'm not understanding why "Always Use Salesforce" isn't an option to choose.

0 Upvotes
daviddoughty

SOLVE
Yeah, the HubSpot Owner when synced to the SFDC Owner ID is only a two-way sync, but the way we get around that is by not assigning owners in HubSpot ever. The BDRs take any lead that is qualified and assigns it to a sales team lead who then assigns the contact in SFDC. This always syncs back to HubSpot without any issue. We had to create a process document that says to anyone on the HubSpot side to not update the contact owner from HubSpot's side. The only exception was for any lead not assigned a contact we assign them to the BDR lead. That way every lead that comes in has a starting contact owner.
0 Upvotes
hwilson74

SOLVE

Okay - I think that make sense to me.  So in the event of a contact ownership change... The logic would be:

• Contact 1 is in SF with John Smith as the contact owner... this has already previously pushed into HS
  • Our admin updates SF with contact 1's new owner Bob Jones
  • This then pushes into HS immediately and HS changes to Bob Jones as well

Is there ever an issues that HS still has John Smith, and overwrites Bob Jones in SF before SF has initiated the change in HS?  Or does the change in SF immediately force the change in HS, and closes the loop on the non-matching info?

Also - for a new contact getting added to HubSpot - I assume you can stipulate that the account record is created with NO OWNER?

Thanks for all of this help... it is much appreciated!

0 Upvotes
daviddoughty

SOLVE

The logic you worked through is correct. The way the two-way sync works is that it always looks to the to the date of change and use the latest change and updates the other. I have found that it works better when making the changes in SFDC than HS, but it's more for keeping things clean in the process.

And to answer your question, no I have not seen HubSpot overwrite the changes you just made in SFDC. It may take up to 15 minutes to see the changes reflected or you can manually go into a contact and force the sync.

Yes, new contacts in HubSpot will state that they have no owner and is ok to upload contacts without one.

Have a great day!

David Doughty

Digital Marketing Manager

marsdenmarketing.com 

0 Upvotes
hwilson74

SOLVE

This is great.  

Last question - I assume that when you export out of HS all contacts with all fields as mentioned in your first response, you then wipe out the field data that you only want coming from SF and reupload to get the potentially "bad data" out of the record and start fresh?  Is that how we can remove the currect "account owner" info to allow the proper info to sync from SF?

Thank you!

0 Upvotes
daviddoughty
Solution

SOLVE

That's actually a tricky question. If you make any changes in HubSpot, they will be synced over to SFDC, so if you wipe the account owner in HubSpot, it will delete the contact owner in SFDC.

What you need to do is update everything in SFDC to what you want it to be in HubSpot and let it sync over those changes - OR- you can download all the contacts and manually add all account owners to the contacts they are suppose to be and reupload the list overwriting the changes with the new chagnes. That will then sync over to SFDC too.

AshliHeim
Participant

SOLVE

If there are no contact owners listed in HubSpot before you turn on the sync between HubSpot Contact Owner and Owner ID will that sync over all owners from SF -> HS, and not delete/wipe the owner in SF? I created a list to check curren contact owners and used the filter "Contact owner is known" and it's resulting in 0 contacts on that list. I'm wanting to sync HubSpot Contact Owner and SF Owner ID - Salesforce is the single source of truth so I don't want to overwrite ANYTHING in SF. Also do all salesforce users have to be hubspot users in order to sync over that information? 

0 Upvotes
JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

SOLVE

Hi @hwilson74,

Thanks for reaching out.

I want to tag in some thoughtleaders to see if he can provide any further clarity.

Hi @AdamJP @daviddoughty @Chrisirwin do you have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Jess

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

0 Upvotes