filter contacts by import list?

Occasional Contributor

Hey there, I used a few different CSV files to import my contacts. I am wondering if there is a way to filter my contacts based on which list they were imported from? 

10 Replies 10
Regular Contributor

When you import a CSV, HubSpot automatically creates a static list titled by the CSV title.

You can create a filter by using the "List Membership" field and selecting the CSV list.

You can find more info at the bottom of this article.

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hey Cameron, thanks for the reply! But I don't see that list membership option anywhere... Where exactly is it? I tried searching in the list of filters but there is no such property... am I missing something? Here is a screenshot:

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 8.20.46 PM.png

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hey ivantheeditor,

You may not be able to see List Membership due to your permissions.

Have a look to see if you have "Lists" enabled for you in Permissions.

I just tried to replicate your attached image and I could find it (below).

Capture.PNG

Hope this helps!

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

But I'm the only user and I'm the super admin:

Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 10.41.55 PM.png

HubSpot says super admins have access to everything...

Could it be something else?

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Hmm, unsure on that one.

Another way you could find this list would be to filter by "Original Source drill-down"

Under "Web Analytics History", you can find drill-down 1 and 2 telling you where the contact originated from

Capture.PNG

On the Contacts homepage, try to filter by- 'Original Source drill-down 1' contains 'IMPORT'.

This should give you a list of all those who you have imported.

See if you can use the Drill-down 2 to identify which list they were imported from.

Hope this helps

0 Upvotes
Occasional Contributor

Hey Cameron, thanks again for your help! I tried that and unfortunatelly that didn't work either. 

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 3.43.21 PM.png

However, I know for a fact that I have many contacts that meet both of those filter criteria. Example:

Screen Shot 2018-02-26 at 3.46.00 PM.pngI'm either missing something or something isn't working quite right with the HubSpot software.

Any other ideas? I'd really appreciate it. 

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Hey ivantheeditor,

I couldn't get 'drill-down 2' to work myself, however when I used only 'drill-down 1' set to "IMPORT", it worked.

If you can try to just use "Drill-down 1", that could work.

The problem with that is, it won't separate the different import lists, rather listing them all as one grouping.

I can't think why this or filtering by "List Membership" hasn't worked. Maybe someone else might know.

Other than that, I'm out of ideas!

Occasional Contributor

No problem. Thanks, Cameron! I appreciate your help!

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

Late contribution to this thread, but it pushed me along and I'm hoping I can finish it out.

The contact property Original source drill-down 1 is equal to IMPORT.

The contact property Original source drill-down 2 contains 4169290.

For the drill-down 2, it's not referencing the import filename, it's referencing the import ID as it was processed. 

I'm sure there's a better way, but the easiest way I found to get this is:

• Click the "view contacts" link on the import history screen.
  • When the list filter comes up, you will see "Import is any of NAME OF IMPORT". Click the name of the import in that filter block and it will turn into the ID of the import. That number is the value to enter for source 2.

Hope this is repeatable and works for you.

0 Upvotes
Regular Contributor

And then I found out if you switch to the new list view that HubSpot published recently, the filters now include one where you can choose a specific import that the contact was used in. This will work for any import they are in, not just the original one.

list-import-hubspot-support.PNG

0 Upvotes