Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

JVenter

Use of email open (or clicked) states in workflows?

SOLVE

Is it possible to branch a workflow based on whether an email was 1) opened, and 2) link inside email clicked? Use case is where I'd like to send a different follow-up email depending on if 1) email was not opened, 2) email was opened but link not clicked, and 3) email opened and link clicked but customer still in this particular workflow.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JVenter,

Yes, you have all these options in workflow. Simply add an action by clicking the + sign, add an If/then branch and select Marketing emails. This is what a branch by email clicked y/n would look like:

karstenkoehler_0-1620745148239.png

As you can see in the sidebar, you have options for opened, clicked, received but not opened and opened but not clicked.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14
kkoeman

SOLVE

Yes-- I am looking for this functionality too.  I'd like to trigger a workflow when a contact interacts with (opens, clicks) a "non-marketing" email inside Hubspot.  Is this possible?

AEleuch
Participant

SOLVE

Hello,

Is it possible to have this triger but for "non marketing" e-mail, but random e-mail ?

Best,

karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @JVenter,

Yes, you have all these options in workflow. Simply add an action by clicking the + sign, add an If/then branch and select Marketing emails. This is what a branch by email clicked y/n would look like:

karstenkoehler_0-1620745148239.png

As you can see in the sidebar, you have options for opened, clicked, received but not opened and opened but not clicked.

Let me know if you have any follow-up questions!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

stephanderson
Participant

SOLVE

Is it possible to filter based on an automated email being opened or clicked (instead of a marketing email)? I have an email automation which is set to send an email 3 times (it's an operational email), but filter out folks who have already opened it. Or is there another way to accomplish this? 
Thanks!

0 Upvotes
SBlocq
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi Karsten,

With the new update in Hubspot this functionality disappeared. You can branch based on a single action outcome, however the action outcome is related to contact properties and not event properties. If you want to add extra data sources (email by activity), you can only chose for first created email, most recently created email or most recently updated email.

The only way to now do this for a specific email is via branch based on filter criteria.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @SBlocq,

The UI has changed a bit, yes, but everything's still there:

karstenkoehler_0-1696393181298.png

Karsten Köhler

denjones

SOLVE

Is this functionality still there? This is what is see when I type "Marketing email status"

denjones_0-1705073591776.png

0 Upvotes
NDaniels0823

SOLVE

Hello, is there a way to create branches using an email opened/clicked from the workflow (which doesn't allow marketing emails to enter)?

0 Upvotes
jk4milli

SOLVE

Hi Karsten,

Thank you for this response. I want to build a similar workflow, but I am not able to find 'Marketing Email Activity' as an option for the initial trigger. I've looked through all the left menu options, and I cannot find this anywhere. As per your example, I want to the enrollment trigger to be everyone who is sent a specific email, which in your example is email 1. (We have already created the email which I can see in our dashboard.)

Sincerely, Jamie

jleow
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hi @jk4milli, are you creating a contact-based workflow?

Generally, marketing email enrollment triggers and if/then criteria are used with contact-based workflows. If you've created a different workflow type, such as a deal-based workflow, you will not see this option. 

0 Upvotes
ATiwari246

SOLVE

I am facing the same problem. I have created contact based worflow but couldn't find Marketing Email Activity' as an option.

Help needed!

0 Upvotes
SBlocq
Contributor

SOLVE

Hi ATiwari246,

It's a bit more difficult to find, indeed.  Follow these steps:

1. When creating a workflow choose the action BRANCH

2. Then select BASED ON MATCHING FILTER CRITERIA

3. Give you first branch a name like EMAIL NAME OPENED

4. Click on ADD FILTER

5. Select MARKETING EMAILS 

6. Select the email you would like to track email opens

7. Then you can choose whether to base the action on email open/click/sent/unsubscribes

Hope this helps!

0 Upvotes
tlbrewer
Participant

SOLVE

Thank you SB, appreciate this. Just to be clear, number 6 on your list seems to suggest that a new workflow must be created for each and every single email blast that goes out, is that correct? 

0 Upvotes
KVereNicoll

SOLVE

Hello -- I don't have these same Action options in my workflow setup. Can you please advise!?