Lists, Lead Scoring & Workflows

PriyaMaheshwari

Scheduling an email in a workflow

SOLVE

Hi,

If an email is a part of a workflow, can it be scheduled as well? Or will it be sent instantly when the workflow is turned on?

1 Accepted solution
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @PriyaMaheshwari,

Automated emails and workflows don't have a 'Schedule' button but you can use delays or date-centered workflows to do virtually the same thing.

Delays are a workflow action. They will make a workflow 'wait' for a set amount of time (e.g. 4 hours), until a day or time (e.g. Nov 11th) or until an event happens (e.g. form submission). If you add a delay step right before an automated email, this email would be sent once the delay is over.

'Center on a date' (or 'Center on a date property') is a type of workflow. When you create this type of workflow, you can pick a date and add actions (like email sends) x days before the date, on the date or x days after the date.

To also answer your initial question: Without any of the features described above, yes, a workflow would send an email instantly when a contact arrives at a certain action.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler
HubSpot Freelancer | RevOps & CRM Consultant | Community Hall of Famer

Beratungstermin mit Karsten vereinbaren

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14
karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @PriyaMaheshwari,

I'd recommend checking these steps:

What does the workflow history tab say about the contact? (filter history by contact)

Has the contact previously bounced? (check on contact record)

Is the contact actually fulfilling the enrollment criteria? (in this case: is the contact a member of the list)

Has the contact been previously enrolled in the workflow but re-enrollment is now deactivated?

Let me know how it goes!

Karsten Köhler

Did my post help answer your query? Help the community by marking it as a solution.

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

HI @PriyaMaheshwari,

This is currently not supported, a lot of users have requested this in the HubSpot Ideas section of the community.

Until there is a native feature, you could look into the workaround that @fiachra_duffy has shared here: https://community.hubspot.com/t5/Tips-Tricks-Best-Practices/How-to-A-B-test-within-a-Workflow-workar...

If this post was helpful, as always I'd appreciate if you marked it as a solution.

Best regards!

Karsten Köhler

PriyaMaheshwari

SOLVE

Hey Karsten,

Recently I sent out an email from hubspot to the 2 group Email ids that we have in our organization (one for the US and the other for India). But sadly, none of the team mates received those mails. I am not very sure why that might be.

0 Upvotes
fiachra_duffy
HubSpot Employee
HubSpot Employee

SOLVE

@PriyaMaheshwari @karstenkoehler A/B testing is now in Beta in HubSpot Workflows 🙂 

Contact your Customer Success Manager or Channel Consultant to get enrolled on it 

PriyaMaheshwari

SOLVE

Okay, another question that I have is that I have scheduled a workflow to run between 2-2.30 EST, and the first step is that if a contact is a part of list X he should be sent a mail Y. The workflow is turned on, but I don't see any mail being sent. what could be the problem?

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @PriyaMaheshwari,

Without seeing the workflow settings, it's hard to tell. For starters, this FAQ post might be helpful.

I would go about troubleshooting as follows:

What does the workflow history tab say about the contact? (filter history by contact)

Has the contact previously bounced? (check on contact record)

Is the contact actually fulfilling the enrollment criteria? (in this case: is the contact a member of the list)

Has the contact been previously enrolled in the workflow but re-enrollment is now deactivated?

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

PriyaMaheshwari

SOLVE

Hi Karsten,

Could you help me with how I can A/B test an automated email in an workflow? It there an option?

PriyaMaheshwari

SOLVE

Thanks for such a prompt reply. Another thing, I started my workflow, the first email was sent and then I had put an action for if/then branch. But post that the other mails are not getting sent out. Could you help me with the workflow if I let you know my account details?

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hello @PriyaMaheshwari, happy to have a look, I'll send you a direct message!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
karstenkoehler
Solution
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @PriyaMaheshwari,

Automated emails and workflows don't have a 'Schedule' button but you can use delays or date-centered workflows to do virtually the same thing.

Delays are a workflow action. They will make a workflow 'wait' for a set amount of time (e.g. 4 hours), until a day or time (e.g. Nov 11th) or until an event happens (e.g. form submission). If you add a delay step right before an automated email, this email would be sent once the delay is over.

'Center on a date' (or 'Center on a date property') is a type of workflow. When you create this type of workflow, you can pick a date and add actions (like email sends) x days before the date, on the date or x days after the date.

To also answer your initial question: Without any of the features described above, yes, a workflow would send an email instantly when a contact arrives at a certain action.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

mspeth
Participant

SOLVE

Hi @karstenkoehler 

Thanks for this, but you write: 

> Delays are a workflow action. They will make a workflow 'wait' for a set amount of time (e.g. 4 hours), until a

> day or time (e.g. Nov 11th)

But there is no option to set a date. You can only choose a delay until a day of the week or time.

Am I missing something?

(I'm trying to setup a workflow around an event/webinar which sends out automated emails as reminders before and after the event)

Thanks

Markus

0 Upvotes
PriyaMaheshwari

SOLVE

Okay, if I have added delays between 2 mails, and the workflow is off for the weekends. So, if I set a delay of 1 day after a mail that was sent on Friday, would the next mail be triggered on Monday or Saturday?

P.S- The WF is turned off for weekends.

Thanks

Priya

karstenkoehler
Hall of Famer | Partner
Hall of Famer | Partner

SOLVE

Hi @PriyaMaheshwari,

Delays execute outside of business hours, actions don't (explained here). In your specific scenario: If a contact enters a one-day-delay on Friday but Saturday/Sunday are not included in the workflow business hours, then the next email would be sent on Monday.

Hope this helps!

Karsten Köhler

0 Upvotes
PriyaMaheshwari

SOLVE

Thanks Karsten! 🙂