Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

Guna1

Updating Email Addresses inside Lists

SOLVE

Hi!

I have to clean HubSpot lists and update invalid email addresses. 

Let's say I have a list of Subscribers. I want to make sure there are no risky email addresses inside that list. 

I use Clearout to validate my Subscriber list and find that there are 15 invalid emails. 

I export the list and re-enrich it with the correct email addresses. 

Now I want to automatically update the email addresses inside my Subscriber list. 

I tried uploading the updated list as CSV hoping it's going to replace the wrong email addresses inside the HubSpot list. But instead, it created a brand new contact. 

Is there any way to go about this? 

The goal is basically to update the email address INSIDE a list via CSV as opposed to making changes manually on each and every contact. 

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

You have to export the records with the record ID and use that on the import as the identifier.  That is the only way that Hubspot will know you are replacing an email address with another. Otherwise it has no ID to use other than email for which it won't find a match for and then it will create a new record as you are seeing.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1
Ben_M
Solution
Key Advisor

SOLVE

You have to export the records with the record ID and use that on the import as the identifier.  That is the only way that Hubspot will know you are replacing an email address with another. Otherwise it has no ID to use other than email for which it won't find a match for and then it will create a new record as you are seeing.