Marketing Integrations

kbhodgins
Participant

HubSpot and WordPress.com sites - HubSpot support documentation should be updated

SOLVE

Hi there!

I'm a Happiness Engineer over at WordPress.com. We've noticed that there is some verbiage in the HubSpot support documentation which states it is not possible to use HubSpot with WordPress.com sites:

"Your website or blog must be using a WordPress.org install. The tracking code plugin cannot be installed on WordPress.com sites, as they do not allow plugins or JavaScript."

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/integrations/install-the-hubspot-wordpress-plugin

"Please note: if your website is hosted on wordpress.com, you will not be able to add the HubSpot tracking code to your website. WordPress does not allow users to add any JavaScript code to wordpress.com sites because it is a shared environment."

https://knowledge.hubspot.com/articles/kcs_article/reports/install-the-hubspot-tracking-code

There might be other references that I missed, too.

As of 2017, this information is out of date. Anyone who has a Business plan on WordPress.com has the ability to install plugins and use JavaScript on their site. A WordPress.com site on the Business plan functions exactly the same as a self-hosted WordPress site. So as a result, we've had a number of users who are confused, thinking they are not able to use HubSpot on their WordPress.com site, even though they have the Business plan.

If this support documentation could be updated to say it's only possible on the WordPress.com Business plan instead, that would be much appreciated!

I was directed to post here after reaching out via live chat. If there's a better place or person for me to reach out to about this, please let me know.

1 Accepted solution
CasperOng
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

HubSpot and WordPress.com sites - HubSpot support documentation should be updated

SOLVE

Hi Kelly,

I'm Casper from the HubSpot technical writer team. Thank you so much for pointing these instances out; it's great to know that the WordPress.com Business plan allows for plugins and JavaScript and that allows usage of the HubSpot plugin. I've updated both articles:

Hope this helps! I'll also be doing a quick pass through for other mentions of "WordPress.com" through our articles to see if there are any others that require updating. Let me know if you've any further feedback on the above updates on the technical aspects of WordPress.com!

Best,

Casper

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5
Phil_Vallender
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner
Most Valuable Member | Diamond Partner

SOLVE

@jennysowyrda - this is one for you I think. 

Cheers, Phil.

Phil Vallender | HubSpot Website Agency
jennysowyrda
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Thanks for the ping @Phil_Vallender!

And thank you for the information @kbhodgins! I have reached out to our tech writer team and informed them of this. 

Thanks,

Jenny

kbhodgins
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks Jenny, I appreciate it! 🙂

Kellie

0 Upvotes
CasperOng
Solution
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi Kelly,

I'm Casper from the HubSpot technical writer team. Thank you so much for pointing these instances out; it's great to know that the WordPress.com Business plan allows for plugins and JavaScript and that allows usage of the HubSpot plugin. I've updated both articles:

Hope this helps! I'll also be doing a quick pass through for other mentions of "WordPress.com" through our articles to see if there are any others that require updating. Let me know if you've any further feedback on the above updates on the technical aspects of WordPress.com!

Best,

Casper

kbhodgins
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks so much, Casper! That verbiage looks great to me. 

0 Upvotes