Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

garystockton
Participant

Workflow to automatically opt-out competitors

SOLVE

I would like to automatically opt-out any person who has an email address ending in the domain of my primary competitors.  Is there an easy way to do this in Hubspot?

1 Accepted solution
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @garystockton. You won't be able to fully automate this, as it won't be possible to use a HubSpot workflow to set the email opt-out status - that property can't be manipulated via a workflow. (Alternately, if you're only looking for visibility of this use case going forward, a HubSpot workflow would be viable to notify an internal team when a new contact is created with this use case.)

Instead, it may be easier to build a smart list of people with competitors' email domains in their addresses, but are not opted-out. You can export this list periodically and import it back into HubSpot as opt-outs. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4
bradmin
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

Hi, @garystockton. You won't be able to fully automate this, as it won't be possible to use a HubSpot workflow to set the email opt-out status - that property can't be manipulated via a workflow. (Alternately, if you're only looking for visibility of this use case going forward, a HubSpot workflow would be viable to notify an internal team when a new contact is created with this use case.)

Instead, it may be easier to build a smart list of people with competitors' email domains in their addresses, but are not opted-out. You can export this list periodically and import it back into HubSpot as opt-outs. 

Brad Mampe, Salesforce Analyst, Fidelity
I'm probably wrong. I may not be right about that.
garystockton
Participant

SOLVE

I like your suggestion and will implement it that way. Cheers.

0 Upvotes
mbfolger
Participant

SOLVE

You can also block competitor email domains on the email field in forms too. This has been effective for keeping them out of our database. I also use a smart list that looks for email domain and company and keep a workflow running to set the lead status to trash, then add them to a master suppression list for emails and workflows.

qturner1
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @mbfolger do you mind sharing the process to do this? It looks to be beneficial for keeping competitors out.