Marketing Integrations

jackcoldrick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

HubSpot Native Shopify Integration 101: How data syncs from Shopify to HubSpot

resolver

shopify-hubspot-101-week-2.png

Hello all,

Welcome to the second in a series of videos focusing on the native integration Hubspot provides with Shopify. In the last post I spoke about "How to setup the shopify integration". In this post I'm going to concentrate on how data syncs between the systems once the integration is in place. Check out the video below for more information:

Check out this Video!

I've also included some useful FAQ that should help you to better understand how the data syncs and what to expect from the integration. 

1) Is the integration bi-directional?

No, the integration is unidirectional/one way. In otherwords data is only ever going to sync from Shopify to HubSpot and not the other way around. This is intentional. If you think about it, the data stored within Shopify is transactional data that should never be updated from any other source. You are certainlly free to modify the data in HubSpot once it syncs but it won't be reflected in Shopify.

2) What data syncs from Shopify to HubSpot?

The table below represents the data that syncs from Shopify to HubSpot:

Shopify  HubSpot HubSpot Properties
Products Products Title, Body_HTML, Created at, Handle, Images, Product type, Published at, Published scope, Tags, Vendor, Price

Customers Contacts Accepts marketing, Created at, First name, Last name, Email, Phone, Note, Orders count, Tags, Tax exempt (checkbox), Verified email (checkbox), Street address, City, Country, State/Province, Zip code

Orders Deals Abandoned checkout URL, Buyer accepts marketing, Customer ID, Cancel reason, Cart token, Cancelled at, Created at, Currency, Financial status, Fulfillment status, Landing site, Name, Note, Order number, Processing method, Referring site, Source name, Subtotal price, Taxes included, Token, Total discounts, Total line items price, Total price, Total tax, Total weight

3) Does the integration support custom properties/metafields?

No, the integration only supports the properties listed in the table above. Custom properties in Shopify are known as metafields. You can use Shopify metafields to add custom fields to objects such as products, customers, and orders. Metafields are useful for storing specialized information, such as part numbers, customer titles, or blog post summaries. Creating and working with metafields requires you to use a third part Shopify app or their API. More information on that can be found here.

4) Can I control what data syncs into HubSpot from Shopify?

No, the integration will sync over data as it is created in Shopify. For example an Order will be created as a Deal. A customer will be created as a Contact. 

5) Why do the deals in my abandoned cart stage have no associated contacts?

This can happen if a visitor goes to the checkout page and does not enter any details. Additionally if they enter the details but do not click to "Continue to Shipping" no association will occur.  This is how Shopify works - An order and a customer are only created on the back end when the "Continue to Shipping" button is pressed.

5) How do deals move between the stages in the eCommerce pipeline?

The deal stage in HubSpot is influenced by the status of the order in Shopify. There are 6 pre-defined stages. Namely "Checkout Abandoned", "Checkout Pending", "Checkout Complete", "Processed", "Shipped" and "Cancelled".

• When someone reaches the checkout page of Shopify a deal is created in hte "Checkout Pending" stage.
  • If a deal has been in the "Checkout Pending" stage for 24 hours it will move into the "Checkout Abandoned" stage. 
  • If an order is completed and payment is captured a deal will move to the "Processed" stage.
  • When an order is fulfilled a deal will move to the "Shipped" stage.
  • If an order is cancelled a deal will move to the "Cancelled" stage.

I hope that this video has helped you to better understand what data syncs from Shopify to HubSpot and what needs to happen in order to trigger that sync. More information on how to use the integration can be found here.

If you've any questions please do not hestiate to comment below. I'm more than happy to help however I can! 

sprocket-web-color.pngHappy HubSpotting!

Jack Coldrick
Solutions Engineer @ HubSpot
Add me on LinkedIn
1 Solução aceita
jackcoldrick
Solução
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

resolver

To anyone reading this the integration now has BETA support for bidirectional/two way sync for Customers (Shopify) and Contacts (HubSpot). More info here: https://knowledge.hubspot.com/integrations/use-two-way-contact-sync-with-shopify-beta

Jack Coldrick
Add me on LinkedIn

Exibir solução no post original

25 Respostas 25
jjayaraman4
Membro

resolver

@jackcoldrick - I have a few questions. 

When can I expect my deal to go to checkout completed stage ?   

Also,  I am unable to understand how I can send out emails to a customer who has added to cart but has not entered his email id yet (is he still not a visitor ? ). Why is a deal created for that instance & how can I leverage the same in my workflow?

Also when a deal moves , the name changes .  This is a little confusing for me. Can I avoid this.

I am looking at setting up this integration for a friend who owns an online clothing store.

CUrsu1
Colaborador(a) | Parceiro Elite
Colaborador(a) | Parceiro Elite

resolver

Hi @jjayaraman4 ,

checkout completed is just a intermediary step -Processed is the corresponding to Paid orders in Shopify.

Unfortunately you can't send emails to customers that added to cart but did not get to enter their details (email), the deals created like that are just noise - I think that the recommandation is to delete periodically.

You can reach these people with retargeted advertising - build an audience of visitors that added to the cart but did not purchase. 

For more integration options you can have a look at Unific, https://www.unific.com?afmc=38&utm_campaign=38&utm_source=leaddyno&utm_medium=affiliate

0 Avaliação positiva
shrumdidly
Participante

resolver

I still don't understand what Checkout Completed is for. "just an intermediary step" what is the business use case for this stage, and are there any special considerations given to it similar to the Checkout Pending > Checkout Abandoned automatic movement...

0 Avaliação positiva
ehulstein
Participante | Parceiro Diamante
Participante | Parceiro Diamante

resolver

Thanks, Jack.

Any thoughts on what could be causing this and/or what we could look into to get this fixed --

"We're seeing an issue where contacts created via the API are having their email addresses updated (by updated I mean that an additional email address is added) on the Contact Record via a Form Submission. The problem is, the email address added to the Contact Record is actually an email address for another employee at the company (not yet created as a contact in HubSpot)."

0 Avaliação positiva
jackcoldrick
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

resolver

Hi @ehulstein, based on the below paragraph am I right in assuming these form submissions are forms that exist on the Shopify side and are not part of the checkout process? (Sign up for a newsletter etc...) 

I wonder if in this instance the "non-hubspot" forms option is enabled on the portal and as a result any submissions occurring on Shopify forms are resulting in cookied contacts being updated. 

"We're seeing an issue where contacts created via the API are having their email addresses updated (by updated I mean that an additional email address is added) on the Contact Record via a Form Submission. The problem is, the email address added to the Contact Record is actually an email address for another employee at the company (not yet created as a contact in HubSpot)."

Jack Coldrick
Add me on LinkedIn
0 Avaliação positiva