Marketing Integrations

surmacki
Contributor

How to link SurveyMonkey survey with contact which filled-out the the survey initiated from an email

Together with my customer, we are trying to integrate SurveyMonkey into our HubSpot workflow, but we're unable to do this in any meaningful way. We want to include a survey link in one of the automated emails sent to the contact and get the survey answers back into HubSpot. But HubSpot just cannot simply link answered survey with the contact that submitted it, without the surveyed person providing his email address manually in the survey field.

But this is not an acceptable solution for us. We already know our customer email address (he gave it to us 5 minutes ago in a form on a landing page). We've just sent the survey link to that email. A solution that requires asking that customer for his email again is something we want to avoid to make our customers life more comfortable. 

AFAIK there are four different ways to integrate HubSpot with SurveyMonkey. Each broken by either HubSpot or SurveyMonkey decisions, which is very frustrating considering the price we pay for HubSpot.

1. The first option is to create "web link collector" in SurveyMonkey and include that link in the HubSpot email body. But HubSpot cannot sync the answers back into contact activity history without asking the user for his email again in the survey;

2. There is "custom variable" feature in SurveyMonkey, and we can personalise emails in HubSpot so that we can create links like surveymonkey.com/asdf/?email={{contact.email}}. SurveyMonkey saves this information along with other answers, but HubSpot ignores it. HubSpot doesn't seem to use that "custom variable" field to find the matching contact for an unknown reason.

3. There are "email collectors" in SurveyMonkey which make the survey answers appear automatically in the matching HubSpot contact activity history. Still, those emails have to be sent from SurveyMonkey, not from HubSpot. It breaks our workflow setup because HubSpot can't automatically trigger SurveyMonkey email collector from the workflow. 

4. We could even accept the solution where we ask for the email address again in the survey - but when we provide that value via "custom variable" in SurveyMonkey URL, we would like the email field in the survey to be pre-populated with that value. But it's not.

The ideal solution would be to make HubSpot not ignoring the custom variable answer if it's called "email" and contains "email" and make HubSpot use that "hidden" survey answer to find the matching contact. 

Other solutions are perhaps acceptable too, except the ones where we ask our users for their email, a minute after we've collected their email on a web form and send them the survey to it.

The other solution could be using something else than SurveyMonkey but our survey structure is pretty complicated, so any simple satisfaction measuring tool is not an option.
8 Replies 8
sethnenstiel
Contributor

How to link SurveyMonkey survey with contact which filled-out the the survey initiated from an email

There appear to be two solutions that I've ideated.

One is to move from Survey Monkey to Hubspot to do your surveying.  This is idea of NPS / CSAT surveys, but not for much more (at least in my head) as you have to create properties in which to store the survey data. Unfortunately, this requires a Service Hub subscription to do the NPS and CSAT well. You wouldn't need Service Hub to do regular surveying, it's just manual.

The second is to buy an upgraded Survey Monkey account that allows you to pass information into your questions using the Custom Variables. Unfortunately, this starts at around $2,700 a year for the business level.

I agree – this needs a better solution.

NathanielMaymon
Participant

@sethnenstiel Do you know how to do the second option provided we have that kind of account?

For the life of me I can't seem to find the way to pass info into questions...

0 Upvotes
sethnenstiel
Contributor

Nathaniel – you'll need to use URL parameters to pass info to Survey Monkey out of Hubspot CRM. I think Survey Monkey calls them Custom Variables. Check out the Knowledge Base article here - https://help.surveymonkey.com/articles/en_US/kb/What-are-custom-variables-and-how-do-I-use-them

Jestner
Participant

@sethnenstiel would love to know more about your experience with these options. 

@sethnenstiel wrote:

Nathaniel – you'll need to use URL parameters to pass info to Survey Monkey out of Hubspot CRM. I think Survey Monkey calls them Custom Variables. Check out the Knowledge Base article here - https://help.surveymonkey.com/articles/en_US/kb/What-are-custom-variables-and-how-do-I-use-them

To my knowledge, Hubspot does not provide an option to send Hubspot surveys within a custom email. Surveys are embedded in emails, not linked to within an email. I would be delighted if I'm wrong about this, so please let me know.

@sethnenstiel wrote:

Per the OP this option doesn't sync the submission with a Hubspot record. "SurveyMonkey saves this information along with other answers, but HubSpot ignores it. HubSpot doesn't seem to use that 'custom variable' field to find the matching contact for an unknown reason."

We are very frustrated by Hubspot's inability to recognize email address when it's included in a web link. Hoping Hubspot fixes that issue soon! Being able to include SurveyMonkey surveys in emails sent via workflows and sequences would be a massive game-changer for us.

Pre1
Participant

We need a solution! There has to be a way to pass email to Survey Monkey/ pre-populated for the survey or somehow generate a unique link a list imported from HS.

PThomas
Participant

We just integrated SurveyMonkey and are having the same issue.

0 Upvotes
johanvdc
Contributor | Diamond Partner
Contributor | Diamond Partner

Fully agree. Clunky right now.

JessicaH
HubSpot Alumni
HubSpot Alumni

Hi @surmacki,

Thanks for sharing!

Wusstest du, dass es auch eine DACH-Community gibt?
Nimm an regionalen Unterhaltungen teil, in dem du deine Spracheinstellungen änderst !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !