Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

CateDuarte
Top Contributor | Elite Partner

Update fields based on monthly won deals

SOLVE

Hi, 

I have a customer that is looking to update a company field based on the volume of deals won in a specific time frame. 

I have created a caculated field to add the # Deals Won for each company. I am trying to build lists where I can play with the time ranges. The idea is to then run a Workflow that updates the field when a contact joins a specific list. 

My point here is that they want the calculation to be done begining of each month so for me its where it gets complicated.

Any ideas that could help? 

Tks!

Catarina 

Catarina Duarte

Senior Consultant | Periti Digital
Email: cduarte@peritidigital.com
0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
ChrisoKlepke
Solution
Key Advisor | Elite Partner

SOLVE

Hey @CateDuarte,

that's unfortunate. If it's ok that the WF doesn't run on its own, you can also enroll records manually on a monthly basis. Otherwise, I don't have any more ideas how to help you. Let me know if you still find a process that works for you.

If you haven't already, you might also check with your success manager for a trial of Ops Hub. Maybe they can help you out here. 

Cheers, 

Christoph

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9
ChrisoKlepke

SOLVE

Thank you, @TiphaineCuisset .

Hey @CateDuarte , 

good idea to create a calculation property for this. That would have been my first instinct, too. Before we dive deeper into possible solutions to your task, I have two questions:

• Time ranges: What is your client looking for here. Are these rolling date ranges like last 30 or 60 days or specific ones like all deals won in the last quarter or between any other two days?
  • Property set by workflow: What is the final property and for what is it used? What kind of field is it? The reason I'm asking is if the result would be a list similar to a report, we might get this done better with custom report builder. Or do you intend to use that property to segment email campaigns and stuff? Basically: What is the business consideration behind this process?

Thank you for providing more context.

Cheers, 

Chriso

CateDuarte

SOLVE

Hi Chriso,

Thank you for your time.

More context below:

• Time ranges: What is your client looking for here. Are these rolling date ranges like last 30 or 60 days or specific ones like all deals won in the last quarter or between any other two days? They are looking to see, at begining of each month, volume from the last 60 days. 
  • Property set by workflow: What is the final property and for what is it used? What kind of field is it? The reason I'm asking is if the result would be a list similar to a report, we might get this done better with custom report builder. Or do you intend to use that property to segment email campaigns and stuff? Basically: What is the business consideration behind this process? This customer works with auto dealers, and the idea is to classify these montlhy based on their activity. After updated this field will determine what  actions need to be done with each dealer (more Marketing focus, Sales follow-ups, etc). This for me eliminates de report option as I need something to trigger a Workflow, to update the fields, as I see it. This is why I am trying to build lists. As this can serve to update and to use in emailings. 

Hope this helps

Catarina 

Catarina Duarte

0 Upvotes
ChrisoKlepke

SOLVE

Hey @CateDuarte ,

I think I can follow you more now. Thank you for providing additional information, it really helps to understand more of the background than just the technical requirements. Here is what I would do to achieve this visibility. You need two properties and two workflows:

1. Custom Deal Property: The idea is to create a workflow that sets the number of a property to 1 when the deal fits the criteria. The criteria being won and closed date in the past 60 days. Therefore, we need a property that is a number type. Let's call this one Deal in Last 60 Days.
  2. Custom Company Property: This is a calculation property and the result of our process. It should sum up the associated deals property values from the property before. This one is maybe called Number of Deals in Last 60 Days
    Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 07.44.36.png
  3. Now we create a deal-based workflow that is scheduled on the first of every month. It sets the deal property Deal in Last 60 Days to 1. The additional enrollment criteria are the close date within the last 60 days and stage won, of course. But this gets messed up with every new monthly cycle, as the associated deals might not be in the last 60 days anymore. That's why we need a second workflow

Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 07.31.01.png

Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 07.43.45.png
  4. In an additional deal-based workflow. We clear the property before every time before we run the one which sets the Deal in Last 60 Days Property to 1. So, every month/cycle, we check if a deal was won in the past 60 days or not. And if not, we clear that property.Screenshot 2022-03-09 at 07.48.10.png

You could also run this daily or weekly. Actually, it makes more sense as it will be more accurate since the past 60 days change daily.

I hope this helps you and your client to get the info they need. Feel also free to mark this post as a solution to help the community find answers. If you still have additional questions, let me know, and I see if I can sort it out.

Cheers,

Chriso

CateDuarte

SOLVE

Hi Chriso, 

Again thank you so much for your insights. Really good. 

Our challenge is also that to use Scheduled Workflows we need Ops Hub professional and for now its not an option (cost wise).

I had tought of the scheduling part but really appreciate the solution you gave for triggering the WFs.

Thanks!

Catarina 

Catarina Duarte

0 Upvotes
ChrisoKlepke
Solution

SOLVE

Hey @CateDuarte,

that's unfortunate. If it's ok that the WF doesn't run on its own, you can also enroll records manually on a monthly basis. Otherwise, I don't have any more ideas how to help you. Let me know if you still find a process that works for you.

If you haven't already, you might also check with your success manager for a trial of Ops Hub. Maybe they can help you out here. 

Cheers, 

Christoph

CateDuarte

SOLVE

Hi @ChrisoKlepke , your solution is being very helpful.

Wondering if you have any ideas for another challenge, still in this context.

I need to find a solution for this "has at least 1 deal won every month , for the past 2 months". Going round and can't find a way to figure out. Any idea would we awesome!

PS - maybe this WF could work. I could create a field for Previous Month and Last 30 days and them combine them. 

CateDuarte_0-1648121345453.png

Tks

Catarina

Catarina Duarte

ChrisoKlepke

SOLVE

Hi @CateDuarte ,

glad I was able to help.

I might have an idea for this but it requires a workaround.

First, we would need to copy the value from the company property Deals won in last 60 days to a new one. You can name this was whatever you want. The reason why we need to copy this, is that we can't use all the enrollment options with a calculation property. 

To copy, just use the workflow action and enroll them with the criteria Deals won in last 60 days is known. Make sure to enable reenrollment so if the property changes, the copy of the value gets triggered again.

Next, create a workflow that enrolls companies based on that new property and define the criteria as updated in last 30 days + the number value that is in that property should be equal or higher than two.  This criteria assumes that at least one of them was in the last 30 days and on the others before that. 

With that workflow, you can do anything you like. Set another property or add them to a list. Your call.

Let me know what you think or if you have any questions. It could also be that my thinking of this process is bit messed up. You are welcome to challenge this approach.

Cheers, 

Chriso

CateDuarte

SOLVE

@ChrisoKlepke I added a possible solution (added a screen of the WF). Do you think this would work? Comined with the same workflow for Less than 30 days? 

Anyway I am goin to test it and will add here if it works. 

Tks!

Catarina 

Catarina Duarte

0 Upvotes
TiphaineCuisset
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hi @CateDuarte 

Thank you for reaching out.

I want to tag some of our experts on this - @DarianVretenar @ChrisoKlepke do you have any thought for @CateDuarte on this?

Thank you!

Best

Tiphaine

Saviez vous que la Communauté est disponible en français?
Rejoignez les discussions francophones en changeant votre langue dans les paramètres !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !