Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

BethC

Updated Records from List Imports

SOLVE

When I do a List Import there are always some records that get updated.  And, we are finding that past detail for these contacts is being over ridden.  For example, notes from our inside sales team.

Are there settings in HS that can set a contact record to not override existing data from List imports?

Thank you,

Beth

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>"The only way to do this is to export all contact records from HubSpot, search for the duplicates and remove from the new list before I import ???"

Based on your description of your setup, 'yes'. btw - Excel will remove duplicates from a sheet in a few clicks. No 'searching for duplicates' involved.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
10 Replies 10
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

_hubspot-button-accept-as-solution-gif-v00.gif

Q: When I do a List Import there are always some records that get updated.  And, we are finding that past detail for these contacts is being over ridden.  For example, notes from our inside sales team.

Are there settings in HS that can set a contact record to not override existing data from List imports??

Short A: No. You'll need to de-dup against your production HubSpot CRM and remove existing records outside of HubSpot before importing.

Longer A:

n/a

Can't wait to see what we can help you build on HubSpot today.

Best,
Frank

Remote  B2B Digital Marketing Manager

hubspot-solutions-signature-mfrankjohnson-v05.png

MFrankJohnson.com | Connect on LinkedIn

Find posts quickly ... accept this solution now.

Note: Please search for recent posts as HubSpot evolves to be the #1 CRM platform of choice world-wide.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
BethC

SOLVE

Hi Frank,

Well, we are not using the HubSpot CRM, so is there another way to accomplish this?

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Sorry @BethC, I'm confused. Your original question clearly says, "... settings in HS ...".

Are you now asking how to configure a non-HubSpot CRM to accomplish your task? If not, please explain, so we may better assist.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
BethC

SOLVE

No, because we use Salesforce for our CRM.

We use HubSpot for our marketing automation.  I upload lists of people we meet at tradeshows, but there are usually a few contact records that are already in our database and get overridden when I upload a new list.

If the contact is already in our database, I don't want the original lead source to be overridden, or any other comments that are within that contact record.  How can I avoid this?

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>"No, because we use Salesforce for our CRM. We use HubSpot for our marketing automation."

This is fairly common.

That being said, HubSpot's CRM is a required core component for all HubSpot modules (including Marketing). You don't have to USE the HubSpot CRM, but it's still there.

Don't you sync your HubSpot CRM with Salesforce?

If so, the updates you see in HubSpot should be the result of updates made to Salesforce. 

Are you importing into HubSpot OR Salesforce?

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
BethC

SOLVE

We upload leads to HubSpot.

Right now, we don't have an automatic upload into salesforce, but we are working on setting this up.  This is another area where I have some questions.

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Thought Leader

SOLVE

Ok, so you're "uploading leads" (aka: importing) into HubSpot which currently is NOT sync'ed to Salesforce.

As originally stated, you'll need to remove existing records from your import file(s) before importing into HubSpot.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
BethC

SOLVE

Ok - well, that sounds like a daunting task.

The only way to do this is to export all contact records from HubSpot, search for the duplicates and remove from the new list before I import ???

0 Upvotes
MFrankJohnson
Solution
Thought Leader

SOLVE

>>"The only way to do this is to export all contact records from HubSpot, search for the duplicates and remove from the new list before I import ???"

Based on your description of your setup, 'yes'. btw - Excel will remove duplicates from a sheet in a few clicks. No 'searching for duplicates' involved.

Hope that helps.

Be well,
Frank

www.mfrankjohnson.com
0 Upvotes
BethC

SOLVE

OK - thank you.