Why does testing a workflow count against metrics?

Highlighted
Top Contributor

Doesn't testing really mean that you don't want any metrics associated to the workflow? I don't use the test function because of this. Does anyone have a better solution besides just testing the emails one by one?

5 Replies 5
Highlighted
HubSpot Product Team

Hey @spogue I don't fully understand your question. Could you clarify what you mean by 'count against metrics'?

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Top Contributor

Sending a contact through a workflow as a test counts against the performance stats. If its a test, why does it count? A test is a test, right? 

Screen Shot 2018-06-15 at 9.09.52 AM.png

Highlighted
HubSpot Product Team

I see - thank you for confirming!

I undertstand the confusion. I beleive it's not currently possible for HubSpot's system to recognise the actions and log the actions as a test. 

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Top Contributor

Right, I understand that. Its just confusing to call it a Test when it actually counts towards metrics. The solution is to then clone the Workflow for a fresh set of metrics but it seems like a lot of work to just want to test whether it works or not.

0 Upvotes
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I came here to comment on the same issue after running our first workflow. I don't understand why a test contact gets officially enrolled in the workflow and their engagement counts against the workflow metrics after the workflow is active. Nothing in the test process, whether email testing, workflow testing, etc. should ever count as real engagement. We share those metrics with stakeholders in our organization, and having the test metrics included means those metrics are not accurate and have to be recalculated. Since we test every piece of content we publish, repeatedly, this will always be an issue and our metrics will be skewed. I have never used a system that counted test metrics at all, and I hope HubSpot changes this.

0 Upvotes