Marketing Integrations

engliew

How to prevent a record sync in Salesforce.com while editing?

SOLVE

When data is synced to Salesforce.com while I am editing a contact or lead, I am unable to save the record. It gives me the error "Your changes cannot be saved".

Is there a way where Hubspot sync somehow detects a user is editing the contact or lead and does not sync until the next cycle?

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

You're correct that there's collision detection going on, but it works the opposite way you're expecting: https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=000006771&type=1

When a record is about to be saved, Salesforce checks to see if it's being edited by any other users or integrations. If the record is being actively edited elsewhere - like with the integration with HubSpot - then the error you're describing throws. 

What's not possible is to configure the collision detection. It simply fires when you're about to save changes, and will only let you know if some other entity is editing the record. There's no option to delay or stagger the order in which updates will save. 

As a best practice, if you have any integrations like HubSpot (with the potential to make many updates daily), minimize the amount of time you have the edit screen open on the Salesforce record. This kind of error shouldn't throw often on its own, but only being on the edit screen to make the necessary edits should reduce the number of times you encounter this. 

Sometimes, these kinds of collisions are unavoidable. We're using a dialer app in Salesforce to make calls for us, and it pushes updates behind the scenes every 30 minutes. We encounter these collision errors frequently. As a result, we've had to modify behavior to save notes on "long" calls in a text editor, then copy them over to the app after the call is complete.

You may have to modify your record-editing behaviors if there are lots of integrations or users trying to edit at any given time, but that's sort of a final step. There won't be any programmatic ways to smartly avoid collisions. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

You're correct that there's collision detection going on, but it works the opposite way you're expecting: https://help.salesforce.com/articleView?id=000006771&type=1

When a record is about to be saved, Salesforce checks to see if it's being edited by any other users or integrations. If the record is being actively edited elsewhere - like with the integration with HubSpot - then the error you're describing throws. 

What's not possible is to configure the collision detection. It simply fires when you're about to save changes, and will only let you know if some other entity is editing the record. There's no option to delay or stagger the order in which updates will save. 

As a best practice, if you have any integrations like HubSpot (with the potential to make many updates daily), minimize the amount of time you have the edit screen open on the Salesforce record. This kind of error shouldn't throw often on its own, but only being on the edit screen to make the necessary edits should reduce the number of times you encounter this. 

Sometimes, these kinds of collisions are unavoidable. We're using a dialer app in Salesforce to make calls for us, and it pushes updates behind the scenes every 30 minutes. We encounter these collision errors frequently. As a result, we've had to modify behavior to save notes on "long" calls in a text editor, then copy them over to the app after the call is complete.

You may have to modify your record-editing behaviors if there are lots of integrations or users trying to edit at any given time, but that's sort of a final step. There won't be any programmatic ways to smartly avoid collisions. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.