Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

dallisking

Unable to import into a static list?

SOLVE

Hello,

Just today the dropdown to import into a static list has become greyed out for me. I have superadmin status so there shouldn't be any permission issue involved with this. I first wanted to add new contacts to a current list and then I tried creating a whole new list and importing contacts that way. In both cases the button was greyed out. What could cause this to happen and how can I fix it? 

Thank you!Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 1.56.02 PM.png

1 Accepted solution
PamCotton
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @emmathompson_0 

If you filter  your contacts by the import name, you are able to bulk add contacts to a static list from your contacts home ( more information here

I hope this helps,

Pam

Você sabia que a Comunidade está disponível em outros idiomas?
Participe de conversas regionais, alterando suas configurações de idioma !

Did you know that the Community is available in other languages?
Join regional conversations by changing your language settings !

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14
Ben7
Contributor

SOLVE

I wish to add my support to this request. 

0 Upvotes
sharonlicari
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hey @Ben7 

If you are looking to import a static list, when importing contacts you'll see a checkbox at the end of the import labeled "Create a list of contacts from this import".  This will create a static list containing all contacts with the name of the imported file. 

I hope this helps

Sharon

FeelReal
Participant

SOLVE

Right, but the issue we're all asking for resolution is the ability to import into an existing static list, not just create a new one. However, someone else pointed out that you can create a new one, and then use the Contacts interface to filter by that static list, use the checkboxes, and add those contacts to an existing list. It's a reasonable work-around.

mbutterworth
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

Hey there @dallisking! Thanks for posting about this in the community.

Within the new Lists UI, the "Import into list" function is no longer available. The new method to use as a workaround here would be to use an Active list, import your CVS files, then adapt this Active list to include the enrollment of these imports. To do this within the list, you'll choose the enrollment trigger of Import then search for your import title.

We understand that with UI changes like this many features are shuffled, improved upon, or depreciated due to the overall changes made to the tool. If you're interested, I'd love to see any feedback you have on this submitted to the Ideas Forum--we've had lots of great product improvements thanks to helpful tips from our customers through this site.

Best,

Marin

TylerG
Participant

SOLVE

This was a bad UI decision that has created unnecessary workarounds.

UPDATE: While I didn't see it mentioned anywhere in this thread, there is a way at the end of the import to now add the imported contacts to a static list. You will find it on the import summary page after you have completed your import under a drop down menu that reads "More".
ListImport.png

0 Upvotes
faithantion
Contributor

SOLVE

I would really like to see the option to add an import of contacts to a static list. This is particularly important for those of us who don't use HubSpot as our CRM, or who have data in other systems we need to keep in sync with HubSpot. I understand why HubSpot is no longer creating a static list from every import, but importing new contacts to add to an existing list is something we do often and this was possible in our previous systems. There should simply be an option to "add to a list" in the contact import process.

FeelReal
Participant

SOLVE

100%. This is such a basic feature that I expected to exist in HubSpot. My first disappointment with the platform, but still, why take it out? Now it's a far more laborious process to assign each imported contact to an existing list.

logan
Participant

SOLVE

This is a curious update. I actually built an entire process around being able to upload contacts to a specific static list. I spoke to support and understand the backend efficiency and the desire to not create static lists for every import. But, just being able to add to a specific list right there in the import was pretty important for us.

Unfortunately, I don't see the solution proposed above as being scalable. Needing to import and then add to the specific list is a bit time consuming and could potentially lead to error.

Do you know if there are any plans to bring this back?
emmathompson_0
Contributor

SOLVE

I agree - this to me is a basic feature. 
Otherwise, I will end up spending numerous hours cross-referencing contacts when I could simply delete the current and then import the most recent list.

Are there any plans to bring this feature back? 

PamCotton
Solution
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @emmathompson_0 

If you filter  your contacts by the import name, you are able to bulk add contacts to a static list from your contacts home ( more information here

I hope this helps,

Pam

Tinde
Participant

SOLVE

Tried that today only to notice that I wasn't allowed to bring all 600 contacts to an existing static list but only 100 contacts at a time. Hated it. Someone else seemed to notice the same issue: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/HubSpot-Ideas/Add-more-than-100-contact-company-records-to-a-static...

PamCotton
Community Manager
Community Manager

SOLVE

Hello @TindeAfter further investigation, this is working as designed. Currently, a user cannot add more than one page (100max) at a time to a static list. A possible workaround here would be to export the view and re-import it based on contact ID and create a static list from the import or add one page at a time to the static list. I would also recommend to upvote the idea shared in your comment as our product experts are regularly checking our ideas forum. 

Thank you,

Pam

FeelReal
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks @PamCotton! This does indeed seem like a good workaround, and not too many extra steps compared with having a special "important into existing static list" feature on the import tool. The Contacts interface is quite flexible. Cheers, Andy

emmathompson_0
Contributor

SOLVE

Thanks Pam - this is what decided to do in the end. Our Sales team still like to have seperate XLS's so i just manually added the ones that weren't already in HubSpot. 

Thanks for the reply! 

Emma 

0 Upvotes