Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

JoeDavies
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

Why Cant I Separate Hard & Soft Bounces?

SOLVE

Soft bounces still have value as future emails may make it though their spam filters, but I find it crazy that you cant make lists based on hard bounces (ie bad domain/mailbox etc) only. These could then be exported and re-uploaded as an opt-out list, then the system records deleted, to ensure they never re-entered via another list and so avoiding future mailing. 

This wouldnt be an issue if HubSpot didnt charge based on total contacts held, but rather on unique contacts mailed per month, as several other platforms do. For this reason hard bounces need to be deleted from the database, as they hold no value in the system. But, they cannot be separated out to do so, causing contacts with potential value to be chucked out with them.

Seems like an easy fix?

2 Accepted solutions
paxton
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

@lrosin, I think you are asking how to create a list of soft bounces specifically. If so see the below:

If you create a list of hard bounced contacts following my steps above and a list of all bounced contacts with Ed's initial comment. Then you can make a third list to isolate just the soft bounces with the criteria:

contact is a member of 'Emails Bounced > 0'

AND

contact is not a member of 'Whatever you named your list of hard bounces'

View solution in original post

paxton
Solution
HubSpot Product Team
HubSpot Product Team

SOLVE

Hi @JMoreau,

Previously hard bounced contacts will not be sent email in HubSpot. If they are included in your emails you will find them in the Not Sent category on the post-send page. You do not need to manually exclude contacts from future emails.

View solution in original post

24 Replies 24
JoeDavies

SOLVE

Hi @edjusten,

Thanks for taking the time to reply,

I had tested that option and it includes soft bounces, which obviously want to be kept in the system.

It needs to be able to differentiate explicitly between soft & hard bounces, so the hard bounces alone can be removed from the system

Thanks,

Joe

JoeDavies

SOLVE

Hi @jennysowyrda,

Thanks for this, would the list volume not then drop to zero? As hard bounces are dropped out of email sends due to previously bouncing?

Thanks,

Joe

0 Upvotes
JoeDavies

SOLVE

Hi @jennysowyrda,

Thanks for this, and I am seeing differing numbers when changing the number of bounces there, but could you explain to me why I am seeing this in my sends? Does it have a max hard bounce limit? the attached image made me assume that once hard bounced, the contact would not receive an email again? 

Thanks again.

Joe

Screen Shot on Sep 29th at 03-31 PM.png

0 Upvotes
lrosin
Contributor

SOLVE

With email server finickyness, this is really problematic. Our own team has had our emails soft bounce a number of times due to our company's use of mimecast. Has it always been HubSpot's policy to move a contact to a hard bounce after three soft bounces? I feel like that is not accurate from what I have experienced on our system... or it least it wasn't last year (is this new?)...

And why, for the love of Pete, are you saying this "problem" is solved. This is exactly why I don't participate in this portal. The problem is NOT SOLVED. The customer above wants to export a list of "HARD BOUNCE" emails to clean up the list. Your solution still lacks this ability. PROBLEM NOT SOLVED.