Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

WillJD
Participant

Segmenting contacts based on interactions with campaign assets

SOLVE

I need to segment contacts into lists based on their interests so that I can send them only content they are likely to be interested in.

I thought that one way to do this would be to create campaigns around particular interests and then add contacts to lists as they interact with assets from particular campaigns.

However, HubSpot doesn't seem to allow me to filter contacts based on what campaign assets they are interacting with.

Is there a way to make this work? Or any other way to tag emails, web pages, and social posts to allow me to segment contacts by interest? It seems like the only way to tag these assets on HubSpot is to add them to campaigns.

0 Upvotes
1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Thanks @WillJD, if you consider this thread closed, you can help the community by marking my first reply as a solution. I'd appreciate it. Cheers!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

0 Upvotes
5 Replies 5
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Thanks @WillJD, if you consider this thread closed, you can help the community by marking my first reply as a solution. I'd appreciate it. Cheers!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @WillJD,

I 100% agree, I'm simply not aware of any way to do this in HubSpot at this stage. Currently, the only option seems to be the route of manually selecting assets and thus filtering contacts.

Since this would be extremely useful, you could submit a request to the HubSpot Ideas section of the community. The product team monitors the submissions and evaluates them based on popularity. I'll happily upvote.

Cheers!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
WillJD
Participant

SOLVE

Hi, I have submitted an idea that would allow emails, social posts, forms, and web pages to be tagged with custom topics that would allow segmentation based on interest. Unlike with a campaign, an email, or other assets, might be tagged with more than one topic such as #marketing #property for example. 

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @WillJD,

You're correct, the campaigns tool in HubSpot allows you to tag related marketing assets and content, so you can easily measure the effectiveness of your collective marketing efforts. Only part of this information is easily accessible for segmentation, through the property First touch converting campaign and Last touch converting campaign. It sounds however like you're interested in the touchpoints between first and last.

My preferred way of doing this is to create active lists and filter for specific assets:

karstenkoehler_0-1625154567864.png

You can filter for specific emails sent in a campaign, views of campaign landing pages or website pages or campaign-related website forms. Let me know if you're missing a campaign critical asset here.

Once contacts are in these lists, you could also update a custom property for interest by bulk editing the list members.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
WillJD
Participant

SOLVE

Thanks, Karsten, I did consider this but it would be very time-consuming as I would have to manually update the list filter every time we created a new email, post, or page belonging to a campaign. 

It would be far easier if this could be automated and add contacts to a list as they interact with campaign assets. We create new emails, posts, forms, and pages on a regular basis so it would take too much time to update the list filters on a daily basis to include these.