Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

rachelbjordan
Participant

Workflows assigning or removing MQL status

SOLVE

Hey, all. I've got workflows assigning or removing MQL status. But...they don't seem to be working consistently.

First off, I can see that HS doesn't allow contacts to be re-enrolled based on their score 😞

But, still, contacts aren't 100% getting enrolled when they hit the right score. And they're not losing MQL status when they fall below 100.

I've started manually turning the workflows on/off once a week to keep my week-to-week stats accurate. But there's got to be a better way.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Gotcha. NO. It gets better. Promise.

We see you're using a custom Lifecycle Stage. This could mean that you don't need to clear the property before setting to a new value as you would with HubSpot's default Lifecycle stage properties.

Regarding your 'Clear MQL status' workflow...

Build a list using those enrollment criteria, then make that LIST your enrollment AND RE-enrollment criteria.

Regarding your 'Set MQL status' workflow...

(same as above)

Regarding the HubSpot Score...

Contacts are only allowed to meet lead score criteria once. This means, they'd theoretically never score up again once being scored down unless they meet NEW criteria that adds to their score.
- see Set up score properties to qualify contacts

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
6 Replies 6
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Sounds like you've got a lot going on there. May be best to engage HubSpot Support directly unless you'd like to share screenshots of your WMDs (workflows of mass destruction). 😉

Regarding a couple of your statements ...
-1- "...workflows assigning or removing MQL status."
As you probably know, the only way to 'remove' MQL status is to CLEAR the property first.
Is this happening in your workflow(s)?

-2- "...HS doesn't allow contacts to be re-enrolled based on their score."
Correct (by design). If you need to re-enroll contacts, you'll want to use LIST MEMBERSHIP as your enrollment criteria. This opens up a whole new conversation around how to manage your 'scores' (using lists)!

-3- "...manually turning the workflows on/off ... to keep my week-to-week stats accurate." 😐
Firstly, you are not alone. We've seen this before and, "Yes. There is a better way." 🙂

HubSpot was designed to solve for this type of pain. In extremely rare use cases we (humans) need to manually manage workflows to achieve our goals. However, this is (should be) the exception. Hang in there. Help is on the way.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
rachelbjordan
Participant

SOLVE

Well...my HubSpot point of contact pointed me to my account rep who pointed me to a help article. So here I am in the Community hoping for answers. Next step is to try my luck with a phone call to HS support.

I do think my workflows are set up as you suggest. So maybe this is as good as it gets. 

When I checked today, I found several people with less than 100 points

Clear MQL statusClear MQL statusSet MQL statusSet MQL status

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Gotcha. NO. It gets better. Promise.

We see you're using a custom Lifecycle Stage. This could mean that you don't need to clear the property before setting to a new value as you would with HubSpot's default Lifecycle stage properties.

Regarding your 'Clear MQL status' workflow...

Build a list using those enrollment criteria, then make that LIST your enrollment AND RE-enrollment criteria.

Regarding your 'Set MQL status' workflow...

(same as above)

Regarding the HubSpot Score...

Contacts are only allowed to meet lead score criteria once. This means, they'd theoretically never score up again once being scored down unless they meet NEW criteria that adds to their score.
- see Set up score properties to qualify contacts

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
rachelbjordan
Participant

SOLVE

Super smart, Frank!

'Clear MQL status' workflow...list built, workflow updated, clicking refresh incessantly to see what happens 😉

'Set MQL status' workflow...same as above 

Our HS score might be overly complicated b/c we've placed time limits on some things -- like 'visited x pages in the last x days.' So ppl can lose MQL status but gain it back, w/o sales looking at stale MQLs. Your list fix corrects for that, I think.

Thanks! 

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Sorry. I should've specified with greater emphasis. The list 'fix' must use a SINGLE list as enrollment criteria in order for the same to work for RE-enrolls. Re-enrollment criteria forces a logical 'OR' when multiple lists are used as re-enrollment criteria. A fine point, but non-trivial.

We'll presume all is well if we see a viral video of you doing a HubSpot happy dance! haha 🙂

Good luck on your launch.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
rachelbjordan
Participant

SOLVE

Hmmm...it didn't even occur to me that multiple lists might be used for each workflow. So I think I got it right.

One list for people who are still at MQL even though they've dipped under 100, one list for people who hit 100+ but aren't tagged as MQL, and one list to rule them all. Wait.