When Did My Property Value Update? [Keeping Track of Property Changes with Property History Values]
Jan 14, 2021 4:20 AM
In HubSpot, certain dates of change are automatically logged, such as the ‘Became a [lifecycle stage] date properties. This makes it easier to report on - for example, we can then look at the number of contacts that became MQLs or SQLs in a specific month.
However, most other properties don’t keep track of this date of change except in the details option of the property. New changes can be logged using a workflow, as outlined in this other community post.
That said, to retrieve the historical date records of existing properties, you can follow the steps here:
Part 1: Create Custom Date Property
- Follow the steps here to create a custom date property.
- You’ll want to create a date property that matches your original property’s record type. In this example, both properties are contact properties.
Part 2: Export Property History and Edit Export File
- Follow the steps here to export a property’s history across all records.
- Once the property history has been exported, filter and edit the excel sheet to pull the dates of the most recent updated values.
- Copy these dates, as well as the corresponding Object ID (Contact/Company/Deal/Ticket ID) into a new excel file (.csv or .xlsx) and save it. I’ve also copied the contact’s email addresses for easy identification.
- Set the column name to the label of the Custom Date property created in Part 1.
Part 3:Import these values into your portal
- Once the excel file has been set up, you can import these records back into HubSpot.
- Follow the steps here to import your file - you will want to import one file with one object type.
- During the import process, select the ‘Update object using ‘Object ID’ exported from HubSpot’ option to de-duplicate the Object and ensure that existing objects are updated and no duplicates are created.
The most recent date of change for this property will then be logged to your custom date property.
- This guide will only work for existing records, for property updates moving forward you can follow this other guide instead.
- All property history datetimes are are exported in UTC, but this is can be adjusted to your timezone in excel - here’s a handy guide on how to do so.