Marketing Integrations

lesliebartels
Contributor

How is your org using the HubSpot <> Salesforce sync?

SOLVE

Hi HS community!

My org is new to HubSpot and is only lightly using Salesforce. My question to you is....

How is your org using the data sent from HubSpot to Salesforce? Do you have a use case beyond displaying the HubSpot score through the Visualforce window?

I ask because, we're exploring using the sync to manage customer communication. Here is our current state...Visitor submits comment/question through HubSpot form. Form submission is stored in HubSpot comment property. HubSpot contact is created as new lead in Salesforce. Salesforce workflow sends notification to sales team member based on country. Sales team member then reaches out to visitor through Salesforce interface. Sales closes lead after follow-up communication has been sent.

The snag is...if the visitor submits the HubSpot form a second time, HS won't send the contact over as a new Salesforce lead.

Any thoughts on this? Is this approach insane? 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

The use case I am hearing from you is support.  In that instance, I would have your form trigger a service ticket in Hubspot (if you have service hub), or the service cloud of Salesforce rather than a form submission to lead creation only.  The issue that will present itself in your case is that you will lose history every time the comments are overwritten and you won't have an archive to know what is happening with the customer.  If you don't want to use Hubspot or Salesforce for this task there are plenty of online ticketing platforms to help get this job done.

With regards to your second question about Salesforce leads, this is an area that is always debated. In the Salesforce world, everyone starts as a lead, with the potential for duplicates, and then gets converted to a contact with an account when they are managed and reach a certain threshold when they are qualified enough to warrant responses and a potential for sales. However, in most of the world, throwing away the data of duplicate leads or leaving it disconnected is not a good approach either. So what normally happens with these systems is that the existing leads are updated as you elude to, and no new duplicate is created. The problem you are experiencing is that it sounds as though your Salesforce queues are setup to look for new leads and not new lead activity. So in this instance, you would want to work with your Salesforce admin(s) to evaluate other ways to define queues such that the activity, or state of the lead/contact, is what triggers someone to be followed up with from the queue and not the creation date.

My recommendation to you would be to sit down with your CRM admins and evaluate the flow from start to finish and evaluate opportunities for optimization of the customer journey to see where improvements can be made as the changes you are moving towards will be intensive and likely tested in a Salesforce sandbox prior to any development being done in a live environment.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

The use case I am hearing from you is support.  In that instance, I would have your form trigger a service ticket in Hubspot (if you have service hub), or the service cloud of Salesforce rather than a form submission to lead creation only.  The issue that will present itself in your case is that you will lose history every time the comments are overwritten and you won't have an archive to know what is happening with the customer.  If you don't want to use Hubspot or Salesforce for this task there are plenty of online ticketing platforms to help get this job done.

With regards to your second question about Salesforce leads, this is an area that is always debated. In the Salesforce world, everyone starts as a lead, with the potential for duplicates, and then gets converted to a contact with an account when they are managed and reach a certain threshold when they are qualified enough to warrant responses and a potential for sales. However, in most of the world, throwing away the data of duplicate leads or leaving it disconnected is not a good approach either. So what normally happens with these systems is that the existing leads are updated as you elude to, and no new duplicate is created. The problem you are experiencing is that it sounds as though your Salesforce queues are setup to look for new leads and not new lead activity. So in this instance, you would want to work with your Salesforce admin(s) to evaluate other ways to define queues such that the activity, or state of the lead/contact, is what triggers someone to be followed up with from the queue and not the creation date.

My recommendation to you would be to sit down with your CRM admins and evaluate the flow from start to finish and evaluate opportunities for optimization of the customer journey to see where improvements can be made as the changes you are moving towards will be intensive and likely tested in a Salesforce sandbox prior to any development being done in a live environment.

lesliebartels
Contributor

SOLVE

This is really helpful. Thank you!

It doesn't look like my plan will accommodate for creating a service ticket, however, it DOES look like creating a Salesforce Task is an option. I'm going to explore that next.

Leslie

0 Upvotes